U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM

52 posts, read 65,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
RANT:
I did everything right I dont understand! I did the multii-internships,i went to the top school, i got a real major, i got experience in college, i got the grades..and have applied to over 565 jobs and i'm just tired of not working..

who's d**k do i have to suck to get a job around here??! seriously sometimes i want to put that in the resume
"bj available upon request" instead of references then maybe something will happen

ok i just needed to say that.. anyone else want to rant with me
I feel your pain and you are not alone. There are many people in your current position. It is very hard to remain positive and upbeat when you are receiving no reward for your efforts, so I completely understand your frustration. The fact is that there is an abundance of well qualified applicants for every position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,045,883 times
Quote:
i do not express an attitude to employers or anyone else.. just keep it all bottled inside and explode when i'm alone
I am not talking about the anger. I am talking about the attitude that you deserve a job because you have an undergrad degree and a few internships. Anymore, an undergrad degree in business is about as useful as a degree in poetry.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM

52 posts, read 65,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
In my case that would result in my resume being thrown in the trash because it would appear that I'm applying to stuff that I have no education/background in. What causes me to be overqualified is also the only thing that shows I have any kind of education or experience in the field.

"Survival" jobs are not that easy to find either, depending on where you live. Many places have a large number of workers that make a career out of food service and other "lower" level jobs, and those are the people who are going to be chosen over people who have zero experience working in the service industry and are only taking the job because they "can't find anything else." There's a restaurant being built here where I live and they already have over 1,000 applicants.
Excellent post.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM

651 posts, read 1,526,449 times
Quote:
Business Adminstration: Marketing
New York City job market is not as bad as other places. There's too much money floating around in NY for it to tank like other places.

My friend who never worked a day in his life (28 years old) recently got a job for the first time. He gets paid garbage (under 30k) but he's happy to be working. So there's definitely jobs out there and not just for the people with the best resumes. That place is actually still hiring, but they low ball their salaries due to the tough times.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,532,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
New York City job market is not as bad as other places. There's too much money floating around in NY for it to tank like other places.

My friend who never worked a day in his life (28 years old) recently got a job for the first time. He gets paid garbage (under 30k) but he's happy to be working. So there's definitely jobs out there and not just for the people with the best resumes. That place is actually still hiring, but they low ball their salaries due to the tough times.
I just checked the craiglist site for NYC and It's a lot more jobs than Philadelphia from what I saw.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,256,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If anybody needs an attitude adjustment, it's the employers who automatically assume that "unemployed" means "unemployable."
True to a point.

Also, there may be some "adjustment" needed among those who always blame "employers" for not hiring them, or who believe they are always the most qualified for a position they ultimately did not get (maybe if one is not getting hired, then maybe they are not as qualified as they believe).

Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM

8,021 posts, read 6,252,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This post gives me a hint that your attitude might need some work.
She is frustrated for Christ sakes. Do you think the OP is a machine? That she should have no emotions? She has to vent somewhere.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM

754 posts, read 1,234,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most students taking chemistry or physics in high school aren't going to be the misbehaving miscreants. Especially if you can land a job teaching AP level courses or at a desirable private school.
One would think, but not necessarily true. Here in TX, everyone is required to have 4 years of science so basically everyone ends up in chemistry and physics. You can imagine how well that turns out. I'm sure things are already or headed this way in other states as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM

26,589 posts, read 53,080,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorocko28 View Post
It doesn't work that way. I have applied to positions outside my field and have yet to receive a single interview. For example, a Trader Joe's opened up here in town and they had open interviews. Over 1,000 people showed up during the course of the week for a total of 40 positions. Some had to wait in line for hours as a line started forming in the wee hours of the morning. Now why would Trader Joe's hire me, an engineer, for a grocery position when I have absolutely no grocery experience?
Because retail stores hire people with great personalities.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:48 PM

8,206 posts, read 12,472,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
One would think, but not necessarily true. Here in TX, everyone is required to have 4 years of science so basically everyone ends up in chemistry and physics. You can imagine how well that turns out. I'm sure things are already or headed this way in other states as well.
Back when I was in HS everyone had to take 1 year of biology, 1 semester of Chem, and 1 semester of physics. An additional year of chemistry and an additional year of physics was elective which naturally I took. There were definitely fewer miscreants in the elective sciences than the required ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or