U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM

11,786 posts, read 13,098,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I worked 60 hour work weeks from January through April 15 at a CPA firm for a couple of years- 10 hour days Monday through Saturday. With commuting and lunch time added in, they were really 13 hour days. I really was living at the office and only came home to sleep. I had Sunday off, but I used it to catch up on lost sleep from the rest of the week. I sure didn't have time to post on Internet forums. I now work 40 hour weeks making the same amount I made at my 60 hour a week hell job. Don't miss it one bit.
For me, 60 hours means 10 hours X 6 day. Working afternoons is nice though. Enjoy the morning, go for a run, go to the park or the beach in the summer, do everything I need to get done at home early. Very nice not dealing with the traffic either. Of course, that leaves only one day for the weekend, but ya sure do appreciate it twice as much! Actually, a typical workweek is more like 58. I only work 8 hours on Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,078,416 times
Stay put, since you love your job, no guarantee that you'll love the next one

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,268,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Stay put, since you love your job, no guarantee that you'll love the next one
Very true. And I wouldn't be able to handle the heat and the bugs.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM

5,507 posts, read 8,950,971 times
You don't mind working 60 hours so why would you move to take a big pay cut and work less hours?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 AM

11,786 posts, read 13,098,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You don't mind working 60 hours so why would you move to take a big pay cut and work less hours?
To learn new things. I could do what I am doing now and be happy with it, maybe move up in the company after another year or two. At the same time, I would be working in a much more narrow facet of my profession. The other job is more broad in regards to the responsibilities. Also, I like the type of work that I would be doing in Florida much more. This stuff here gets a bit stressful at times, and sometimes boring.

And I work 60 hours here because 1) it's the norm for busy times and 2) Chicago is expensive! If there was no OT, I'd be outta here. I may not mind it, but I don't want to be doing it for the rest of my life. I would still have opportunity for OT in Florida, but 50 hours, 5 days a week. Probably would be looking more at 43-45K a year out there after the overtime. Plenty to afford a house after large down payment, along with other living expenses. COL out here prices me out of the market for anything but a condo, and I don't believe in living on your OT. To me, that's reckless and unsustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You have good reasons to both stay and go. The last time I had to make a decision like this, I made a chart and listed the pros and cons, then revised over the next day or so. When I did that, the decision came into focus, and it was a good one. It might be worth a try - committing something to writing can help provide clarity.
I took your advice, and appreciate the tip. I'll admit, I felt kinda cheesy taking time to write it all out, but it sure did help! What I concluded was Florida offers what I feel is a better opportunity for work-life balance, opportunity to do work I enjoy more, and opportunity to get away from the stresses of big city life. I could be happy here in Chicago, and with this job... At the same time, I'm young enough and financially secure enough to take a risk. The payout will not be in monetary terms. If I wanted to work tons of overtime here down the road, I could be making serious $$$ with more experience. At the same time, I'm more concerned about finding something I will be happy doing for another 3 decades at least. I think Florida will be the smartest long term option for me. Not only that, you can make a lot of money here, and it's never enough. It costs a small fortune just to live in a shoebox here, and the property taxes are obnoxious. People here just shrug their shoulders about it, but it was a real shock when I came here.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 AM

5,507 posts, read 8,950,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
To learn new things. I could do what I am doing now and be happy with it, maybe move up in the company after another year or two. At the same time, I would be working in a much more narrow facet of my profession. The other job is more broad in regards to the responsibilities. Also, I like the type of work that I would be doing in Florida much more. This stuff here gets a bit stressful at times, and sometimes boring.

And I work 60 hours here because 1) it's the norm for busy times and 2) Chicago is expensive! If there was no OT, I'd be outta here. I may not mind it, but I don't want to be doing it for the rest of my life. I would still have opportunity for OT in Florida, but 50 hours, 5 days a week. Probably would be looking more at 43-45K a year out there after the overtime. Plenty to afford a house after large down payment, along with other living expenses. COL out here prices me out of the market for anything but a condo, and I don't believe in living on your OT. To me, that's reckless and unsustainable.

I took your advice, and appreciate the tip. I'll admit, I felt kinda cheesy taking time to write it all out, but it sure did help! What I concluded was Florida offers what I feel is a better opportunity for work-life balance, opportunity to do work I enjoy more, and opportunity to get away from the stresses of big city life. I could be happy here in Chicago, and with this job... At the same time, I'm young enough and financially secure enough to take a risk. The payout will not be in monetary terms. If I wanted to work tons of overtime here down the road, I could be making serious $$$ with more experience. At the same time, I'm more concerned about finding something I will be happy doing for another 3 decades at least. I think Florida will be the smartest long term option for me. Not only that, you can make a lot of money here, and it's never enough. It costs a small fortune just to live in a shoebox here, and the property taxes are obnoxious. People here just shrug their shoulders about it, but it was a real shock when I came here.
Sounds reasonable. Not all of Florida is cheap though. You'll want to spend some time in the area you think you can get a house cheap in.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 AM

14,214 posts, read 16,018,232 times
If you go forward with the move to Florida, once you settle, you will most likely be very happy with your decision. It will change your life in a very good way. It is smart of you to take steps to expand your career and work experience.

One of the best decisions I made in my life was to move away from Chicago. I did it in my 20s as well.

What metro area of Florida?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,698,953 times
I have to agree that all parts of Florida are different. I'm in Orlando and even parts of Orlando are different. I spent the first year and a half in the Universal Studios area...it was nice, but I just moved to a quieter area and like it much more. If there were jobs, I would move to Tampa area or Melbourne on the other side.

As for the cost of living, here is what I found. Rent/mortgage is where you save. I'm from CT/NY/NJ area and what I'm paying here is about half or 40% less than for a similar place in that area and my commute is non-existent (I now live 4 miles from work). Entertainment can be expensive, but as soon as you get Florida residency it's cheaper and if you like outdoors then it's virtually free. As far as food, Publix is outrageous...I either shop at Walmart (not my favorite) or Target (still not cheap) and Aldi is pretty cheap. It takes me more than one store to complete my shopping, but if you have some extra $$ Publix is good, but I just hate spending twice as much on something I know I can get for cheaper down the street.

I found car insurance to be the same price and gas is a bit cheaper, but I drive more :-/ I pay about $125 for a 2 bedroom apartment in electricity bills...that's at the peak. In the "winter" it's half that. Cable/internet, water and other bills are the same.

However, not paying a lot for rent is nice, everything else can be adjusted.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM

1,889 posts, read 6,950,479 times
If there's a way to ensure that you would have the same opportunity available if it doesn't work out in Fla, I'd give it a go. Do the real math on it first. As the other poster mentioned earlier, we don't pay state or municipal tax. At the end of the day, what goes into that bank account is what matters. I still have family up north and I've always listened to the complaints about pay differences. I did the math on my own job and I fared better here than I would have in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment