Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

644 posts, read 1,144,948 times

Advertisements

unemployed or underemployed and you're looking for work that you're expected to take jobs most wouldn't take themselves?

Don't get me wrong, I'm underemployed at the moment and I'm just looking for anything right now full time with a salary and I'm not picky by any means, BUT some of the jobs people suggest I take are unbelievable. I know some people are trying to help and I appreciate it, but suggestions like working at a prison or trying to suggest I go apply to another crappy job is just stupid. Why apply from one crappy job to another one? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,069 times
Forget what people say. Apply to only jobs that interest you. Shrugg off any remarks that you may get from people. If you are not interested in a job from the get go then it will show once you start working and you will not be happy anyway. So there is no point. Find a job that you can tolerate and maybe come to eventually enjoy.

Only thing is that with the economy being the way it is and it's so hard to find ANY job is that you may have to take something less than ideal and then continue to look for something that suits you better. As they say..."it takes having a job to find another job." I bet you have heard this before. So, find a job that you can tolerate for up to a year or so and then in your spare time continue to look for a better fit that will make you less miserable. Easier said than done, I know from personal experience, but it will eventually work out... Good luck.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Forget what people say. Apply to only jobs that interest you. Shrugg off any remarks that you may get from people. If you are not interested in a job from the get go then it will show once you start working and you will not be happy anyway. So there is no point. Find a job that you can tolerate and maybe come to eventually enjoy.

Only thing is that with the economy being the way it is and it's so hard to find ANY job is that you may have to take something less than ideal and then continue to look for something that suits you better. As they say..."it takes having a job to find another job." I bet you have heard this before. So, find a job that you can tolerate for up to a year or so and then in your spare time continue to look for a better fit that will make you less miserable. Easier said than done, I know from personal experience, but it will eventually work out... Good luck.
Thanks for the kind words!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Granted it can be quite frustrating especially if the person suggesting the crappy jobs has a good paying career. However I would not be in a rush to choose to not consider a job simply because you think it is crappy or stupid. Many of these jobs are easy to fasttrack into management. They also can give you a lot of exposure to the people that make the hiring decisions at other companies.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
maybe because they think your life choices are wrong unless you do exactly what they did...typical human line of thinking lol

Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
unemployed or underemployed and you're looking for work that you're expected to take jobs most wouldn't take themselves?

Don't get me wrong, I'm underemployed at the moment and I'm just looking for anything right now full time with a salary and I'm not picky by any means, BUT some of the jobs people suggest I take are unbelievable. I know some people are trying to help and I appreciate it, but suggestions like working at a prison or trying to suggest I go apply to another crappy job is just stupid. Why apply from one crappy job to another one? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Don't believe for one second these people are trying to help you. Most of these people who do this are just kicking a man while he is down. I guess it one way they they can feel a little better about their own pathetic life.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,476 times
I can't even get the jobs that reuqire just a pulse so I have to wait until vocrehab interviews me and sees what my goal is.

The only way to get hired at grocery stores, mcdonalds, or any job that just requires a pulse is

1. being a young attractive girl

2. having connections

3. being lucky #1 out of 200

Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
If OP were totally unemployed and hurting for basic needs, a crappy job would be one idea. If OP already has one or close to one, then yes, the suggestions of going for another one or similar are misguided.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 AM

Some of these people don't even know how insulting they sound. They pick the worst jobs for me and when I ask them, "So would you do it if you were in my situation?" They quickly say, "Oh well this isn't about me."

I just don't think it's coming from a good place. I feel like some people are more comfortable if you constantly stuck in a crappy position in life to make themselves feel better.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Don't believe for one second these people are trying to help you. Most of these people who do this are just kicking a man while he is down. I guess it one way they they can feel a little better about their own pathetic life.
Where do you derive this? Maybe the advice was meant to be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment