Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,396 times

Advertisements

Lately i've been having trouble figuring out what type of job I'd actually enjoy. I've learned a lot about what I DONT like, but it's tough finding what you truly like. I hate multitasking, being super attentive to details, working with numbers/math (even though i'm quite good at it and majored in Finance).

I definitely know that I'm a "big picture" or conceptual person. Rather than detail oriented. I'm also very academically-minded. I do great in college, I love learning things, being part of a classroom discussion, understanding concepts and theories etc. Maybe more so than I do applying the concepts I've learned. Which is obviously a weakness in some ways, but oh well.. I also love writing too.

i could do something academically based but i don't know if i want to get a PHD and go through all the trouble to try to get tenure as a college professor. I've heard it's pretty cutthroat.

But I just wanted to reach out to the folks on this forum and see if somebody might have an idea of something that works for this type of personality. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Last edited by Ronnie555; 03-13-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
So you enjoy learning, thinking and developing ideas but you don't like doing anything but writing? What's worth writing that doesn't get into details....

Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
You might do well in sales. What interests you?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So you enjoy learning, thinking and developing ideas but you don't like doing anything but writing? What's worth writing that doesn't get into details....
a lot of stuff... copywriting and sales letters don't go into extreme detail and those folks make more money in 1 week than most of us make in a year. Literally. Their income taxes are more than you or I make.

When did i say i dislike everything except writing? I only added writing on at the very end of my post.

It's not like I'm some cripple that is not capable of doing anything. I'm just trying to steer myself toward a career that I'd actually enjoy. I'm excellent at problem solving and working without supervision/micro management. I can definitely take a project, run with it, and get it done. i just don't enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You might do well in sales. What interests you?
doing sales right now (sort of). I'm a recruiter. I enjoy it more than jobs in the past, I just think 5 years down the road I can't imagine I'd be doing it. I see all my managers working 11 hours a day and I'm just not that career-oriented. I really value my time and work-life balance. I think because of that, the endless treadmill feeling of having to hit quotas might not be a good thing for me, but right now sales is working out well. I work on commission, so i'd call it a sales job. So far I have no complaints, I'm just looking far ahead.

I don't know what interests me. that's the problem. tons of random stuff. stocks, motorcycles, writing, basketball, etc. haha. what a mess =)

Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
a lot of stuff... copywriting and sales letters don't go into extreme detail and those folks make more money in 1 week than most of us make in a year. Literally. Their income taxes are more than you or I make.
how do you know what anyone on these boards makes?

Quote:
When did i say i dislike everything except writing? I only added writing on at the very end of my post.

It's not like I'm some cripple that is not capable of doing anything. I'm just trying to steer myself toward a career that I'd actually enjoy. I'm excellent at problem solving and working without supervision/micro management. I can definitely take a project, run with it, and get it done. i just don't enjoy it.
Many physically challenged people are VERY capable of holding down jobs--even high level jobs. I think your insinuation says a lot about you, and if you come off that way in person, you aren't going to go too far in your career.

Quote:
doing sales right now (sort of). I'm a recruiter. I enjoy it more than jobs in the past, I just think 5 years down the road I can't imagine I'd be doing it. I see all my managers working 11 hours a day and I'm just not that career-oriented. I really value my time and work-life balance. I think because of that, the endless treadmill feeling of having to hit quotas might not be a good thing for me, but right now sales is working out well. I work on commission, so i'd call it a sales job. So far I have no complaints, I'm just looking far ahead.
I'm manage the sales department for my company and have a great work/life balance. I travel and see interesting places, catch up with old friends while I'm in their area. Sometimes it's grueling, but most of the time I have plenty of time for my personal interests. Not all sales jobs are commission based, the good ones pay a decent salary ($40-100K+) with either commission or bonus or both on top.

Quote:
I don't know what interests me. that's the problem. tons of random stuff. stocks, motorcycles, writing, basketball, etc. haha. what a mess =)
Drill that down a bit--maybe you want to work in aftermarket parts for the motorcycle industry or licensed sports merchandise. Business to business sales is where the real money is--and also where you'll get the best work/life balance. When you're in B2C sales you are at the individuals beck and call all the time, including non-traditional work hours. Once you switch to B2B, you won't get any after hours calls.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
how do you know what anyone on these boards makes?

Many physically challenged people are VERY capable of holding down jobs--even high level jobs. I think your insinuation says a lot about you, and if you come off that way in person, you aren't going to go too far in your career.

i'm never going to be that politically correct. sorry.

the guy/gal i quoted doesn't make 500,000 per year. law of averages says so. i'm waiting for him/her to prove me wrong.

2nd, i wasn't talking about being physically crippled. I meant mentally. As in- i'm not mentally crippled and unable to perform all the tasks i mentioned, its just that I don't enjoy many of them...

i've never held a job since college that had anything to do with physical ability. the thought of physical handicaps never crossed my mind for even a second while making that post.

I appreciate all the advice/info about sales jobs and advice on drilling down and narrowing down my interests. I'll certainly start trying to do that!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I had to laugh when I read the 1st post, basically wanting a job that's the exact opposite of what is required for the people I hire. Unfortunately getting a position where you work with the "big picture" requires experience with the details, working your way up into management. I always though that sales people have to pay attention to the details too, unless they are just closing the deal and have someone else to write up the paperwork, calculate discounts and shipping, and so on.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unfortunately getting a position where you work with the "big picture" requires experience with the details, working your way up into management.
Bingo! Big picture, conceptual thinkers are best suited for top management. You can't start out in top management. Gotta pay your dues. You need to understand the trees before you can truly see the big picture.

But the OP's other attributes makes it unlikely that he'll work his up the management ladder. He's admittedly not a go-getter, not interested in putting in extra effort, nor working extra hours. If he's introverted, he won't have a chance at management. The most important aspects for top management is conceptional thinking and people skills.

OP, if you love writing, start freelance writing about things you love. You like motorcycles and basketball. Write articles about that and submit them to specialty magazines. Or focus on finding jobs in those industries---sales, marketing, etc.---where you're around motocycles all the time, at trade shows, etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
i'm never going to be that politically correct. sorry.
Then you'll have a very difficult time unless you become self-employed.

[quote]the guy/gal i quoted doesn't make 500,000 per year. law of averages says so. i'm waiting for him/her to prove me wrong.[quote]

And you thing there are any copy writers who do?

Quote:
2nd, i wasn't talking about being physically crippled. I meant mentally. As in- i'm not mentally crippled and unable to perform all the tasks i mentioned, its just that I don't enjoy many of them...
We all have to do things we don't enjoy doing, it's called being an adult.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 AM

[quote=annerk;23398096]Then you'll have a very difficult time unless you become self-employed.

[quote]the guy/gal i quoted doesn't make 500,000 per year. law of averages says so. i'm waiting for him/her to prove me wrong.
Quote:

And you thing there are any copy writers who do?

We all have to do things we don't enjoy doing, it's called being an adult.
the last part is untrue. some people accept that fate, others do not. being an adult has nothing to do with it.

i know for a fact that some copywriters make 500,000 per year so you're incorrect there too.

sounds like becoming self employed is the way to go though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment