Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM

9 posts, read 16,058 times

Advertisements

I would love to get a government job and have two questions.

1. What are the best sites to apply for government jobs? This would include the public and private sector.

2. To posters with experience in government hiring: Which government jobs do you feel my skills would fit best? Below is my background.

Education
* Bachelors degree in management from a nationally known university
* MBA from same college

Experience
* One year experience as an assistant manager at a large retail store (1st job as undergrad graduate)
* One year experience in sales for a leading beverage industry company (1st job as MBA graduate)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 PM

475 posts, read 648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj80 View Post
I would love to get a government job and have two questions.

1. What are the best sites to apply for government jobs? This would include the public and private sector.

2. To posters with experience in government hiring: Which government jobs do you feel my skills would fit best? Below is my background.

Education
* Bachelors degree in management from a nationally known university
* MBA from same college

Experience
* One year experience as an assistant manager at a large retail store (1st job as undergrad graduate)
* One year experience in sales for a leading beverage industry company (1st job as MBA graduate)
Honestly, you would best be served by applying for file clerk type positions in departments such as the City Clerk, Human Services, or Human Resources. Once you get a few years of experience you may get promoted to a supervisory position, especially if they pay for you to get certified (City Clerk or HRS). I hope this helps

Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Go to usajobs for federal jobs, state government websites for state jobs, city government websites for city jobs. Government jobs seem to show up on monster, indeed and stuff too, but go directly to the horse's mouth for the most up to date stuff.

As to your specific field, your college's alumni office and your professors, as well as contacts from your previous employment, would be infinitely more help than I could give.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,994 times
USAJobs.Gov is the only site that posts Federal jobs. Also check your state or local government websites for jobs too.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I haven't found any one place to look for local govt jobs. I check about 15-20 city and county web sites regularly. you can also sign up for e-mail notifications when jobs open up.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I suggest you look at google cities ;counties that your interested in as most have websites and post professional positions requirig degrees.The beter the local economy the better the chnace of such opening. Certainly a degree means you quilfify more positios higher than a clerk.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Go to usajobs for federal jobs, state government websites for state jobs, city government websites for city jobs. Government jobs seem to show up on monster, indeed and stuff too, but go directly to the horse's mouth for the most up to date stuff.

As to your specific field, your college's alumni office and your professors, as well as contacts from your previous employment, would be infinitely more help than I could give.
I am not interested in state or city jobs. Thanks for the tip about reconnecting with my alumni office.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
USAJobs.Gov is the only site that posts Federal jobs. Also check your state or local government websites for jobs too.
I should have stated this, but I am aware of USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site

This is the only site I have been able to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I suggest you look at google cities ;counties that your interested in as most have websites and post professional positions requirig degrees.The beter the local economy the better the chnace of such opening. Certainly a degree means you quilfify more positios higher than a clerk.
I assumed the same. I understand the job will be entry level. However, a clerk seems a little low.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
State jobs aren't all that great unless you are unionized. I had a state job here in Texas for a few months as an auditor and I was more paranoid about getting fired there than I was working in the private sector. My boss was an intimidating bully, many of my co-workers were downright nasty to each other and I heard all sorts of stories about people being fired for stupid reasons. Plus the pay sucked. Overall a very negative experience. That's why I left. On the plus side, we worked strictly 8-5.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,070 times
At this point the private sector is likely more stable than govt. jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment