Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 AM

49 posts, read 100,213 times

Advertisements

Old and cliché question, I know. But is there any job that paid good salary and can take me to around the world? I'm thinking about Hotel Manager. But even if I'm managing to get a job in Hilton, it doesn't mean that I can get to travel. The bigger company is, the more stable it got. And since everything is stable, then why need to send someone over somewhere?

No Diplomat, no pilot either.

My fantasy is some job that I can relocate (yes, relocate not flying everywhere multiple times every month) every few years and I can bring my wife with me along the job if she's unemployed or something.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
International Sales.

Photo Journalism.

Engineering--many fields.

Art Museum Curator.

Travel Writer.

Honestly, the list is endless. What are your interests? Favorite subjects?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM

12,094 posts, read 23,246,209 times
Do you have a degree? What skills do you have? A company needs a reason to send you overseas and the people sent are generally highly qualified in a specialty. I knew two guys who went to Saudi Arabia in the early 80s because they knew a lot about computers back then. I also knew a guy who went to Saudi in the 90s because he was some kind of phone and telecommunications expert.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Law and business. Years ago, I was doing freelance wholesale for 2 or 3 years about cell phone and motorcycle. Before that I was in charge of marketing department of an Internet provide company (pretty young, and nope, I'm not a genius. Just family business). Then someday I woke up and just want to leave my country. Now I'm 24 and will attend college for BA. I think with the opportunity to study in NY, I can find some job that can take me to around the world.

I guess experience in my country is pretty much useless or doesn't need to take into consideration when I'm in US so, start from scratch again.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
My recommendation is to major in international business.

For example, the University of Pittsburgh has a MBA in International Business, but there is also a certificate for International Business you can get with a BS business degree.

MBA/Master of International Business | Katz Graduate School | Pitt Business

Certificate in International Business | College of Business Administration | Pitt Business

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,112,911 times
Finance/Accounting. If you get in with a big mulitnational company there definitely is the opportunity to move around the world if you prove yourself.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,899,476 times
Some meeting planners with large corporations travel internationally quite a bit. When I worked at big pharma, the list of places my meeting planner had been to made my head spin!

Do you want to travel or flat out move to different places over and over?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,840,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Finance/Accounting. If you get in with a big mulitnational company there definitely is the opportunity to move around the world if you prove yourself.
I'm an auditor and we travel frequently. Business travel is VERY different from vacationing though. It isn't really fun. You work every day in a cubicle or office like usual, but you are in a different city.

Plus, you are stuck with your co-workers for however long the audit lasts. You ride with them in the car, share a hotel with them, eat all of your meals with them, and you are stuck on an airplane with them. Not being able to get away from your co-workers is the worst part about business travel.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 PM

21,783 posts, read 25,073,692 times
Business (auditing is usually on site, consulting, sales), health care (nurses, med tech -- not so much international), language stuff (interpreter/translator), legal (litigation side - attorney, legal videographer, court reporter, interpreter, paralegal, expert witness in something)

Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 PM

I don't mind travel a bit, even 10 times a month is fine. I'm not fantasizing about some business travel where I have free time to explore the city or freely doing whatever I want. It's just I don't want to stay in one place for long. Instead of finding the opportunity to apply for citizenship in US, I think H1b visa is more than enough. After 6 years and relocate to another country for work and repeat. That's my fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment