Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 AM

417 posts, read 824,762 times

Advertisements

there are other ways to be a productive member of society other than working. one of them is volunteering, but of course that doesn't pay the bills. give it up, it's always about the money. more money more problems.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
there are other ways to be a productive member of society other than working. one of them is volunteering, but of course that doesn't pay the bills. give it up, it's always about the money. more money more problems.
Volunteering COSTS money. As I said, if I don't work, the bills still get paid, but there's nothing left over for anything else. That means, nothing left over for gas to go to a volunteer job, or buy clothes for the volunteer job, or buy seeds for the kids to plant in the community garden, or buy books for the seniors to read, etc. etc. etc.

I can't afford to work a volunteer job. But I can afford to work a part time paying job. And if I'm going to do that, I'm glad I can work in an atmosphere of my choosing. And that choosing isn't slave work. That was my point. Someone implied that I'm a slave. I'm telling them - I most certainly am not.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks

Five interviews in three months is great. Not getting any second interviews or job interviews isn't as good. I suggest you practice interviewing with a friend or a professional that you know. Like I said before, you may be saying or doing something that is hindering you in these interviews.
edit: meant job offers.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Volunteering COSTS money. As I said, if I don't work, the bills still get paid, but there's nothing left over for anything else. That means, nothing left over for gas to go to a volunteer job, or buy clothes for the volunteer job, or buy seeds for the kids to plant in the community garden, or buy books for the seniors to read, etc. etc. etc.

I can't afford to work a volunteer job. But I can afford to work a part time paying job. And if I'm going to do that, I'm glad I can work in an atmosphere of my choosing. And that choosing isn't slave work. That was my point. Someone implied that I'm a slave. I'm telling them - I most certainly am not.
That's a good point. I would be more than happy to volunteer at a place I can walk to but you said it takes traveling costs which is why it only makes sense to do it for a part-time job.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM

841 posts, read 1,916,914 times
I've said this before in another thread, now even VOLUNTEERING has become very difficult to do.

When I moved to this area, I figured I would volunteer with the local library. I sent them my resume and an email of interest since they wanted volunteers.

I mentioned I would like to tutor for free. They came back with you should go and take classes at XYZ and get certified by XYZ agency. Then you could tutor.

First off, XYZ agency is located in "the hood" where crime is through the roof. Why would I want to drive to the hood at night to get some certification?

I also have state credentials to teach. Why do I need certification from some agency to tutor a few hours a week FOR FREE when I have a degree and can do it for pay?

I encountered more aggravation at the last state I live in. I tried to volunteer at the local Red Cross but they never could set me up with an appointment. It was all vague. While I would like to volunteer to help out and get new references, I find it very convoluted.

So, yeah, back to the OP's question about degrees, I suppose they want the best bang for the buck. A guy with a BA looks better on paper than a guy with a high school diploma.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,157,949 times
This brings something to mind .... I was browsing the classifieds last Sunday and I saw quite a few entry-level positions that asked for college degree ... and even for Receptionist. Surprised me - a 4 year degree to answer phones ???

Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
This brings something to mind .... I was browsing the classifieds last Sunday and I saw quite a few entry-level positions that asked for college degree ... and even for Receptionist. Surprised me - a 4 year degree to answer phones ???
I just spilled my dinner reading your post about a receptionist requiring a degree-lol

I think the people who create these postings are laughing behind the scenes too

Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,157,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I just spilled my dinner reading your post about a receptionist requiring a degree-lol

I think the people who create these postings are laughing behind the scenes too
You don't think they're serious ?! I couldn't help but wonder, "are they kidding me, a FOUR year degree to answer phones" ????? Why would anyone waste their degree on a receptionist job - unless it truly is, "desperate times" !

I almost wanted to send the employer an email, why would anyone with half a brain waste a college degree on answering phones!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You don't think they're serious ?! I couldn't help but wonder, "are they kidding me, a FOUR year degree to answer phones" ????? Why would anyone waste their degree on a receptionist job - unless it truly is, "desperate times" !

I almost wanted to send the employer an email, why would anyone with half a brain waste a college degree on answering phones!

This was on craiglist?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
I think the reason we see this is because there are enough unemployed people out there who have degrees. You can eliminate the bottom half by requiring degrees. Remember, bondholders care about the aggregate educational levels of the people they employ/.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.