U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 05:27 PM

1,779 posts, read 6,791,545 times

Advertisements

Throughout college and my early jobs, I always felt like I was one of the top performers. Always got top grades and top reviews.

I took a new job almost a year ago. Everyone really liked me. I have gotten good reviews.

But a new guy, about 7 years my junior started. He is I guess what you would call a superstar. Within 6 months he has been promoted to a parallel position with an equal salary to me.

He seems much closer to the boss than I am. It seems like they are always in contact. He's the right-hand man basically. To compound matters, business hasn't been great lately, and there have been some layoffs.

I guess I feel like I'm on the outs, while he's in. It's very frustrating, and I'm tired of being jealous (I admit it), and feeling like I'm not as good. Who has dealt with a situation like this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM

4,200 posts, read 5,434,280 times
Just be yourself-there's always somebody who will catch the boss's eye (for whatever reason). The brightest stars burn out the fastest.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 PM

16,453 posts, read 8,473,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Just be yourself-there's always somebody who will catch the boss's eye (for whatever reason). The brightest stars burn out the fastest.
I wouldn't do that, vaughanwilliams. "Be yourself" essentially tells people to do nothing. You can't be yourself; you have to be better of yourself.

To OP, you need to understand what your real job is. Apparently this new guy knows his real job. Do you know what your real job is?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 03-09-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,192,111 times
How does one deal with it? One steps up their game and climbs back to the top.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 AM

222 posts, read 707,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Throughout college and my early jobs, I always felt like I was one of the top performers. Always got top grades and top reviews.

I took a new job almost a year ago. Everyone really liked me. I have gotten good reviews.

But a new guy, about 7 years my junior started. He is I guess what you would call a superstar. Within 6 months he has been promoted to a parallel position with an equal salary to me.

He seems much closer to the boss than I am. It seems like they are always in contact. He's the right-hand man basically. To compound matters, business hasn't been great lately, and there have been some layoffs.

I guess I feel like I'm on the outs, while he's in. It's very frustrating, and I'm tired of being jealous (I admit it), and feeling like I'm not as good. Who has dealt with a situation like this?
Do your best, get an experience, learn and if you cannot live with that guy being the top one, go to another place. There is always someone better than you..this is just my expereince..

Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 AM

5,800 posts, read 8,314,285 times
Find out what his weak areas are. Then make sure you are tops in those areas, above and beyond what he is.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM

26,486 posts, read 14,722,099 times
Yes, I've been there! Was a star in my corporation (this was a long time ago); then a new person came in and she was GOOD. She got promoted before me by a few weeks. I was soo jealous!

We basically became friends and very competitive our entire career together. I really think it made us both better performers.

We are friends to this day; though we both moved on. I came to realize that she was much more mature than I was at the time. She was a few years older, married and settled. I was still sewing my wild oats and a little more flighty. I don't blame management for being attracted to her!

Later, my star rose back to the top because she would occasionally display her bitter attitude and management was NOT loving it. Technically, she was probably still better than I was but I was better at office politics.

EVERYONE has their strengths and weaknesses. Play to your strenghs - and step up your game like the other poster said.

Good Luck.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM

11,786 posts, read 13,112,055 times
Simple... You become the best. You sound defeated...

Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 AM

222 posts, read 707,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Simple... You become the best. You sound defeated...
I do not agree. Most of the time it is not about being the best by definition.
There is always someone favorite..maybe because of personality or because that someone can kiss the boss's @#@$#. It is not that easy.

My goal is this situation is to do my best, to learn, to get an experience an eventually to leave if my work is not aapreciated here.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,738,487 times
You are fortunate that you were the superstar in your lifetime, some people have never been. I realize how difficult it is when your second fiddle but your still getting a paycheck and you still have a job. It's a situation you have no controll over and should try to go with the flow. Being jealous of a worker may lead to a change in your attitude at work and with your supervisor. It really is very similiar to cancer and will eat you up so the sooner you can get that under control the better off you will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment