U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM

24,671 posts, read 55,021,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't put dress shirts in the washing machine I take them to the cleaners. And I can't eat peanut butter due to acid reflux
Every "dress shirt" I've ever dealt with over many years doesn't require dry-cleaning. Most of them these days are basically "wash and wear". If you want to spruce them up then a simple iron and a can of spray starch puts them in the high-end corporate realm. Pants too.

Acid reflux eating peanut butter? The poster was simply addressing your issue of "lunch money"and used peanut butter and a loaf of bread as an example of low-cost nutritional benefit. Obviously there are alternatives to peanut butter and it's not likely that being employed and eating lunch would differ in any way from being UNemployed and eating lunch. Surely you agree that logic seems not to be in play here?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 48,041,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
TV,

Looking back over the threads you have posted about seeking work for the past 3+ years, it amazes me that you have not exhausted your excuses for not following up on employment opportunities.

You have posted that you were a professional career counselor. Maybe, since you have time on your hands, you should spend some of it working on you.
That's what I been doing but March will be the last month of me being picky because I will only have 2 months left before the new rent increase starts so I'm using this month to be picky and then will become more flexible in April.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Every "dress shirt" I've ever dealt with over many years doesn't require dry-cleaning. Most of them these days are basically "wash and wear". If you want to spruce them up then a simple iron and a can of spray starch puts them in the high-end corporate realm. Pants too.

Acid reflux eating peanut butter? The poster was simply addressing your issue of "lunch money"and used peanut butter and a loaf of bread as an example of low-cost nutritional benefit. Obviously there are alternatives to peanut butter and it's not likely that being employed and eating lunch would differ in any way from being UNemployed and eating lunch. Surely you agree that logic seems not to be in play here?
I don't like ironing so when I'm working I take my shirts to the cleaners.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
But you're not working now.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,963,961 times
Quote:
An easy expense to completely eliminate. Just like bringing your lunch to work instead of eating out works perfectly. These solutions make your excuses non-existent, so just take the job already.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
An easy expense to completely eliminate. Just like bringing your lunch to work instead of eating out works perfectly. These solutions make your excuses non-existent, so just take the job already.
Despite the thread title, he hasn't been offered a job but has simply been called in for an interview. Much ado about nothing at this point, eight pages later.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,321,241 times
I can't fathom turning down anything (and yes, I know this is just an interview possibility as of now) on such a small unemployment check. Your first post where you state it is $8.50 per hour, that is $17k or so pre-tax annually. In Philadelphia no less, which is hardly inexpensive. Obviously, you are used to getting by on a modest income, but still..the US poverty level for one person is 19k or below if I recall correctly, and Philly is above the US average for Cost of Living.

While still not thinking it wise, it would be more understandable if someone whose unemployment check were the max allowed to be picky.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But you're not working now.
I give up, I try and talk to you and then you start posting stupid stuff. Don't talk to me anymore.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I would have if it was a position similar to what I was doing.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I can't fathom turning down anything (and yes, I know this is just an interview possibility as of now) on such a small unemployment check. Your first post where you state it is $8.50 per hour, that is $17k or so pre-tax annually. In Philadelphia no less, which is hardly inexpensive. Obviously, you are used to getting by on a modest income, but still..the US poverty level for one person is 19k or below if I recall correctly, and Philly is above the US average for Cost of Living.

While still not thinking it wise, it would be more understandable if someone whose unemployment check were the max allowed to be picky.
It's not really what I'm interested in doing but if they were offering $14 then I would take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment