Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. I do decline invitations from people outside my field or who seem like they are trying to network to sell me something.
Well networking is about helping others so I figured how helpful can I be as a unemployed person to someone who is employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well networking is about helping others so I figured how helpful can I be as a unemployed person to someone who is employed.
Again you don't understand networking. Until you "get it" you'll never be successful at it.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Again you don't understand networking. Until you "get it" you'll never be successful at it.
Well talk to me about it

Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Totally not true. I personally know of five mid and upper level openings right now that are not posted, not going to be posted, and will be filled through word of mouth. I know of them through colleagues who have contacted me asking if I knew of anyone who might be a good candidate.
I heard an HR person say hiring someone without going through it could land the employer in hot water if EEOC investigates.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I heard an HR person say hiring someone without going through it could land the employer in hot water if EEOC investigates.
Which explains why so many companies post fake job openings.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Not true at all. Employers are not in any way obligated to publicly post an open job. The only thing the EEOC does is make sure people aren't discriminated against due to race, creed, color, etc. That has nothing to do with publicly posting or not posting openings.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,973 times
Quote:
Networking is crucial. Many jobs are never publicly posted, if you don't hear about them through the grapevine you won't even apply, let alone get hired.

Having someone who can put your resume on the desk of a hiring manager with a personal recommendation gives a huge leg up.

A few months back a business associate passed along the resume of someone they knew who was looking for a job, and asked if I might have a suitable opening. I didn't, but a week later I heard of a "perfect fit" opening (not published) at another company and was able to give the details to my associate who passed them on to the job seeker. About a month later I heard he got the job. If it wasn't for his extended network, he most likely never would ahve heard about the job, let alone been hired for it.
Ha, I knew you'd chime in on this thread. You have the word "networking" framed above your bed

Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Quote:
Totally not true. I personally know of five mid and upper level openings right now that are not posted, not going to be posted, and will be filled through word of mouth. I know of them through colleagues who have contacted me asking if I knew of anyone who might be a good candidate.
How does this make sense?

Wouldn't having an extended pool to draw from be better?

They can still pet their ego and play Private Investigator and actively seek people for the position...as well as having a pool of resumes to draw from.

I don't get it.

Do the best for the job really say - "Sorry, I'm not interested because you listed it..." ??

Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Ha, I knew you'd chime in on this thread. You have the word "networking" framed above your bed
Now that's funny-LOL

Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
How does this make sense?

Wouldn't having an extended pool to draw from be better?

They can still pet their ego and play Private Investigator and actively seek people for the position...as well as having a pool of resumes to draw from.

I don't get it.

Do the best for the job really say - "Sorry, I'm not interested because you listed it..." ??
Some people think it's a better chance of a person working out if it's a employee referral
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment