U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,999 posts, read 2,455,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yep, and I've done this. I volunteered as a Big Brother. I'm going to church. I'm praying to God for a miracle (and I'm not religious). I've struggled to think of some sort of business, to no avail. I'm on the brink. If it gets to a homeless situation, thats the point I'll commit suicide.
lol i tried the god thing it wasn't working, so im starting to get desperate and convert to wiccan and cast a spell for a job.. how crazy do i sound lol? i read my tarot cards twice a week now -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe a rewrite of your resume by a professional resume writer might make a difference..
i have redone it recently but i did see on a job board called mediabistro about paying someone to redo it for 150 dollars with a consultation.. should i? since i must suck at it horribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
I suspect your resume is the problem. Putting "References available upon request" is a very outdated practice. That's a given and doesn't belong on the resume. I think this needs an overhaul and suggest you spends days on it. It matters.

Secondly, get on LinkedIn and join every group related to your major and field. Add every recruiter who specializes in it. Network. Respond to links, join discussions.

There are jobs, you can get them. It takes work. A lot of work. Finding a job is a full time job on its own.
and references i have taken out of the bottom, simply because it doesn't fit anymore on the resume
i am on linkedin, i have joined groups, often i see in the groups people post "stop begging for jobs in this group" "don't post how badly you need a job" "stop messaging people to look at your resume"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,309,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm going to have to agree with you here.

It is amazing, how attitude, personality, and style matter when it comes to resumes, cover letters, and interviews.

I think one just has to suck it up, and just play the game, even if it sounds superficial.

Applying for jobs is a little like a sales pitch. Period. Possibly even acting. Figuring out how to be sincere AND saying what they want to hear.

I think if one simply accepts this fact, and puts on a front that will be attractive, that makes a huge difference.
In my first year out of college, I had a hiring manager tell me "60% of any job is attitude, personality and enthusiasm, 40% is skill". I am not saying that is right or wrong, I am saying that is how the world works.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,309,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
lol i tried the god thing it wasn't working, so im starting to get desperate and convert to wiccan and cast a spell for a job.. how crazy do i sound lol? i read my tarot cards twice a week now -_-

i have redone it recently but i did see on a job board called mediabistro about paying someone to redo it for 150 dollars with a consultation.. should i? since i must suck at it horribly

and references i have taken out of the bottom, simply because it doesn't fit anymore on the resume
i am on linkedin, i have joined groups, often i see in the groups people post "stop begging for jobs in this group" "don't post how badly you need a job" "stop messaging people to look at your resume"
Do you mind posting your resume here? Blank out names of people/places.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:05 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,605,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Interesting about Australia. Thing is, a lot of those jobs that pay well over there don't pay so well here.
I knew Americans have poor geography knowledge, but not knowing Canadian provinces?

Alberta and Saskatchewan are Canadian provinces with white-hot oilfield economy. My point was since they are so pressed to look for workers as far as Australia, American workers would have been more than welcome. It's a shorter time to learn a trade, even if you have to apprentice first - they take apprentices. The Canadian dollar hovers around American, and when it's stronger than the greenbuck, you are making even more in US dollars.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM

508 posts, read 708,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Yes, certainly stop begging for jobs or sending them your resumes. Participate in discussion topics. They'll often talk about trends or insights or other things in your field of choice. Have an opinion, post your thoughts, give ideas. This will show proof of your knowledge and then they will come to you. Don't beg, just stand out and you won't need to.

Take the tips about the resume to heart. Honestly, try doing a revamp. Start from scratch. Don't just post job descriptions, post professional experience with real actions and quantifiable results. Network. Volunteer. Put all that in your resume. Resumes are worth more than people give them credit for.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM

7,994 posts, read 5,226,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I knew Americans have poor geography knowledge, but not knowing Canadian provinces?

Alberta and Saskatchewan are Canadian provinces with white-hot oilfield economy. My point was since they are so pressed to look for workers as far as Australia, American workers would have been more than welcome. It's a shorter time to learn a trade, even if you have to apprentice first - they take apprentices. The Canadian dollar hovers around American, and when it's stronger than the greenbuck, you are making even more in US dollars.
Did not catch the bit about the jobs being in Alberta and Saskatchewan. I assure you it does not mean I am not familiar with the globe.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:44 PM

1,099 posts, read 610,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Let me ask you something, if you applied for 600 positions and were turned down you wouldn't be frustrated? Just like the other poster, I don't see entitlement. I see someone who is trying time and time again and getting nowhere and needs somewhere to vent.
I should tell you about my career. I probably put in a 1000 or more applications in my field and still have not found a job in my degree area. When I would go to an interview for a teaching position, I would be in line with 50 people or more at some of these schools. Talk about insane job competition. Yeah, I was frustrated.

However, it is not productive to view oneself as a victim of their situation. Soon as I got over the victim mentality and stopped feeling sorry for myself, I got a job. Not the ideal job, but a job. Actually, I am working two jobs and found out tonight I might have a third job. It is one to pay bills and keep me from starving. Oh, yeah, I am homeless. I have been stuck between the parent's house and cheap hotels. It sucks, but I don't think there are victims in the U.S.A. A home can be replaced. Being unemployed really showed me what matters most in life. It is not material possessions or being able to afford the latest Ipad, Iphone, or new car.

I am now working on developing goals for the future and working to achieve them. I would love to get to where I am financially stable because I want to take a mission trip to some country where people are truly poor. After being poor myself, I don't want to take anything for granted anymore. We have no idea how good we have it in the U.S.A.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,999 posts, read 2,455,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Do you mind posting your resume here? Blank out names of people/places.
i dont know about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Yes, certainly stop begging for jobs or sending them your resumes. Participate in discussion topics. They'll often talk about trends or insights or other things in your field of choice. Have an opinion, post your thoughts, give ideas. This will show proof of your knowledge and then they will come to you. Don't beg, just stand out and you won't need to.

Take the tips about the resume to heart. Honestly, try doing a revamp. Start from scratch. Don't just post job descriptions, post professional experience with real actions and quantifiable results. Network. Volunteer. Put all that in your resume. Resumes are worth more than people give them credit for.
oh i wasn't doing the begging others were, but thats a good idea .. i was told in college your resume shouldn't be longer than a page unless your going for a top level job like (say director of something, or high professional job that would require more than one page)

Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 PM

37,703 posts, read 11,348,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Did you read my second post? I wasn't commenting on the fact that the OP is pissed, the attitude I was talking about is the one where the OP feels entitled to a job because she has a college degree and an internship.

Being frustrated is 100% justified.
So college grads should NOT expect a job after graduation? I realize that jobs are not handed down on a silver platter but the OP stated that he/she applied to several hundred positions. Doesn't sound like an entitled college grad but someone who has put some serious effort in their job search efforts and frustrated at coming up empty-handed.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 AM

37,703 posts, read 11,348,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
These seem to be the most popular advice given on this board which is stupid and it annoys me so much.

1. Relocate
2. Start your own business

That's all you see on this board and it has to be the dumbest advice you can ever give someone
This isn't dumb advice ... Maybe not everyone can relocate or start their own business but there are many that should seriously consider doing one or the other. I really don't wish to relocate out of the LA area but I just accepted an interview several hours north of my comfort zone ... I also just got an idea today of a possible business venture that I could realistically start up once I complete these training programs, which I am planning to do to enhance my resume.

Sometimes desperate times calls for us to re-evaluate our career directions and to think outside the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment