U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,599,063 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Exactly, maybe you just don't know. Which is why it's best to speak of only what you do know.
I noticed you been really nice to me lately, i like that. I think it would be sweet if we got along
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,583 posts, read 11,838,803 times
Reputation: 15407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Those staffing specialists at Career Link are "Fraudulent". They don't help anyone find a job which is why they are about to shutdown in June
You may be right. I have no argument with you in regards if they are effective in any way in helping an unemployed person get a job. What I will say is that I know people who had trouble getting through to the PA Dept. of Labor for Unemployment Claims by phone, and the one thing they do have at the office is direct lines to the state Unemployment Dept. Another thing they do is hold half day workshops for older adults 50+ on how to improve your resume and give a good interview.

If you're in Philly I'm sure you've seen the free "Employment Weekly" magazines. In my view, these publications are totally and completely bogus. They survive by selling ads for "technical schools" that offer training to be a 'electrical technician' or a 'medical billing specialist' or a 'massage therapist'. You can not and will not find a job through one of those magazines. They'll have (BS) ads that will ask you to fax your resume ... but I think that is for positions that do not exist. They exist solely to advertise "Career Training Schools" nothing more and nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,599,063 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You may be right. I have no argument with you in regards if they are effective in any way in helping an unemployed person get a job. What I will say is that I know people who had trouble getting through to the PA Dept. of Labor for Unemployment Claims by phone, and the one thing they do have at the office is direct lines to the state Unemployment Dept. Another thing they do is hold half day workshops for older adults 50+ on how to improve your resume and give a good interview.

If you're in Philly I'm sure you've seen the free "Employment Weekly" magazines. In my view, these publications are totally and completely bogus. They survive by selling ads for "technical schools" that offer training to be a 'electrical technician' or a 'medical billing specialist' or a 'massage therapist'. You can not and will not find a job through one of those magazines. They'll have (BS) ads that will ask you to fax your resume ... but I think that is for positions that do not exist. They exist solely to advertise "Career Training Schools" nothing more and nothing less.
I wonder why some places want you to fax your resume instead of just emailing it? I did fax a resume last week only because the job is in my field and close to home. Other than that I would not normally fax a resume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 55,884,912 times
Reputation: 26449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I wonder why some places want you to fax your resume instead of just emailing it? I did fax a resume last week only because the job is in my field and close to home. Other than that I would not normally fax a resume
Why would you not if that's what the company requires? Some smaller companies still find it easier to receive documents by 'fax rather than email and particularly documents they need a hard copy of. Which of your many rules does 'faxing break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,599,063 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why would you not if that's what the company requires? Some smaller companies still find it easier to receive documents by 'fax rather than email and particularly documents they need a hard copy of. Which of your many rules does 'faxing break?
I don't understand the logic behind faxing when 97% of companies require you to email the resume. Unless they already want to have the resume printed out but even that would not make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 55,884,912 times
Reputation: 26449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't understand the logic behind faxing when 97% of companies require you to email the resume. Unless they already want to have the resume printed out but even that would not make sense.
It doesn't matter that the reason doesn't fit with your "logic". If you have a problem applying your logic to 'faxing anything to anybody then don't do it. If you shoot yourself in the foot in the process and miss a good employment opportunity that's your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top