U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM

3,286 posts, read 6,222,884 times

Advertisements

I posted this as a reply somewhere else, but I feel it deserves a thread of its own.

My father's b-wife (my stepmother) decided a few months ago that she needed to become involved with his firm and started complaining about his employees to him and convinced him to fire a couple of them- his secretary and a typist. Both of them had worked for his firm for over five years. Personally, I think she was afraid something was going on with them and my father. When they replaced them, she wanted to make sure that SHE was part of the hiring process and that she would interview the candidates. Now she shows up in his office just about every day, as she has no job of her own, and always finds little things to pick at them about. I live on my own (thankfully) and only visit my father once every week or two, but every time I visit she is complaining about them.

If you are ever interviewed by the boss's wife or otherwise find out that you will be working for the boss AND his wife, RUN!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,103,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I posted this as a reply somewhere else, but I feel it deserves a thread of its own.

My father's b-wife (my stepmother) decided a few months ago that she needed to become involved with his firm and started complaining about his employees to him and convinced him to fire a couple of them- his secretary and a typist. Both of them had worked for his firm for over five years. Personally, I think she was afraid something was going on with them and my father. When they replaced them, she wanted to make sure that SHE was part of the hiring process and that she would interview the candidates. Now she shows up in his office just about every day, as she has no job of her own, and always finds little things to pick at them about. I live on my own (thankfully) and only visit my father once every week or two, but every time I visit she is complaining about them.

If you are ever interviewed by the boss's wife or otherwise find out that you will be working for the boss AND his wife, RUN!!!!
i used to think that family owned businesses would be better to work for than corporations.. not always so.

it's very hard to advance in a family owned business and you're always an 'outsider' and never fully a part of the business.

a corporation has a more fair work environment and has better rules that are in place, also there's a lot more room for advancement and you can actually be a part of the company.

in the situation you describe i'd NEVER last, i hate being watched and micromanaged. it sounds abusive

Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,624,695 times
Been there, done that. Happened a year and a half ago. The situation you describe sounds like camp compared what we all went through at my previous place of employment. The wife there made Linda Blair in Exorcist look like like a girl scout. I had to remove the 9 month job from my resume because she was giving me a bad reference. I resigned on the spot without giving notice 9 months into the job. I refused to be tortured for another 2 weeks, as I know she was that type and would have made my life miserable for the 2 weeks following notice. Husband and wife workplaces, especially if small become hell often. The "Wife" brings the marriage problems into the workplace and ends up taking it out on the other females especially. I say blame the the husband. He has no backbone. Ultimately it's his fault if the company goes down. But no, I would rather clean poop than work for a business owned by a couple.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,637,909 times
I've had both great and terrible experiences with family owned businesses. I think each needs to be looked at individually rather than as a blanket statement.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 AM

878 posts, read 1,284,668 times
Working for Mom and Pops machine shop with 3M in annual sales hasn't been nearly as lucrative as working for the global aerospace company with 20B in annual sales.

I'm better off and there's a lot less nickel and dimeing (sp) now.... LOL

Old 02-27-2012, 05:13 AM

808 posts, read 2,812,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've had both great and terrible experiences with family owned businesses. I think each needs to be looked at individually rather than as a blanket statement.
I agree with this statement here.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM

11,817 posts, read 14,196,268 times
This is an extreme but telling example. Someone applied for unemployment because of being in the crossfire of the husband and wife owners of a restaurant who threw knives at each other frequently.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,637,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
This is an extreme but telling example. Someone applied for unemployment because of being in the crossfire of the husband and wife owners of a restaurant who threw knives at each other frequently.
By the same token, I worked for a restaurant that was husband/wife owned, neither ever stepped foot in the kitchen. The ones throwing the knives at each other were the unrelated to anyone cooks. I remember one time the sous chef slamming the microwave door so hard in a fit of anger that it fell off the hinges. Never a dull moment.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,913,606 times
Also, don't forget if there is ever trouble with their marriage, the business and your job can be jeopardized.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM

12,761 posts, read 24,259,642 times
I have a friend who always favors getting sort of odd jobs, like being an assistant for one woman who runs a PR business out of her home, or a family that coordinates the supervision for a brain-damaged relative. She isn't anti-corporate, so much as she has no skills for a corporation and has always looked under "general help" in the local newspaper, and always found some odd thing run be a few people.
If the person/family is well wrapped, fine. If not, the lack of other people around certainly magnifies any other advantages of the job. Also, if the number of employees is under the right number, a lot of rules and regs don't apply.
I'd work such a job if I didn't have another choice at the time, but all of the above caveats apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or