Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM

186 posts, read 217,621 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where the jobs are being created overall? I live on Long Island and there are a lot of out of work people here. I am thinking of moving down to Tampa because i love that part of florida. Just not sure how it is job wise down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
Does anyone know where the jobs are being created overall? I live on Long Island and there are a lot of out of work people here. I am thinking of moving down to Tampa because i love that part of florida. Just not sure how it is job wise down there.
Don't move to FL without a job. As far as not knowing about where the jobs are and unemployment rates, all the stats are right here online.

You need to be a little more motivated when it comes to research.

Tampa has one of the worst job markets in the country.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
That's the challenge that a unemployed person is faced with everyday they wake up and have to find out where they are. No one really knows where they are you have to be creative and lucky at the same time

Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 PM

222 posts, read 779,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's the challenge that a unemployed person is faced with everyday they wake up and have to find out where they are. No one really knows where they are you have to be creative and lucky at the same time
Totally agree with this post. It can get very frustrating, but need to move and move every day. One day it will click. I've been there before and going through that again now.

The worst is to complain that there are no jobs. Yes we all know that that there are no many outside. Though there are still hiring..just need to find where and figure out HOW to find where they are. Then it is all about the fit and you "doing your homework".

Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Totally agree with this post. It can get very frustrating, but need to move and move every day. One day it will click. I've been there before and going through that again now.

The worst is to complain that there are no jobs. Yes we all know that that there are no many outside. Though there are still hiring..just need to find where and figure out HOW to find where they are. Then it is all about the fit and you "doing your homework".
I think it is more about the fit, and if it is a truely open position. I know I have "done my homework" on many jobs and known people who could help me get the job..and still didn't get it, saying I wasn't "the right fit" even though I was perfectly qualified and the interviews went great.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
i hate to see a sign "we're hiring" and you go there with your resume ready to give it to HR or whoever and they tell you go online...when i'm standing right here..in the HR dept..with the d--- paper!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i hate to see a sign "we're hiring" and you go there with your resume ready to give it to HR or whoever and they tell you go online...when i'm standing right here..in the HR dept..with the d--- paper!
I would have said forget that company and moved on.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Ya, Everything is online now days, but they want you to make an account, remember another password, just to submit your resume along with answering a 100 question test on your personality...just take the resume I'm handing you!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Don't move to FL without a job. As far as not knowing about where the jobs are and unemployment rates, all the stats are right here online.

You need to be a little more motivated when it comes to research.

Tampa has one of the worst job markets in the country.
Friends of mine who'd lived here for several years moved to that area a couple of years ago. I warned them at the time of the poor opportunities there but they remained very upbeat. Good job in a way that they sold their home here and had money to fall back on as, two years later, she's doing some part-time online marketing and he still hasn't found a job (and he does have a healthy resumé). The grass isn't always greener and proper research is an absolute MUST.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Friends of mine who'd lived here for several years moved to that area a couple of years ago. I warned them at the time of the poor opportunities there but they remained very upbeat. Good job in a way that they sold their home here and had money to fall back on as, two years later, she's doing some part-time online marketing and he still hasn't found a job (and he does have a healthy resumé). The grass isn't always greener and proper research is an absolute MUST.
Healthy resume???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment