U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM

386 posts, read 924,978 times

Advertisements

Just wondering where all the jobs are? I constantly hear there are jobs being created all over the country, but how the heck do you go about finding them? The online job boards are so over filled with duplications and non existent postings, yet you can't walk into a store and ask for a resume. It seems like the only way you know of an upcoming job now days is to be employed in the company that is having a vacancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 AM

3,286 posts, read 6,229,141 times
North Dakota.

Their unemployment rate is currently 3.3%.

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

Old 03-10-2012, 10:29 AM

222 posts, read 707,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
Just wondering where all the jobs are? I constantly hear there are jobs being created all over the country, but how the heck do you go about finding them? The online job boards are so over filled with duplications and non existent postings, yet you can't walk into a store and ask for a resume. It seems like the only way you know of an upcoming job now days is to be employed in the company that is having a vacancy.
Contacts - that is the only suggestion I have. There are some jobs around, but you will never know that they exist unless you know someone there.

sorry it is hard, but you need to be creative in this environment.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM

11,786 posts, read 13,112,055 times
There are jobs. Just not enough to go around. And when the media starts talking about jobs created, you might as well not even listen. 200K jobs created isn't going to do squat. Many of the jobs being created these days are paying less, or require unique skillsets that are difficult to come by. It's a whole new ballgame these days...

Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM

386 posts, read 924,978 times
Ya, I agree contacts are the way to go, but you can't even find the contacts much any more, and if you do, they are usually not willing to help out. Ive had interviews for jobs where several contacts recommended me, and I didn't get the job.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM

38,792 posts, read 19,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
North Dakota.

Their unemployment rate is currently 3.3%.

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer
Yeah but how many JOBS are available there???

Old 03-10-2012, 03:41 PM

222 posts, read 707,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
Ya, I agree contacts are the way to go, but you can't even find the contacts much any more, and if you do, they are usually not willing to help out. Ive had interviews for jobs where several contacts recommended me, and I didn't get the job.
Well from my experience the environment is totally different now. Why people think that contacts should help you to get a job?

What contacts do
(a) they can tell you if there are openings available
(b) tell you whom to send your resume - THIS IS THE BEST - you resume will be in the right place and not lost in black application boxes
(c) yes can give a reference...

The rest is really fit and how you perform..

I do believe that when the market was great, yes maybe you tell someone about someone and that someone can get a job. Now it is totally different.

I am not sure what field we are talking about, but LinkedIn is the best source for contacts. I am in finance so it works perfect for me.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,117 posts, read 49,872,187 times
The Seattle Times jobs classified section back for two years has been maybe 2-3 columns long. In the last few months there have been 2-3 full pages of ads, many at Mircosoft T-Mobile and Amazon. The less skilled jobs or those requiring less experience are sprinkled through but there are very few. The easier to qualify, the less they need to advertise. Businesses will hang a sign in the window and pull it down a day or two later with plenty of applicants
and save the cost or time of posting online or in the papers. Just yesterday I noticed a "Now Hiring" sign at Macy's at Westlake Center downtown and few more in small shops and restaurants.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,041,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Well from my experience the environment is totally different now. Why people think that contacts should help you to get a job?

What contacts do
(a) they can tell you if there are openings available
(b) tell you whom to send your resume - THIS IS THE BEST - you resume will be in the right place and not lost in black application boxes
(c) yes can give a reference...

The rest is really fit and how you perform..

I do believe that when the market was great, yes maybe you tell someone about someone and that someone can get a job. Now it is totally different.

I am not sure what field we are talking about, but LinkedIn is the best source for contacts. I am in finance so it works perfect for me.

Why does it work better because you are in finance?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,041,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah but how many JOBS are available there???
Not only that how many and what type of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or