U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 AM

24,490 posts, read 28,882,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Since Im the one not working I get to do the dishes,clean the house,do the laundry, and run the errands.... UMMMM I hate it Im sooooo bored... When I was working full time we spilt everything I cooked he did the dishes, shared cleaning chores, but I did the laundry cause my man shrinks everything ACKK... Sooo trust me I'll be much happier when Im back to work.
me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,382,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Since Im the one not working I get to do the dishes,clean the house,do the laundry, and run the errands.... UMMMM I hate it Im sooooo bored... When I was working full time we spilt everything I cooked he did the dishes, shared cleaning chores, but I did the laundry cause my man shrinks everything ACKK... Sooo trust me I'll be much happier when Im back to work.
I find it amazing that you're chomping at the bit to go back to work - if I were in your shoes, I'd be fighting tooth and nail NOT to go back...lol.

Of course, this perspective is coming from someone who used to cry uncontrollably on Sunday nights, as I dreaded going in on Monday mornings so bad - seriously.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM

428 posts, read 767,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I find it amazing that you're chomping at the bit to go back to work - if I were in your shoes, I'd be fighting tooth and nail NOT to go back...lol.

Of course, this perspective is coming from someone who used to cry uncontrollably on Sunday nights, as I dreaded going in on Monday mornings so bad - seriously.

Awww thats not good at all... I guess if I had somebody to hang out with during the day it wouldnt be so bad... The boyfriend works 6am-4pm, all my friends work and the couple that dont have kidlet responsibilties which I dont.... So its just me and I cant go shopping cause well Im on unemployment... LOL Granted I got my hair cut today... ...

Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM

773 posts, read 1,019,816 times
My mom went back to work two weeks after I was born and worked until well after retirement age. She told me, "Always make your own money, because you don't know what will happen." And she wasn't talking about divorce; my dad had a debilitating stroke that rendered him unable to work. Had it not been for my mother's income, they would have been out on the street.

I know that this is an extreme example. But I've also witnessed SAHMs whose husband divorces them who have no choice but to go back to work. After all of those years spent at home, their skills are rusty, and they have a hard time even getting a job that will sustain them.

I know that this is a bummer thought, but given that 50 percent of marriages end in divorce, it behooves a woman to keep her skill set up to date, and that means working whenever she is able to do so. Because there's a 50-50 chance that she'll need those skills sometime in the future.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 PM

52 posts, read 11,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Last year, a co-worker of mine (I'm a cook in a school cafeteria) accepted an office position. She's since come back to the school - she said it was because she got sick to death of leaving the house at 7:30 a.m. and not getting home until 7:30 p.m. Seems 50 plus hours a week were the "norm" at that position (60 when they had to work Saturdays). Our work schedule at the school IS excellent - 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. - home in time to enjoy the sunny spring afternoons, no weekends, and no holidays (we get a week off for Christmas and Easter Vacation). It doesn't mean we are "lazy", we're women still in our prime (40's and 50's) that still earn a decent income, but aren't interested in running the hamster wheel anymore.

Every morning, we enjoy discussing the previous afternoon's episodes of Judge Judy, Dr. Phil and Anderson Cooper.
Women need more family friendly hours. To me, it would be ideal if you could work your career industry with those hours but most companies won't agree to that. They want you there 8-5/6. Not good at all for working moms.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:04 PM

1,394 posts, read 555,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I can't take women seriously when they choose to not have any type of job. I have a family member who doesn't work and actually thinks she's better than working women because her husband has a high enough paying job that affords her this luxury.

I can only understand women not working if they're taking care of very young kids. Otherwise I don't see any reason why they aren't working.
There are psychological reasons. Maybe they hate being told what to do, hate following the company's rules, hate hierarchy. Maybe they have low confidence in their own abilities and are afraid they'll do something wrong and be fired. Maybe they have social anxiety. Maybe they're afraid of what people think of them. These are real fears and not as simple as "If they're physically able to work, why aren't they?"

Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM

4,460 posts, read 5,338,967 times
Who cares whether someone does or doesn't work? I only care whether they do or don't mooch off the system.

On a personal level, I can't understand how someone wouldn't want some type of larger goal to pursue, some type of productive pursuit for which to strive, but that doesn't have to be a traditional job. It could be art related, it could be charitable volunteering, it could be all kinds of things. I'm not sure I will ever understand how someone could just do leisure activities all day long, every day, year in, year out, because I have no desire ever to do that even though I could. "Retirement" in that sense doesn't sound like fun at all. I think that would only sound fun to people who are forced to work and can't imagine what some free time would feel like, but once you have the ability to do anything you want, you realize that you need more meaning in life than just "having fun."

I would think someone who is that frivolous would be difficult to understand for me personally, because I can't really interact with people who have small goals or no goals, it just seems pathetic. Maybe she could be a nice, sweet person, but we'd have nothing in common as I'm achievement oriented.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:01 PM

666 posts, read 377,473 times
I live in an area where enough of the population is wealthy enough that you see a huge return to the 1950's model of single-income earner (typically husband) working 9-5 while the wife is a SAHM, often times with a supplementary nanny or an au pair in the house.

Personally, I'm of the mindset that you should do what works for you personally, but for women there should be additional practical considerations when deciding to leave the workforce, such as what to do in the case of death, divorce, disability of your spouse if you have one, ability to support children as a single parent, if you have them or any number of scenarios that could require you to go back to earning income at short notice.

So I think if women are OK with the risks inherent in this, or have enough savings that they aren't impacted by the possibility of taking a massive career hit by leaving the workforce, then by all means. My mom was a housewife and sort of drove into me the growing up the concept of always making sure you get an education where you can ensure you will have a marketable skill which won't let you rely on anyone (husband, specific employer, etc) for your sole means of support. So I guess this attitude informed a lot of my opinion growing up, especially having enough years behind me at this point to have seen some of these scenarios unfortunately befall a few female friends and acquaintances who left the workforce and are now struggling for various reasons to return.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:16 PM

5,791 posts, read 3,235,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
One should never believe everything one reads.
Including this thread.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 PM

9,201 posts, read 3,800,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanttocamp View Post
Women need more family friendly hours. To me, it would be ideal if you could work your career industry with those hours but most companies won't agree to that. They want you there 8-5/6. Not good at all for working moms.
why wouldnt working dads want same thing? stop treating women like they cant do the same thing unless you support a real pay gap... do less, earn less

if one partner stays at home, it means other can take on more work stress because the home stress is taken care of... if both work, then both still have stress from both sides. i can work 60 hours/week if i didnt have to do anything at home and earn as much as two people working 40 hours since OT pays more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment