U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,150,599 times

Advertisements

Do you admit to benefitting from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,233,512 times
I experienced it but it had the opposite effect for me. It made my co-workers hate me and everyday they committed themselves to making my work day a living hell. The manager saw what was going on and tried to step in but she didn't know how because she knows it was mostly her fault for showing favoritism toward me. I ended up quiting because it just became unbearable to deal with having to go to work everyday not being able to relax and just do your job without any bs. I actually ran into 1 of the ex co-workers who had it out for me and he's unemployed. That's karma baby!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM

23,998 posts, read 32,360,224 times
My boss was sleeping with a coworker. Want to talk about favoritism? I ended up doing my job and half of hers while she came in an hour late, two a two hour lunch, and left two hours early every day.

I finally had enough and reported it. He got canned, she got demoted. I a year later because the entire department was just too toxic to stick around.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 AM

457 posts, read 170,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I experienced it but it had the opposite effect for me. It made my co-workers hate me and everyday they committed themselves to making my work day a living hell. The manager saw what was going on and tried to step in but she didn't know how because she knows it was mostly her fault for showing favoritism toward me. I ended up quiting because it just became unbearable to deal with having to go to work everyday not being able to relax and just do your job without any bs. I actually ran into 1 of the ex co-workers who had it out for me and he's unemployed. That's karma baby!
That is usually what happens when your boss shows favoritism.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,700,083 times
Yes. I was shown favoritism for knowing how to speak Spanish (my boss was a native Spanish-speaker). Now I am quiet about my languages on the job (unless it's the nature of the job itself) and only use my language skills to the max with customers.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 AM

200 posts, read 332,420 times
I think every work place has favortism. I prefer to put myself in the mid range. Get a long with the boss and their favorites, but don't become a part of it. But also don't be bitter about it. Do your work, stay out of the drama...and all is good

Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM

8,524 posts, read 8,326,468 times
Default Ever experienced favortism at work?

Of course I have. That's how I keep getting promoted.

If you think people become a success by "hard work" alone, you're fooling yourself.

"I support favoritism at work".

This message was sponsored by "Ron."

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM

1,968 posts, read 4,498,301 times
I'm not sure if Ron was being facetious or not, but he's def on to something. I've rarely seen the hardest worker or most qualified or most skilled get the promotion. It's all about being the favorite.

That being said, I was my former female boss's favorite and it was awful. Sure, I got to leave early and take extended lunches, but it was usually because I was running errands for her. Also, I got to pick up the slack for the deadbeats she didn't/couldn't fire. Oh, yeah, and then I got to put up with the stink-eye from coworkers who thought I had it made.

I was also my male boss's favorite and that was an entirely different situation. He gave me the best shifts, lots of mentoring, etc. Sure, my coworkers hated me, but it didn't bother me in the least.

Maybe it depends if it's same sex or opposite sex? Male vs female bosses? I dunno. It's not fair, but neither is the workplace.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 AM

19,489 posts, read 11,610,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Do you admit to benefitting from it?

I think anyone who has ever worked for someone else has experienced this on one side of the favorite or the other. It is not something new in the working world.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM

5,190 posts, read 2,562,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Of course I have. That's how I keep getting promoted.

If you think people become a success by "hard work" alone, you're fooling yourself.

"I support favoritism at work".

This message was sponsored by "Ron."

Hear! Hear!

That's how I get promoted too. I repeat what I said before. Hard work or technical skill only accounts for 1/3 of your job performance at work place.

I tell you, when you are not the favorite, it is YOUR fault, not the boss' fault. You are simply not doing your job. Anybody knows what your job really is?

Please don't make a comment about "give head to get ahead." I am talking about a professional environment here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment