Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Haha, go talk to all the carpenters and ask how they feel about their career... Not making fun, as work is work, but it's a pretty easy trade, which is why all the illegals are taking their work.

I work as a machinist. Not in a plant, as plant workers make garbage and do basically blue collar burger flipping thanks to automated technology. I do short run production, fixture making, and prototype work. As a trade, if you can do the work, there are ALWAYS places you can go. The problem is, most Americans do not think 45K or so is worth the kind of work I do. If they saw what I do for a living, the number crunching and level of perfection I am expected to achieve, they would demand and expect 80K at least. The free market is largely rejecting their demands, but we'll see... I think I will keep my day job in the mean time.

There are also plenty of repair work machine shops, no matter what your HS counselors tell you. In fact, in my area, we do a lot of repair work. We had a guy bring in a couple extruder pistons last week. His shop can't run without them. We fixed them just before lunch. Our shop made money, and he could get his extruder lines working again. That is how the free market operates
that sounds like serious work for 45K for sure. but hey any job is a job. there are LOTS of people who have tons of experience and skills and have no job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaxist View Post
that sounds like serious work for 45K for sure. but hey any job is a job. there are LOTS of people who have tons of experience and skills and have no job!
At 25 YO, I would say that's a pretty decent and fair income. There will always be people who make more than you, and unfortunately, a lot more who will earn less. The most important thing is to find something you genuinely enjoy doing for a living. There is the obvious, "pick something you love and you will never work a day in your life"... But I would also add... If you pick a profession that you love, you will absorb it like a sponge, and strive to be the best at it. There are a lot of guys in my line of work who went into it for the money, when it was paying very well. Today, they complain about how the profession pays garbage and no one should consider going into it. Largely, it's because they are paid what they are worth. I think most professions have opportunity, but in many ways, it is up to the individual to actually make that opportunity possible.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
i went to a training school for IT. 6 month in class, 6 month internship. so ONE year total. then i got hired by the same company i had internship in. but otherwise they said they wouldnt even look at my resume...

i had 0 experience
Yes, you were lucky.

Congrats on landing the 45K job, but the way things played out for you is largely the exception today, especially in this economy.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
i went to a training school for IT. 6 month in class, 6 month internship. so ONE year total. then i got hired by the same company i had internship in. but otherwise they said they wouldnt even look at my resume...

i had 0 experience
Good job! IT is great like that. You can always just learn something in demand and get a job.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 AM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
IT is the most over saturated field out there and the one most susceptible to being outsourced. It's also one that does not hire people off the street with just degrees. Try and be a Network Admin with no experience behind your degree and certifications.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
IT is the most over saturated field out there and the one most susceptible to being outsourced. It's also one that does not hire people off the street with just degrees. Try and be a Network Admin with no experience behind your degree and certifications.
yeah you are right. they are outsorcing jobs to india right now... i am lucky i still have my IT support job with good pay... but thats cuz my job is PHYSICAL. I have to go and physically work with computers = cant outsorce it, yet. They plan to move to CLOUD thats when we are gona get raped in the ass.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
yeah you are right. they are outsorcing jobs to india right now... i am lucky i still have my IT support job with good pay... but thats cuz my job is PHYSICAL. I have to go and physically work with computers = cant outsorce it, yet. They plan to move to CLOUD thats when we are gona get raped in the ass.
I was riding the Amtrak into Chicago last year. Went to get a cab to take me home. In chatting with the driver, he mentioned something about IT and the outsourcing of jobs... Then he pointed to his Masters degree in IT I couldn't believe it. He actually came from India to earn his education here, worked for a couple of years, and started to watch all the IT jobs move BACK to India.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
I was riding the Amtrak into Chicago last year. Went to get a cab to take me home. In chatting with the driver, he mentioned something about IT and the outsourcing of jobs... Then he pointed to his Masters degree in IT I couldn't believe it. He actually came from India to earn his education here, worked for a couple of years, and started to watch all the IT jobs move BACK to India.
Sadly, had he been an American he'd be whining about his plight, instead of doing what he was doing, practicing an alternative way to earn a living.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Sadly, had he been an American he'd be whining about his plight, instead of doing what he was doing, practicing an alternative way to earn a living.
Or demand government legislated prosperity.

I rarely see any American cab drivers anymore. It's certainly not an easy or lucrative way to earn a living, but it will provide enough for the basics of survival.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Or demand government legislated prosperity.

I rarely see any American cab drivers anymore. It's certainly not an easy or lucrative way to earn a living, but it will provide enough for the basics of survival.

BTW, andywire, on a side note, since I know you admire Germany for both emgineering and buying local, I saw a stellar article on another big difference, and linked the story under Politics, calling it Germany, the Cash only society. I was tempted to put it under employment as were we to mimic cash only, we'd lose some short-term consumer spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment