U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,368,364 times

Advertisements

I got offered an entry level job, which I accepted and start this coming Monday. I might have a dilemma though and would appreciate your feedback.

Let's pretend I will be working on a pretty specified field where I will be commanding certain big gadget through software. (I'm being very vague because I don't want to disclose my field).

My husband works as an engineer for a different company, designing one part for these gadgets. I wouldn't call the two companies direct competitors since I will be working on a branch of the company that doesn't manufacture the gadgets, just commands them to do stuff.

Do we have a conflict here? No one asked me about my husband's job (during two phone interviews and a five hour interview in person nor while I was filling out the paperwork) and it never crossed my mind to tell them since I didn't see it as an issue. They are doing a background check.

I KNOW we will never have a conflict. It's almost like my husband was building a specific part for a car engine and I was trying to advertise another car company's product.

I'm really curious to hear the answers to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,723,815 times
Tell us this much as least. What is your speciality? Are you in advertising? Or are you an engineer too? Give us a little bit more to go by.

If we stick with car references, it sounds more like your husband works for a company manufactures a bolt/nut for a car engine, and you work for the company that buys his company's bold/nut to assemble the engine, and you work in a department that creates software to run the engine.

In other words, your husband works for a supplier to your company, right? And your job doesn't have any influence whatsoever on which company your company buys this part from, right?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Tell us this much as least. What is your speciality? Are you in advertising? Or are you an engineer too? Give us a little bit more to go by.

If we stick with car references, it sounds more like your husband works for a company manufactures a bolt or nut for a car engine, and you work for the company that buys his company's product to assemble the engine, and you work in a department that creates software to run the engine.

In other words, your husband works for a supplier to your company, right?
Ok. Let me be more specific. Let's use the car example. He works for Ford, building a part of the engine, for Ford. I work for Volkswagen, working on the computer within the engine by testing the software. His company does not supply anything for us, neither does mine. We are not in advertising, he is actually an engineer and I am in a technological field.

Or we can use another example. Let's say he designs (as an engineer) a part of an engine that runs an excavator (or another big machine like it). I work for a different company, where another section of the company also manufactures an excavator (think Deloitte tax services vs Deloitte consulting as a comparison). I have nothing to do with the manufacturing or engineering part of it but rather use a software to remotely control the excavator. No one in my office works in the engineering part, our office is mostly a sales office.

I really don't want to say more because our fields are small and very specific. But hopefully this made it easier to understand.

And the question is, do I have to enclose what my husband does if no one asks me??

Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,416,822 times
I used to have a co-worker in the banking industry whose husband works for a competitor. She declared it and it wasn't a problem. Most compliance guidelines consider the employee's status (working a second job for another company causing conflicting interests, ownership in a company that may cause a conflict - a competitor, a supplier, a distributor, etc. etc.) rather than the spouse's. Best to look at your employee handbook to be sure.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM

856 posts, read 726,799 times
I use to work with a couple that worked with me at this car manufacturing plant years ago. He told me one day he got his wife a job there so he wouldn't have to kiss the b***h goodbye every morning.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM

14,874 posts, read 18,293,404 times
Some companies take corporate espionage very seriously, and would fire you immediately if they got wind of this situation. In your case, since they never asked, they might not be that concerned. On the other hand, if they do a background check it's likely to come out, so you could be questioned about
it yet. If you start Monday hopefully any chack has already done and you are OK. I'd still keep quiet about it, and be vague if asked what he does. It's actually illegal to use marital status as a factor in hiring, so they wouldn't know but still they can check records available to anyone online, such as home ownership tax records. More likely, they would find out by overhearing you chat with co-workers.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,725,800 times
yes, you should both quit your jobs and turn yourselves in to the police

Old 03-10-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
yes, you should both quit your jobs and turn yourselves in to the police
LOL

I spoke to hubby about it, he mentioned it at work (me interviewing for this company) and they didn't think it was a big deal at all. So I'll treat it as such and just mention he is an engineer if someone asks what he does. Fingers crossed it'll work out, I really need this job and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 AM

6,495 posts, read 5,408,472 times
Sounds like you'll be working for a big company. If that's so, your first day they'll give you a lot of paperwork (or nowadays point to it on line), which will contain their conflict-of-interest policy. It should define what a conflict of interest is and tell you who to disclose any potential conflicts to. If your situation falls under their rules, disclose it and keep a record of when and to whom you disclosed it. Then your butt is covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment