U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM

3,628 posts, read 8,985,597 times

Advertisements

That essay is a bit out there. I had a couple strange questions during my panel interview for my current job (which was over the phone), but they were mainly to see how you think. I thought I bombed the heck out of them but apparently not. Come to find out, someone not even in HR came up with those two, super weird ones lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM

8,123 posts, read 12,257,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just curious but why the obsessive need to keep driving home the point? It seems that every post you write is a total negative where your career/HR/bosses/coworkers are concerned. I hope there's plenty of light too in order to balance everything out.
Nope being a chemist is a total nightmare. There is no light or upside to being a chemist or biologist. The only light is I think I am getting close to obtaining a government job which has become my dream as I can't stand American Companies, and the way they treat scientists, and especially dealing with worthless ditzy HR people.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,527,601 times
My corporate career was in HR, I had responsibility for compensation planning and staffing of professional and executive positions. The essay submission for general recruitment is absurd! When I needed specific testing or evaluation of candidates in sensitive or very high profile roles, I would have those candidates evaluated in a controlled environment conducted by a psychologist. This was rarely done.....only for very high level jobs. What you have here is an embarrassment for all HR professionals. Not only is this question silly, there is no guarantee the submission will be written by the candidate.

Last edited by Squirl; 03-10-2012 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: dang ipad keyboard!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,187,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It seems that every post you write is a total negative where your career/HR/bosses/coworkers are concerned.
Because one always has to have someone else to blame for their problems.

That said, I actually do agree with MS in this case - this is just absurd.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM

11,786 posts, read 13,098,636 times
What a bunch of mickey mouse crap. I would feel like such a tool if I had to write garbage like this. Maybe they want to see how far people are willing to bend over these days? They probably figure, if they will write this needless and obnoxiously absurd essay for free, we can REALLY pay this one CRAP...

Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,752,097 times
I've never heard of such stupidity. "Second grade" is right.

I can understand the need for benefits administrators and people who process hires and fires, as well as the need for things like diversity training, but beyond that, 99% of what HR does is McWork designed to justify their own existence.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM

9,949 posts, read 11,694,829 times
Quote:
Name and describe the specific memory (i.e., experience, achievement, accomplishment, etc.) and your approximate age at the time.
You want a name? I will give you a name, Revenge is sweet!

I was 23 years old when the manager in HR put a flag on hiring me refused to hire me at a company I wanted to I wanted to get a job with. He tried to hide it but I saw him write down "stability?" on my folder jacket. After the interview I called every couple hours to check on the job but after a week I could only conclude I wasn't going to be hired.

Why did the HR manager turn me down when he didn't even know me?

Rather than get mad I decided to get even.

I waited eight months until December when it would be dark during his walk from the office to his car. I was going to teach this turkey something even if it took me 10 years to do it. Someday, somehow, I would get even.

Did I mention my favorite roll model at the time was Richard Kulklinski? That guy rocked and new how to get things done!

The Iceman Confessions Of A Mafia Hitman 1of2 Richard Kuklinski - YouTube

I love how he described himself as an expediter!

I have to tell you I really need this job and so looking forward to going to work for you. I can hardly wait to start, maybe next week you think?

Anyway, back to my revenge. I waited near the parking lot for nearly a month until the perfect opportunity presented itself three days before Christmas. It was cold, windy and raining a mix of ice and snow when I spotted my target making his way to his car alone with his collar turned up and his head down.......

Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 PM

13,351 posts, read 23,991,027 times
I did one of these applications. It took hours because you have to think about every word and figure out what they want you to say. I did get an interview out of it but it certainly wasn't worth the effort and time.

Maybe they do this to sort out a lot of people who wouldn't take the time to do something this silly? Probably tells you something about the job.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM

3,286 posts, read 6,222,884 times
One time I had a questionnaire that was five pages long and every question had next to it "Answer this question honestly" and then "Answer this question how you think an employer would like you to answer it."

Most of them were asking how I would act in various situations and whether I have lied before. Then there were some questions about my relationships with other people and how I act at parties, if I drink, etc. It was very bizarre.

I guess they didn't like my answers or believe them as the hiring process stopped there for me.

As a side note, the only jobs I have ever gotten are ones where the interviewer and I have had a normal conversation. No stupid canned questions like "what are your strengths and weaknesses," "why should I hire you over another candidate," "describe a time when you have had a disagreement with a colleague and how did you handle it," etc. I always suck at those pointless questions that have absolutely nothing to do with how well I will perform the job.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM

8,123 posts, read 12,257,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
As a side note, the only jobs I have ever gotten are ones where the interviewer and I have had a normal conversation. No stupid canned questions like "what are your strengths and weaknesses," "why should I hire you over another candidate," "describe a time when you have had a disagreement with a colleague and how did you handle it," etc. I always suck at those pointless questions that have absolutely nothing to do with how well I will perform the job.
I agree these cliched HR-type interview nonsense that look great in HR books really selects for BSing or sales ability. It produces very poor results in hiring technical personnel. It also from what I've seen does not select for people with better interpersonal skills either. All this HR stuff is to cover the fact that HR people are completely inept at selecting employees based on merit especially when they don't have a clue about the roles they are hiring for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or