U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 13,294 times

Advertisements

So I recently came across an amazing job ad that pays a great working for a local school district. I'm incredibly qualified for the position and feel I have a good shot at getting an interview and possibly the position. Truth is I had an unemployment gap from 2009 to 2011....I stretched the truth and made it to 2010. Fortunately, the company I worked for went out of business in 2009 and from the research I've done online it went by a couple different names. I currently am employed but Its probably the worse job I've ever had. I'm incredibly underpaid for what I do and I work directly under the owners son which is unprofessional, disrespectful and incredibly immature. So another issue I have is to who put as my supervisor ( no one knows his title ) but I honestly don't trust what he would say....I feel like if they were to call him he would completely bury me just because he is that type of person. A long story made short....when I got hired I worked like a madman to show that I'm capable and deserve some better pay and got a lot of praise from him but as soon as my 3 months came up I started getting yelled at and treated like garbage for no reason....I even got written up for some really ridiculous things. Worse part someone made a complain about him in my favor saying I was being harassed and targeted which then made HR come asking questions which I answered but felt very skeptical about knowing I may lose my job (everyone thats complained about the owners son was out the door in no time). So I came to a conclusion that it was all a ploy so they wouldn't recognize my hard work or even give me the chance to ask for more money. Sorry for babbling but all in all I need to know what I should do about putting this guy as my supervisor and whether I should stretch the truth a little about being unemployed from 2009 to 2010 instead of 2009 to 2011 All advice is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 AM

24,671 posts, read 54,974,356 times
Don't "stretch" anything and don't list the name of your supervisor. Obviously it's a large enough company to have an HR department so just leave it at that on your application. Hope you get the interview.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,070 posts, read 49,790,701 times
School districts have become far more detailed about their background checks after recent problems. I would recommend omission rather than
false information as your best chance, though if there are a lot of applicants they may not consider those with things missing.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,383,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viciouscircles View Post
So I recently came across an amazing job ad that pays a great working for a local school district. I'm incredibly qualified for the position and feel I have a good shot at getting an interview and possibly the position. Truth is I had an unemployment gap from 2009 to 2011....I stretched the truth and made it to 2010. Fortunately, the company I worked for went out of business in 2009 and from the research I've done online it went by a couple different names. I currently am employed but Its probably the worse job I've ever had. I'm incredibly underpaid for what I do and I work directly under the owners son which is unprofessional, disrespectful and incredibly immature. So another issue I have is to who put as my supervisor ( no one knows his title ) but I honestly don't trust what he would say....I feel like if they were to call him he would completely bury me just because he is that type of person. A long story made short....when I got hired I worked like a madman to show that I'm capable and deserve some better pay and got a lot of praise from him but as soon as my 3 months came up I started getting yelled at and treated like garbage for no reason....I even got written up for some really ridiculous things. Worse part someone made a complain about him in my favor saying I was being harassed and targeted which then made HR come asking questions which I answered but felt very skeptical about knowing I may lose my job (everyone thats complained about the owners son was out the door in no time). So I came to a conclusion that it was all a ploy so they wouldn't recognize my hard work or even give me the chance to ask for more money. Sorry for babbling but all in all I need to know what I should do about putting this guy as my supervisor and whether I should stretch the truth a little about being unemployed from 2009 to 2010 instead of 2009 to 2011 All advice is welcome!
I wouldn't recommend lying about the length of employment at a job. Even if the company is out of business. As for the owner's son and your current job, are you able to say you would prefer they not contact your supervisor because your company doesn't know you are looking? I think a lot of companies are comfortable with this policy. Perhaps offer to provide the names of a few co-workers who can recommend you?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,766,649 times
Don't lie or stretch the truth. Surely you were doing something during that year your previous company went belly-up; even volunteering counts. If you were job-training, put that.

The suggestion of putting the HR number is a good one, they will just verify your employment. But you can bolster your app by getting letters from coworkers or clients, and listing them as references.

Best of luck, I hope you get the job!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,623,861 times
Seriously you even need to ask in this horrible economy? Stretch the dates, change whatever needs to be changed so you get the job. Ignore the moralists. Find a reference who will back up your "change" and go on with life. If there's no reference because the company closed, so be it. That's life. It happens. Get a personal/coworker reference that will back up that you worked there.

If you listen to the moralist fearmongers you will lose out on an opportunity. They're not paying your bills. YOU ARE. Do what needs to be done. They follow their moral laws, you follow YOURS. We're not talking about inside trading that schemes innocent people out of billions of dollars and then gets you taxpayer bailouts. We're talking about stretching a few dates or "tweaks" to your resume. Do your own thing.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 25,689,480 times
Your 'new employer' can and will ask to verify who your supervisor was even if you don't list them or put them as references, so, don't even try it.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 13,294 times
Well the downside to putting down that they cant contact my current employer is that 2 out of my 4 previous employers have already went out of business and I the other 2 are still in business but I know my supervisors at the time are no longer with the company. So I think my situation is pretty rare but its puts me in such a bad position...I've realized employers want the easy route and when they notice these types of things they wont even give you a consideration. As far as for stretching the date I have an employee that could vouch for me and say the company went out of business in 2010. With the situation of noting who my supervisor is on the other hand....I have plenty of people in the company that have told me to put them down and that they would vouch for me as my supervisor. Mystique13 is pretty real about today economy and I totally feel him and at the same time I am a very honest person but the honest gig has burned me pretty bad....

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

930 posts, read 1,562,632 times
A great thing about telling the truth is you never have to worry about remembering what you said the last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or