U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
771 posts, read 1,054,055 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

Okay yesterday I had my final round interview, and today I was told that I am the leading candidate but the final decision will be made on Thursday. Okay so I am doing good, but I don't got it yet. I am well aware.

They asked me if I have any questions or concerns (this is via email). I haven't responded just yet. But I do have a concern.

Where I currently work, I love the people and I really want to leave on good terms. With that being said, this is quite possibly the worst time to leave them. Not for my sake, but for their's. We have just been given about 6 projects in one week when the norm is 1 project every two weeks. We have been dumped so many projects on us that they are hiring someone else to help out with the overload of work. Even I am super stressed out.

With that being said, if I get the offer, I will give two weeks. However, with all these projects dumped on us like this, 2 weeks is not enough to help them out. In reality it would take anywhere from 4-5 weeks. My original plan was to do everything I could in the two weeks and then when I start my new job, still help them out in my old job for a month or so by working on the weekends for them. Is this a bad idea? Should my new possible employer know about this? I am hetitating telling them as they might not like it (the new employer that is) but I feel it would be even worse if I didn't tell them and some how they strangely found out.

I just would feel terrible leaving them hanging like this. Normally I wouldn't, but we have had so much dumped on in the past 2 weeks that is has been overwhelming for everyone. Then me leaving on top that would make it horrible.

Advice? When it comes down to to it I will do what I have to do, even if it means leaving my old workplace hanging, but it's not what I want to do, and even morally I feel bad.


Also another question:

They asked me if I am interviewing anywhere else. I was actually contacted last week for an interview, but I decided to decline the interview as it was not what I wanted out of a career. Should I mention this? Or will it sound too much like I am saying "I am in demand and what not?"

Last edited by ChikidII; 03-13-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
1,696 posts, read 3,062,030 times
Reputation: 1535
I know it's easy to let your conscience have a huge say in the matter, but try not to. You owe your old employer 2 weeks notice, and that's it. Let's face it- there is almost never a good time for a valued employee to leave a company.

And, I wouldn't stick around helping on weekends, either. That just leaves you entangled with your old job, and saps energy from your new one which isn't fair either.

JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
771 posts, read 1,054,055 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I know it's easy to let your conscience have a huge say in the matter, but try not to. You owe your old employer 2 weeks notice, and that's it. Let's face it- there is almost never a good time for a valued employee to leave a company.

And, I wouldn't stick around helping on weekends, either. That just leaves you entangled with your old job, and saps energy from your new one which isn't fair either.

JMHO
Yeah, I am thinking of maybe just really working extra and super hard during those two weeks. Even coming in on the weekends. Then after two weeks it's over.

I also feel it would be too stressful. Starting a new job, and still wrapping up the old one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
 
1,258 posts, read 1,474,984 times
Reputation: 1392
1. Don't stress out too much about old/current job. If you need to start in two weeks, then just give a two week notice, work as hard as you can, then leave. If you want to help out, and they want your help, weekend work is fine, but I wouldn't let the new employer know, and definitely not right now, before you have an offer in your hand. Look into any non-disclosure/non-competing agreements you may have at the old or new place in case you want to keep working for the old employer for a little while.
Normally, management realizes that once you give them the notice, you are more or less on your way out mentally, and don't expect you to work that hard. If the new employer doesn't need you to start that soon, you can always give a notice longer than 2 weeks. I've given 4 weeks notice and worked like crazy my last month at my previous job - I also felt like I owed the people I worked with there so much. But this is not the norm, and you need to figure out where your loyalties now are.
2. When asked if I'm interviewing elsewhere, I prefer to give an honest straight answer - tell them you had an interview request but declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 38,429,852 times
Reputation: 16101
They will get on without you. They did before you joined. They will after. What if you got hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow? What would they do?

Give your standard notice on move on with life. That doesn't mean you can't answer the occasional email or phone call. But don't let it get out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
771 posts, read 1,054,055 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
1. Don't stress out too much about old/current job. If you need to start in two weeks, then just give a two week notice, work as hard as you can, then leave. If you want to help out, and they want your help, weekend work is fine, but I wouldn't let the new employer know, and definitely not right now, before you have an offer in your hand. Look into any non-disclosure/non-competing agreements you may have at the old or new place in case you want to keep working for the old employer for a little while.
Normally, management realizes that once you give them the notice, you are more or less on your way out mentally, and don't expect you to work that hard. If the new employer doesn't need you to start that soon, you can always give a notice longer than 2 weeks. I've given 4 weeks notice and worked like crazy my last month at my previous job - I also felt like I owed the people I worked with there so much. But this is not the norm, and you need to figure out where your loyalties now are.
2. When asked if I'm interviewing elsewhere, I prefer to give an honest straight answer - tell them you had an interview request but declined.

Thanks this helps a lot! More advice would be great as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
771 posts, read 1,054,055 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They will get on without you. They did before you joined. They will after. What if you got hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow? What would they do?

Give your standard notice on move on with life. That doesn't mean you can't answer the occasional email or phone call. But don't let it get out of hand.
Good points. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: between three Great Lakes.
1,645 posts, read 1,798,529 times
Reputation: 5428
Please don't "help out on the weekends" at the old job unless you are paid to do so. DO NOT work for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
 
9,371 posts, read 15,895,975 times
Reputation: 17228
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They will get on without you. They did before you joined. They will after. What if you got hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow? What would they do?

Give your standard notice on move on with life. That doesn't mean you can't answer the occasional email or phone call. But don't let it get out of hand.

This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,292,133 times
Reputation: 16469
There are so many people out there looking for work they could probably get a new guy tomorrow. Not saying that you're not really good at what you do, but there is always SOMEONE out there who can join and get caught right up and be on par with everyone. There are people who have been doing your job for many years and wouldn't have any problems jumping on the bus. Don't worry too much over it, you have to do what you have to do to make things right for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top