Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM

810 posts, read 1,759,029 times

Advertisements

Here's all I basically have to say about being picky and waiting for something perfect. When I was first laid off in Sept 2010 at that time I could afford to be picky and wouldn't even think about anything less than $15 hourly.
Well now I'm working 28 hours a week for $10 hourly and wishing that I had not turned away a full time job at $9 or $10 hour, I would be in a much better position if I would have accepted any of those offers.
I'm just saying anything is better than nothing and you never know.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,814,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Here's all I basically have to say about being picky and waiting for something perfect. When I was first laid off in Sept 2010 at that time I could afford to be picky and wouldn't even think about anything less than $15 hourly.
Well now I'm working 28 hours a week for $10 hourly and wishing that I had not turned away a full time job at $9 or $10 hour, I would be in a much better position if I would have accepted any of those offers.
I'm just saying anything is better than nothing and you never know.
How would you have been in a better position if you had took those $9 or $10 an hour jobs?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,141,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would have if it was a position similar to what I was doing.
An employment agency felt it was similar enough that they want to forward your resume for consideration. You were a career counselor and this position is to determine eligibility for a child care program.

The bottom line seems to be that you don't want to leave the comfort of your apartment until you absolutely have to, when your benefits run out. Hopefully your dishonesty in searching for a job is only for CD entertainment value and not something you honestly believe.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,899,784 times
lostinca, And that is fairly typical. Employers know about the studies which have shown the long-term unemployed get hired only 1/4 as often as short-term unemployed. That means, if they are amongst the few to hire long-term unemployed, they also know quite often, its like buying a foreclosed home. Its supply and demand, and with limited demand for long-term unemployed labor, employers understand an offer someone out of work 4 months might turn down, someone running out of ui will take 80% of the same offer.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
An employment agency felt it was similar enough that they want to forward your resume for consideration. You were a career counselor and this position is to determine eligibility for a child care program.

The bottom line seems to be that you don't want to leave the comfort of your apartment until you absolutely have to, when your benefits run out. Hopefully your dishonesty in searching for a job is only for CD entertainment value and not something you honestly believe.
She didn't send it she called to ask me before she sent the resume to the agency. The job is to determine eligibility for childcare assistance.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,899,784 times
TVSG, Hello.lostinca gets 28 hours per week at $10, that is $280 before taxes. Could have had fulltime, 40 hours at $10, that is $120 per week more, $6k more annually.

Add in the fact lostinca would have been there 1.5 years, and most likely, have gotten pay increases.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM

878 posts, read 1,648,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
I'm one of those that gets pissy when people talk negatively about those on unemployment 'abusing' the system because I know most would rather not be on it, but dude, you're doing nothing but substantiating those ideas by even posting this here.
I agree. I'm all for those on benefits who are making an effort to help themselves. I don't have any sympathy for those trying to milk the system for every dollar and then say "oh well I guess I need to go get a job now."

Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I agree. I'm all for those on benefits who are making an effort to help themselves. I don't have any sympathy for those trying to milk the system for every dollar and then say "oh well I guess I need to go get a job now."
Well I'm not in that category because I'm only in my second month of unemployment which is 8 weeks. If it was 68 weeks then yes I would be foolish not to interview for a job close to home which is more than unemployment.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,141,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
She didn't send it she called to ask me before she sent the resume to the agency. The job is to determine eligibility for childcare assistance.
Two words: transferable skills.

Transferable Skills Checklist

But as a former career counselor, I'm sure you know those words. Just as I'm sure you are staying active by volunteering within your community and improving your professional skills by taking classes at adult ed centers and online.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Two words: transferable skills.

Transferable Skills Checklist

But as a former career counselor, I'm sure you know those words. Just as I'm sure you are staying active by volunteering within your community and improving your professional skills by taking classes at adult ed centers and online.
I would go for the job if it was $14.00 but since it's not I don't feel the need to transfer my customer service skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment