Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,658,838 times

Advertisements

Being overqualified for a position is stupid. Just take the thing that's overqualifying you off your resume....problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,361,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Is this about the OP or MSChemist?
I just jumped in because the OP said he had a so called useful degree and found out now that it is useless for employment and that just screamed science degree to me.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,841,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Being overqualified for a position is stupid. Just take the thing that's overqualifying you off your resume....problem solved.
In my case that would result in my resume being thrown in the trash because it would appear that I'm applying to stuff that I have no education/background in. What causes me to be overqualified is also the only thing that shows I have any kind of education or experience in the field.

"Survival" jobs are not that easy to find either, depending on where you live. Many places have a large number of workers that make a career out of food service and other "lower" level jobs, and those are the people who are going to be chosen over people who have zero experience working in the service industry and are only taking the job because they "can't find anything else." There's a restaurant being built here where I live and they already have over 1,000 applicants.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,357,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Don't you just love that feedback loop? You're unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed, which means you won't get hired, which means you stay unemployed...

Am I the only person who thinks that this makes no ****ing sense whatsoever, and ultimately results in diminishing returns? Those horse**** psych evaluation quizzes are stupid and pointless too, for that matter. People can lie on them. As for "attitude adjustments," people's attitudes tend to adjust for the better once they get hired for jobs! Imagine that!

If anybody needs an attitude adjustment, it's the employers who automatically assume that "unemployed" means "unemployable."

Hilarious. You just made my day.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,357,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't get the assumption that people can just choose to take a lower paying job in their field. I've been trying to do that for a long time now and have been told over and over again that I'm overqualified and they are afraid I would just leave as soon as I found something better. I actually would not do that and tell them so, but employers will always hire someone whose education and experience are the best match for the position. I don't really blame them, I probably would do the same if I were in their shoes, but it is one reason why people become long term unemployed.

then don't worry about it being in "your field." Just take something.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM

52 posts, read 88,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
the only "real" undergraduate degrees are engineering and assorted business degrees (accounting for example).
I have a degree in civil engineering from a top 25 university, my E.I.T. (engineer-in-training) registration and have been unemployed for 40 months since I was laid off. I am up to twenty something interviews now, and have been a finalist on several occassions, but haven't been able to cross the finish line with an offer. I have many distinguished accomplishments in my life, but if I am able to secure an offer in my field, it will be, by far, the biggest accomplishment in my life. And, no, you can't apply to lower positions in your field (or even outside of your field) because they will either see you as overqualified or lacking experience. For example, I know some CAD, but I am unable to get a job as a CAD technician because I don't know it as well as the CAD technicians who attended drafting school for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM

370 posts, read 1,363,364 times
Of course it's not just employed people who get called. I did not have a job for 13 years and got a job. I plan on getting a job again in a few months. It may not be a glamorous job, but I also don't walk around thinking I am too old or too much of a loser to work.

If people want to think they are washed up at 21, 27, 32, 40, 51..and so on...that is very sad.

In the end, OP, you will be okay. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM

52 posts, read 88,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
then don't worry about it being in "your field." Just take something.
It doesn't work that way. I have applied to positions outside my field and have yet to receive a single interview. For example, a Trader Joe's opened up here in town and they had open interviews. Over 1,000 people showed up during the course of the week for a total of 40 positions. Some had to wait in line for hours as a line started forming in the wee hours of the morning. Now why would Trader Joe's hire me, an engineer, for a grocery position when I have absolutely no grocery experience?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,670,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Just curious, what's your major? It's hard to believe someone with a real major can get turned down so many times.
Business Adminstration: Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I'm sorry you are so frustrated.

It seems like there is no reward after all that work but you can't give up.

What sort of work do you do? Can you relocate? Can you try to do something else related to it?
i am willing to do any work pretty much and i am willing to relocate and i apply to all sorts of stuff as long as i'm qualified in the description of the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This post gives me a hint that your attitude might need some work.
i do not express an attitude to employers or anyone else.. just keep it all bottled inside and explode when i'm alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
OMG, don't get me started! Degree in Finance, CFA designation (like a doctorate for Investments), 20 yrs experience in Investment field and going to go bankrupt if the carnage of the last 4 years continues. Oh wait, it will, because I'm unemployed so nobody will hire me! Might as well throw in the towel.
i know right

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Does your resume say "References available on request"? Or was that part of your joke?

Maybe your resume needs an overhaul. How many screening calls are you getting? How many interviews?

You might consider relocating.
it does says references not BJs i was being funny lol, and probably one interview in one year.. i wish i could afford to relocate i really do.. where would be a good place to move while we're talking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
To the OP or anyone else who is not feeling confident because they been unemployed, a friend of mine was unemployed from December 2010 to September 2011 and still was able to find a job.

So don't believe that only employed people are contacted for interviews.
you are always there for me! (i just always see your name in threads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Hilarious. You just made my day.
me too

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

650 posts, read 1,807,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Once you take a low paying job say $9 an hour It will follow you and your next job will offer you $10 an hour even if the range is $40-50K
I agree with this. With the economy the way it is, employers seem to love offering you the same rate as your previous job. They know you'll accept that rate, so why not offer it again? Times are tough, they know you'll take it.

If I had to interview all over again, I would have lied about my previous salary. I know now that they were desperate at the time and would have hired me regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment