U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,228,412 times

Advertisements

I would not make up a number because I do think an outright lie will always come to light. But I did once tell a company I couldn't disclose my current salary because I was bound by a confidentiality agreement (which was a more 'colorful' interpretation of the truth of my employee manual). The hiring company accepted that answer without batting an eye, and I ended up with a 20% bump in salary because I knew I was underpaid for my position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM

2,646 posts, read 5,970,530 times
Default interesting.

I've never had any employer be able to 'legally' advise of my salary. All that is allowed is whether or not I was eligible for re-hire. Anything else is a total HIPPA/EMTALA violation and is punishable by law.
Koale

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM

819 posts, read 2,726,635 times
as per the great Dr. House, "Everybody lies."

Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,985,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I've never had any employer be able to 'legally' advise of my salary. All that is allowed is whether or not I was eligible for re-hire. Anything else is a total HIPPA/EMTALA violation and is punishable by law.
Koale
I don't understand...how does it violate Hipaa? Maybe I missed what your occupation is and how asking about previous salary violates that.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM

2,646 posts, read 5,970,530 times
Default Oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I don't understand...how does it violate Hipaa? Maybe I missed what your occupation is and how asking about previous salary violates that.
just disregard that comment...I'm at work...
K

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
When interviewing for a new job, what are your opinions on lying about your previous/current salary? Do you take bonuses into account?

I hate telling them my previous salary for the following reasons:

• They will try to match it if you're currently unemployed, due to the tough economy they know you'll take it.
  • They probably won't go much higher than your previous number. Then you're stuck in a specific salary, as long as the economy stays bad.
That's why I've decided to lie and add more for my next interview. I'm currently employed, so I feel like I have the luxury of demanding more without fearing that I'll get rejected. If I get rejected, oh well I still have a job.
I never lie about anything on my resume; it's far too easy to get busted and then you're screwed. Tell the truth.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM

651 posts, read 1,520,925 times
I think a lot of people here are playing it safe too much. I consider this a gamble, and sometimes in life you have to take gambles to get rewarded. My W4 isn't accurate because I was unemployed for a brief period, so the numbers won't add up regardless. I understand if someone is lying about their experience or education, but salary seems fine to me.

Although I like the answer of not being able to disclose it. I always wanted to see how much a new company values me, rather than gauge me based on my previous salary. What's another good way of telling them I can't (don't want to) disclose my previous salary? Without them getting offended of course.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 AM

95 posts, read 232,181 times
Nudetypist what has helped me is to say to the question of salary the following " For this position I'm applying for I would expect to be offered a competitive salary with the market place" I hear these days there are lots of ways they can find out your real salary. With something like this statement you are asserting you are a valuable commodity. Besides the salaryw each job there is employee benefits and work culture that fits into the whole package...good luck

Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,869,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Although I like the answer of not being able to disclose it. I always wanted to see how much a new company values me, rather than gauge me based on my previous salary. What's another good way of telling them I can't (don't want to) disclose my previous salary? Without them getting offended of course.
I would just be honest and direct. Feel free to state what you made accurately and follow up by asking for what you want. If they're puzzled as to why you're asking for so much more than your previous salary, tell them something along the lines of "compensation was not commensurate with my workload and responsibilities." This is a game they are trying to play with you. Be honest, state accurately what you made, and ask directly for what you want. This will open the door for negotiations. If it closes the door, then either it's not a company you want to work for or your skills are not worth what you think they are. If you've done your research, then it should always be the former.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,568,248 times
I think there a few paranoid holier than thou folks on here. I have asked several of my friends, who have all noted that just about everyone fibs somewhat on their salary...the key is just to stay within reason (as mentioned earlier, based on market rates).

More importantly, people fudge on all other sorts of things. Here are some examples:

-I've known people who were laid off and where it took them close to a year to find a job. You go onto their LinkedIn profile and it'll appear as if there is almost no gap in employment
-I've known people who were promoted to Director after being at my company for 15 years. They've gone onto LinkedIn and depicted their role as Director for the entire time at my company
-I've known people who briefly had people manager roles then were moved over to IC's, when the org was flattened. You go onto their LinkedIn profile and it still highlights that they are a people manager, leading a large team of 8-10 people

C'mon folks, sure lying isn't ethical, but if you're not doing it yourself, you are getting passed over for a job by someone else who is. It is sort of like the doping scandal in cycling or in professional sports. If you didn't join the crowd, you are at a competitive disadvantage relative to your peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment