Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I hear what you are saying - but Facebook is unfortunately filled with people who either brag or complain - the ones who do neither are the ones who never post updates anyway.
Right. Most people brag on facebook how great their lives are, but the ones who complain are those with jobs who complain about going to work. Sometimes I want to shake them and say, "Be grateful you got a job PERIOD!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Right. Most people brag on facebook how great their lives are, but the ones who complain are those with jobs who complain about going to work. Sometimes I want to shake them and say, "Be grateful you got a job PERIOD!"
I've seen that - or my favorite the ones who complain about their kids and then keep getting pregnant...people are very strange! Facebook just highlights that! Try not to let it get to you - they are just the weakest links ;-)

Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I've seen that - or my favorite the ones who complain about their kids and then keep getting pregnant...people are very strange! Facebook just highlights that! Try not to let it get to you - they are just the weakest links ;-)
Oh I don't let it get to me. I get the same crap in real life when people want to pour out their every emotion to me about how much their sucks so much and it's like they forget that I don't feel like hearing such things.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
Facebook has an ignore button. Unfortunately human interaction does not.

People dislike aspects of their job and people they work with. That is how the cookie crumbles. I'd rather they be vocal about it than go postal.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Talking about stuff like that is human nature – and it's even more amplified by online superficial communication. Yes, it would be nice if everyone was tuned in to you and sensitive to your feelings, but their focus is elsewhere. The divorced or never married may have to listen to someone rhapsodizing about their happy marriage; the childless who would love to have a child have to hear about somebody's wonderful children or somebody who mistreats the ones they have; someone losing their home is confronted with someone else's conspicuous consumption. Pick whatever your particular Achille's heel happens to be (in this case, unemployed) and it's going to get twanged.

All you can do is put the wasted energy of resenting hearing those complaints into improving your attitude and go forward. Being unemployed is far harder emotionally than most people realize. But let that resentment fester and it's going to come through when you don't want it to – like maybe with a potential employer. Face it, everyone else's focus is not where yours is – you can't change them. Changing your reaction is the only thing you have the opportunity to impact.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
B.B.C.420, why do you use the phrase "blessed" to have a job? Do you imagine some big fairy comes down on a cable and touches the employed with a magic wand, resulting in a flood of sparkly stars?
Nobody is "blessed" to have a job. The bosses are "blessed" to have people willing to do their work for them. Don't forget THAT.
I wish you luck in your job search, but please, find some self-esteem.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM

So I guess some of you might find it more BLESSED that people are living in shelters because they can't find a job, they are homeless, they can't put food on the table, can't put a roof over their head, can't pay off their debt, can't afford to pay their bills, can't treat themselves to some luxury in life, can't move on with life at all...

...so I guess all that is better than being employed...right? /sarcasm

Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 PM

I see there's a lot of lack of reading comprehension, defensiveness, judgements, and nit picking in this thread.

ONLY one person understood where I was coming from on this issue. It seems on this board it's okay to demonize the unemployed and assumed the worst about the unemployed because of a person's supposed "attitude" or what they are doing wrong, but as soon as you see a problem with the employed there's an issue.

Hypocritical...

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Exclamation Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I gotta tell ya...the first time any employer tells me 'be thankful you have a job' is the last thing they would ever say to me. It's more like 'be thankful I am working for you!' ... I hate that comment.
Koale

Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

In a recession, any job is better than no job at all. Some of you couldn't survive in a The Great Depression with this attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment