Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So what you're saying (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that for the first 26 weeks of collecting unemployment it's OK to just ease along looking for that perfect position? Just trying to understand the logic here and particularly since in all those 10 weeks you've only actually landed three interviews. The statistics don't look very good so far.
And if the Republicans get into office, his ability to find a position in the social services sector will crumble into dust. That funding will be slashed and burnt like the rain forest.

Those already working in the social services sector will have a chance of retaining jobs. Those looking for work in that sector will be competing with the clients they serve for jobs where the ability to say "Want some fries with that burger" is the most important skill.

This is not a political statement, I don't like any of the current candidates, just the truth.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
But based on how well things turned out in february, I believe I will be in good shape by the end of March.
If I don't find what I want by March, I've got April. I'm not really worried about not finding a job by April, because I still have May, June, July, August, September and October.

I should most definitely have a job by November so I can get out and go Black Friday shopping for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post

Thank you! Wish I could rep you more.
Thanks.

Last edited by TRC2k11; 03-02-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If someone was making $100k/yr in a middle mgt field, they are not expected to take a job offer as a custr svc rep that is $11/hr simply because they are collecting unemployment. That is not how it works in most states - especially in the beginning. ( OP doesn't fall into this category).

Many people try to stay within their career objective and general pay range, as long as it is within reasonable expectations that positions exist and that the person is likely to obtain such a position.

Some folks worked years and have lots of education and reached a certain point in their career. To expect them to work at McDonald's the first month on unemployment isn't a good thing.
You're right, the OP doesn't fall into the category. We're not exactly talking a six figure income here.

My point is that he's turned down an interview for a job paying really not that much less than he was making in his last place of employment. If he had gone for the interview and really liked what he saw, he may have been able to negotiate a higher starting salary and might have even risen in the ranks there to make more quite rapidly. Instead, he arbitrarily sloughed off the interview opportunity and basically told the temp employee to not bother him with any placements other than those he sent her in an email. If that isn't a serious example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face I don't know what is.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
If someone was making $100k/yr in a middle mgt field, they are not expected to take a job offer as a custr svc rep that is $11/hr simply because they are collecting unemployment. That is not how it works in most states - especially in the beginning. ( OP doesn't fall into this category).
They are expected to take any "suitable offer of employment" which takes salary into account. TVSG wasn't making $100K, in his lifetime he won't make that. Based on what he's getting for u/e, he was making about $16 an hour. Taking a job that pays about 70% of his previous wages is not an unreasonable request. The employment is within his field (social services). So there's no good reason for him to not accept the job.

Quote:
Many people try to stay within their career objective and general pay range, as long as it is within reasonable expectations that positions exist and that the person is likely to obtain such a position.

Some folks worked years and have lots of education and reached a certain point in their career. To expect them to work at McDonald's the first month on unemployment isn't a good thing.
No one is suggesting TVSG work at McDonalds. But he should accept this job that was offered, it is in his field and he'd be making about 130% of what he makes on u/e.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And if the Republicans get into office, his ability to find a position in the social services sector will crumble into dust. That funding will be slashed and burnt like the rain forest.

It's already slashing and burning in Philly and is precisely why he lost his last two jobs.

Those already working in the social services sector will have a chance of retaining jobs. Those looking for work in that sector will be competing with the clients they serve for jobs where the ability to say "Want some fries with that burger" is the most important skill.
This is precisely why I don't understand his rationale for being so picky. There are so few openings in his field right now and, with all the layoffs in that sector, a huge number of applicants for every position. He was never in management and he's competing with management level applicants now. None of his "logic" makes sense to me. But then it never has in the past.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
You're right, the OP doesn't fall into the category. We're not exactly talking a six figure income here.

My point is that he's turned down an interview for a job paying really not that much less than he was making in his last place of employment. If he had gone for the interview and really liked what he saw, he may have been able to negotiate a higher starting salary and might have even risen in the ranks there to make more quite rapidly. Instead, he arbitrarily sloughed off the interview opportunity and basically told the temp employee to not bother him with any placements other than those he sent her in an email. If that isn't a serious example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face I don't know what is.
Ah, but this is what TVSG does better than anything else. That and shooting himself in the foot... after inserting said foot in his mouth.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
But he should accept this job that was offered, it is in his field and he'd be making about 130% of what he makes on u/e.
Just for the sake of good order, it turned out halfway through this thread that, despite the misleading title, he never was offered the job - because he declined the chance to interview for it!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Just for the sake of good order, it turned out halfway through this thread that, despite the misleading title, he never was offered the job - because he declined the chance to interview for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Ah, but this is what TVSG does better than anything else. That and shooting himself in the foot... after inserting said foot in his mouth.

I'm beginning to see the pattern...

Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM

200 posts, read 565,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm still amazed that you are talking to me like I was offered $15.00 an hour and been on u/e for 9 months. Let me state it again so you can understand, i been on unemployment for 10 weeks and was offered a salary I haven't made since 1998 so of course I'm not going to show interest because at this point of u/e I feel I can get a better offer.

Now if it gets to be July and August and I get that same opportunity after being on u/e for 40 weeks then that's a opportunity i have to take advantage of because I would then be beyond the initial 26 weeks which is all I focus on.
It still amazes me how entitled you think you are. Did you not get the point that UE was not established for people to be picky about work? I live in an area that UE and social security and govenment programs are constantly abused. When I started my current position, I knew I could make more on UE than I did starting my current position 3 years ago. But, because I take pride in my strong work ethic, I chose to work instead of collecting UE. Because it was not neccassary for me to collect UE. I have no problems will people using UE when it is needed. But you are obviously not in need of it. You have other opportunities.

Quote:
If someone was making $100k+/yr in a middle mgt field, they are not expected to quickly take a job as a custr svc rep that is $11/hr simply because they are collecting unemployment. That is not how it works in most states - especially in the beginning. ( OP doesn't fall into this category).

I am not sure how this works in all states, but if the OP was making $100k+/yr he would not be collecting $8.50 in UE. I believe, although I do not know how this works exactly, that your previous salary influences how much you get in UE. So thank goodness the OP wasn't making that much before and earning more in UE otherwise he would surely stay on UE for as long as he could.

No one is expecting him to work at McDonalds. He is being interviewed for a temp job. Which probably means a respectable office setting. He can work until he finds another job. Or he can work until the position is over and go back to collecting UE. Either why, I am a person that believes he should work until the other two happen. He can still use his time outside of work to find another job. If the company he temp'd for is happy with him, than they will pass it on to the temp agency and the temp agency will be more willing to use him and work with him.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Which do you prefer to watch?

A.) Star Wars Saga

B.) TVSG C-D Saga

C.) Lord of the Rings Saga

D.) None of the above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment