Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,567,144 times

Advertisements

i am very well educated, i worked long and hard to get my two bachelors degrees. I had ten years of customer svc experience before i started. i had management experience, professional experience in HR and managing an apartment for adults with disabilities.

I am working in a call center. i have been here 3 years. employment isn't an issue in North Dakota with unemployment at 3 PERCENT. (lowest in the nation)

I work the graveyard shift, and have been very reliable. I have twice called in sick in three years, i come in for people on a regular basis when they are sick.

I am professional, and do a good job.

Yet, new people who have only a HS diploma and little or no experience keep getting promoted ahead of me. they keep getting trained in on new tasks and skills. on the graveyard shift there are only 3 of us working, and when the senior (lead) for our shift left, in the past the most senior rep would be promoted as it takes two months to train for MY job alone, so it's easier to just uptrain the most senior rep to THAT and hire someoe for My position. they have ALWAYS done it that way in the past.

the hired someoen from OUTSIDE of the company and trained them in for four months to be MY LEAD.

i CANNOT work somewhere with NO CAREER potential. I am future oriented and i can't stand being stuck in a menial job as a peon like this forever. i get to bored.

I'm thinking about teaching english abroad for a year and then coming back and going to grad school part time and working full time.

I've vowed to be out of here by end of summer?

am i crazy to be this mad?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
Have you bothered to have a discussion with your boss about where you'd like to see your career go with this company?

And nothing for nothing, but why are you working in a call center if you've got two degrees? That is probably the problem--they don't think you're interested in sticking around, so why invest in you?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 AM

50,000 posts, read 63,325,358 times
If you are so educated, why are you working in a call center?
In most businesses there are scheduled reviews and evaluations of an employee's performance. Have you been evaluated, and if so, what did they say?
If not, ask for a meeting with your supervisor to find out why you have been passed over.
It does seem that you are not going anywhere in your present job, but don't quit it until you have found another one.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you bothered to have a discussion with your boss about where you'd like to see your career go with this company?

And nothing for nothing, but why are you working in a call center if you've got two degrees? That is probably the problem--they don't think you're interested in sticking around, so why invest in you?

he told me that what i need to advance is a 'go getter' attitude.

since i work the graveyard shift, i never see him and haven't seen him more than twice in the three years i've worked here.. so how would he know.

secondly, the other people being advanced have some of the lasiest attitudes. here.

I think what it really is is he promotes who sucks up and who he likes on a personal level.

he promotes FRIENDS from OUTSIDE of work.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you are so educated, why are you working in a call center?
In most businesses there are scheduled reviews and evaluations of an employee's performance. Have you been evaluated, and if so, what did they say?
If not, ask for a meeting with your supervisor to find out why you have been passed over.
It does seem that you are not going anywhere in your present job, but don't quit it until you have found another one.

since i work the graveyard shift, i never see him and haven't seen him more than twice in the three years i've worked here.. so how would he know.

secondly, the other people being advanced have some of the lasiest attitudes. here.

I think what it really is is he promotes who sucks up and who he likes on a personal level.

he promotes FRIENDS from OUTSIDE of work. everyone he 'promotes' are people who he knows in his personal life.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post

he promotes FRIENDS from OUTSIDE of work.
I'd start looking for a new job. He probably hears about you through your peers, and I suspect that you don't get along well with them. I'm going out on a limb to say that you think you are above them because of your degrees and that rubs them the wrong way.

And again, why are you working at a call center if you have two degrees?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd start looking for a new job. He probably hears about you through your peers, and I suspect that you don't get along well with them. I'm going out on a limb to say that you think you are above them because of your degrees and that rubs them the wrong way.

And again, why are you working at a call center if you have two degrees?
because i was suffering from severe anxiety and i needed a simple job that wasn't stressful, which it's not because it's a small relaxed call center but now i'm getting better. i have made a promise to myself to be out of here by the end of summer. and when i make a promise like this to myself i always keep it. when i do leave during the exit interview i will say EXACTLY what i think

Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
because i was suffering from severe anxiety and i needed a simple job that wasn't stressful, which it's not because it's a small relaxed call center but now i'm getting better. i have made a promise to myself to be out of here by the end of summer. and when i make a promise like this to myself i always keep it. when i do leave during the exit interview i will say EXACTLY what i think
It sounds like you aren't cut out to be management material if you can't handle stress/anxiety--at least not there.

I would caution you to not burn bridges during the exit interview.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,007,509 times
Quote:

I'm thinking about teaching english abroad for a year and then coming back and going to grad school part time and working full time.
My soon to be graduating daughter is trying for this route, she has a major job interview at the end of March in Toronto,, looks to me like a great job that she says pays $3500 a month. there are several companies that deal with teaching English abroad, she's hoping to get to Japan through this company
Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme Canada - Home

Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,976,071 times
Quote:
i am very well educated, i worked long and hard to get my two bachelors degrees. I had ten years of customer svc experience before i started. i had management experience, professional experience in HR and managing an apartment for adults with disabilities.

I am working in a call center. i have been here 3 years. employment isn't an issue in North Dakota with unemployment at 3 PERCENT. (lowest in the nation)

I work the graveyard shift, and have been very reliable. I have twice called in sick in three years, i come in for people on a regular basis when they are sick.

I am professional, and do a good job.

Yet, new people who have only a HS diploma and little or no experience keep getting promoted ahead of me. they keep getting trained in on new tasks and skills. on the graveyard shift there are only 3 of us working, and when the senior (lead) for our shift left, in the past the most senior rep would be promoted as it takes two months to train for MY job alone, so it's easier to just uptrain the most senior rep to THAT and hire someoe for My position. they have ALWAYS done it that way in the past.

the hired someoen from OUTSIDE of the company and trained them in for four months to be MY LEAD.

i CANNOT work somewhere with NO CAREER potential. I am future oriented and i can't stand being stuck in a menial job as a peon like this forever. i get to bored.

I've vowed to be out of here by end of summer?

am i crazy to be this mad?
Why wait? Go now, do your employer a favor and take your attitude elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment