U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
 
155 posts, read 200,169 times
Reputation: 323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Big difference. Kids aren't being handed a check every week.

I'm not opposed to u/e, I'm opposed to the notion of letting people stay on it with no end in sight, especially when they are refusing work because it's not the job they want to do or for the salary they want to make. (And I'm not expecting a 64 year old to dig ditches.) Just like a kid who is a total screw up and gets kicked out of school, adults who refuse to work should be kicked off u/e. Otherwise it's no different than welfare.
I'll say it again, if we say that the government knows what is best for our kids then it must know what is best for the unemployed. And if we say that the government knows what is best for SOME unemployed then we must say that they know what's best for ALL. And if the government thinks that allowing someone to collect unemployment benefits for weeks on end is prudent then who are we to argue. You can't pick and choose. There are many people who feel that welfare and unemployment benefits are just as important as public education for the health of the country overall. Who's to say they are wrong?
After all we are not living within a pure system here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,080,740 times
Reputation: 12969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Yeah Im reluctant too look for jobs over 45 minutes to an hour away not because of traffic because of a little season called WINTER and lake effect snow... Possibly finding myself stuck in a snow drift on the highway.... I guess that makes me a horrible person ?
I spent over half of my life in Upstate NY--the part that gets lake effect snow, and I dealt with it. For over five years I drove an hour each way to and from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 PM
 
155 posts, read 200,169 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Yeah Im reluctant too look for jobs over 45 minutes to an hour away not because of traffic because of a little season called WINTER and lake effect snow... Possibly finding myself stuck in a snow drift on the highway....
That is understandable. There's nothing wrong with making a personal choice for yourself and sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,080,740 times
Reputation: 12969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
I'll say it again, if we say that the government knows what is best for our kids then it must know what is best for the unemployed. And if we say that the government knows what is best for SOME unemployed then we must say that they know what's best for ALL. And if the government thinks that allowing someone to collect unemployment benefits for weeks on end is prudent then who are we to argue. You can't pick and choose. There are many people who feel that welfare and unemployment benefits are just as important as public education for the health of the country overall. Who's to say they are wrong?
After all we are not living within a pure system here.
It used to be that you had to apply for a certain number of jobs and appear in person every other week with a list of where you had applied to get your check. Maybe that's not a bad idea to go back to. They can do random checks and if they find out that someone turned down work or didn't apply where they say they did, cut them off.

I'm talking about getting rid of abuse, which is no different than government employees who sit in an office surfing the web all day while collecting a paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
 
155 posts, read 200,169 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It used to be that you had to apply for a certain number of jobs and appear in person every other week with a list of where you had applied to get your check. Maybe that's not a bad idea to go back to. They can do random checks and if they find out that someone turned down work or didn't apply where they say they did, cut them off.

I'm talking about getting rid of abuse, which is no different than government employees who sit in an office surfing the web all day while collecting a paycheck.
But you can't crack down on one and not the other which is why, in the end, nobody will be cracked down on and the status quo will just continue on. "Abuse" is rampant EVERYWHERE. Abuse is also a relative idea, what you consider abuse someone else may consider a valid social service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Kentucky Girl
428 posts, read 766,368 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I spent over half of my life in Upstate NY--the part that gets lake effect snow, and I dealt with it. For over five years I drove an hour each way to and from work.

Yeah I know I might have to suck it up and deal just hate having to worry about it all the time and stress about being on time in the winter. Was yours all highway? I have a interview Friday for a bank branch position about 35 minutes from my house so heres hoping ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
 
155 posts, read 200,169 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Yeah I know I might have to suck it up and deal just hate having to worry about it all the time and stress about being on time in the winter. Was yours all highway? I have a interview Friday for a bank branch position about 35 minutes from my house so heres hoping ....
Well the good news is that you shouldn't have to worry about snow on Friday. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Kentucky Girl
428 posts, read 766,368 times
Reputation: 428
LOL for real... However if it did Flurry yesterday... Gotta love MI weather... Anyways if it makes anyone feel better in Michigan since I started Tier 1 I have to submit work search records everytime I go to the state website and do MARVIN... However Im not sure they have enough staff to review all the ones that are submitted or not...Since Im registered with 4 Temp services and only need to submit 2 work searches per week Im covered...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM
 
16 posts, read 38,734 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Chemistry and Biology it is hard to believe but it happens frequently. I put out application after application for years getting only sporadic interviews even with an MS and 7 years experience. When I do interview I have to deal with imbeciles that have no interest in qualifications but only want to do the typical psychobabble BS that interviews have degenerated into now a days. I probably have several thousand applications and the only offers I've had I rejected because it was the same permatemp crap I'm already dealing with or crappy $15 an hour offers.

A lot of the so called useful majors are actually useless.
My hubby would be thankful to have a job that paid $15 an hour be careful what you say, someone out there is always worse off than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 53,080,740 times
Reputation: 12969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Yeah I know I might have to suck it up and deal just hate having to worry about it all the time and stress about being on time in the winter. Was yours all highway? I have a interview Friday for a bank branch position about 35 minutes from my house so heres hoping ....
It was a combination of rural roads and highway. I went off the road several times (same place every time!), usually some nice guy in a pickup with a chain would stop and pull me out. It sucked, but it was better than not working. Just leave early and go slow. Most of my former employers were fine with people coming in a few minutes late during bad weather. it was the ones who came in late all the time or if we were having a few flurries that they didn't have tolerance for.

Good luck with the interview on Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 PM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top