Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Today I had a "group session" interview. I didn't have work today so I went. Now I feel like this whole topic rings true.

I've never had a group session so I was curious what it was going to be like. There were about 15 people there. We each had to introduce ourselves, and then the director explained the position. Once he was finished we were allowed to ask questions. Finally, the director said he'd call-back some applicant to do one on one meetings. The step after that being a second interview if you make it through.

Putting aside how floored I was by this style (it was a first for me), I felt my hope shrivel into nothingness hearing the qualification of some of the candidates. 2 people there had less experience than me. Hurray! Everyone else crapped all over everything besides my education. Even then, a bunch of them had master's in more relevant fields too.

How the heck am I suppose to compete when half the applicants have 5+ yeas of experience, multiple certifications, and in some cases even a contact. Jeeze...why did I even get asked to go?

The worst part of it is that I'm pretty sure the Group session has been held everyday this week.

Not holding my breath...sigh.
Yes this is aggravating especially the whole part of competing against people waits masters and years of experience all for an entry level spot. Which begs the question , does he newly minted college grad stand a chance against someone who has a higher degree and years of experience all for the same entry level job? I mean think of it from the employers perspective: I could hire the college grad , train him and he would probably do a fine job or I could hire they guy with years of experience who will require less training and yes both are willing to work for the same pay - can you blame the employer? Can you really fault the employer in this case?

The actual entry level jobs are out there, you just have to spend more time looking for them.

Sadly i don't have any full proof or magic advice , all I can say is keep trying keep applying, be willing to start in a field that is less than ideal that hopful one day you can transition to the more ideal job .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 02:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Can we just say that for the most part it is eat the youth out there? We were told to enter college and then found out "Oh you shouldn't have gotten your loans. You should have worked, entered trades or your major was wrong." Way to kick people when you're down society.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Beats me. My own degree is pretty useless except to say I have one. Once I realized it wasn't going to work for me, I got a grip and moved on to other things. It happens.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:59 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Can we just say that for the most part it is eat the youth out there? We were told to enter college and then found out "Oh you shouldn't have gotten your loans. You should have worked, entered trades or your major was wrong." Way to kick people when you're down society.

Its sad when you see more of this "kick a person down" than people supporting one another.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Its sad when you see more of this "kick a person down" than people supporting one another.
Exactly. Then they try to help by saying "we need to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps" and then complain when people say how inaccurate that idea is.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 PM

54 posts, read 86,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I actually broke down the whole interview process to step by step so that you don't feel like it's self-mutilation. :-) It also helps when you go oI acn practice interviews, you know what to practice on.

I have been to many practice interviews myself. :-) What I find is that if I don't go to practice interviews for a while, I get rusty.
I didn't see it.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
On the other hand, the two different times I got a job were from interviews where I was very quiet and attentive, not expressive or talkative at all. Employers want passive and un-opinianated employees, I think.
This is the exact opposite from what I've seen. If you are passive and too quiet they will either decide you are either unenthusiastic about the job or you are an introvert with poor communication skills who will be a troublemaker and not be able to work on a team. Both assumptions are from the HR unprofession's book of logical fallacies and BS psychological profiling for bimbos.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
This is the exact opposite from what I've seen. If you are passive and too quiet they will either decide you are either unenthusiastic about the job or you are an introvert with poor communication skills who will be a troublemaker and not be able to work on a team.
I'd have to agree but I have to add that passive shows that you're short on critical thinking and expression. At least in white collar jobs, employers want someone who's going to constantly challenge the current ways, create better solutions and express them to management. Someone who is passive will likely just do what they are told.
Quote:
Both assumptions are from the HR unprofession's book of logical fallacies and BS psychological profiling for bimbos.
Looks like you have some aggression towards HR Professionals that likely resulted from your past experiences with them due to your inadequacies. Hope you can crawl out of it and move forward. Best of luck!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'd have to agree but I have to add that passive shows that you're short on critical thinking and expression. At least in white collar jobs, employers want someone who's going to constantly challenge the current ways, create better solutions and express them to management. Someone who is passive will likely just do what they are told.
That's true of any business, so long as the company is run by intelligent people capable of valuing critical thinking. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say. What is desired in most situations is the most efficient means to an end, so long as integrity is maintained. Time is money...

Many companies value youthful curiosity. They may look at situations that older workers have no interest in examining. They're often focused on simply getting the job done using the same time tested approach. They tend to focus on the goal while overlooking the many ways to satisfy that objective.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
This is the exact opposite from what I've seen. If you are passive and too quiet ....
The real answer is that if you are passive and too quiet you do not give me enough information to work with. Since you had an opportunity during the interview to tell me about your skills, experience and abilities but you chose not to, I must pass on you because I do not have adequate information in order to make a decision.

Who would you hire? The person who answered questions completely, so now you understand their capabilities, or the person who mumbled yes/no/buzzword and you have no idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment