Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:12 AM

344 posts, read 1,052,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had to laugh when I read the 1st post, basically wanting a job that's the exact opposite of what is required for the people I hire. Unfortunately getting a position where you work with the "big picture" requires experience with the details, working your way up into management. I always though that sales people have to pay attention to the details too, unless they are just closing the deal and have someone else to write up the paperwork, calculate discounts and shipping, and so on.
any half decent company with quality sales people will take all the stuff you said out of their hands.. calculating shipping? if they have a half decent sales person they'll do everything they can to make sure they don't have to do that. Sales people get paid a lot, if they're good. The sales people at my last job made more than anyone. Multiple people making 100-200k per MONTH. no lie. and this is in a private company that most ppl have never heard of.

I guess if your company structure is set up where you have 300 bad salespeople rather than 30 great salespeople, then you can have them doing paperwork, etc. but it seems much more efficient to have them just trying to get people sold on the product/service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
any half decent company with quality sales people will take all the stuff you said out of their hands.. calculating shipping? if they have a half decent sales person they'll do everything they can to make sure they don't have to do that. Sales people get paid a lot, if they're good. The sales people at my last job made more than anyone. Multiple people making 100-200k per MONTH. no lie. and this is in a private company that most ppl have never heard of.

I guess if your company structure is set up where you have 300 bad salespeople rather than 30 great salespeople, then you can have them doing paperwork, etc. but it seems much more efficient to have them just trying to get people sold on the product/service.

Those people (just like your 500,000 copywriter) are the exception and not the norm.

I have known many who work in sales-- selling everything from the tiniest pieces that are crucial in specific types of machinery used in nuclear power plants to huge fiber optic builds for large universities/schools/etc.

The only guy who was really making close to the figure of 6 figures a month (in commission) was the nuclear power plant guy. And it was not a guaranteed every single month, a good chunk of the months, yes-- but not always.

Honestly-- it takes a special person to do sales-- and be truly hugely successful. And just because you have done recruiting-- does not mean you can transfer to sales with ease. I was incredibly successful as a recruiter in my early 20s. Made WAY too much money for someone that young (aka I blew most of it) and then i went into B2B sales and the whole sales cycle-- etc was not my cup of tea. Very different.

Copywriting may be conceptually amazing-- but in reality it takes an amazing amount of intuition, facts, and details to turn out copy. You may be working on the same thing for weeks or months. For someone who prefers to just "think" about things-- versus actually honing them and getting it done not so sure that you would be a fit for that.

And a 500,000 copywriter (who may or may not exist--although the odds may increase if they own their own firm, etc) is like the sales guys-- the exception and not the norm.

And that guy/gal who is at 500k as a copywriter didn't just get there in a couple years. There was proven success over I imagine quite a few years.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
Quote:

A halfway decent sales person-- is NOT going to set expectations with a customer that will end up backfiring. I have worked on the operations side operationalizing what a sales rep sells-- and if the deal ends up costing more and costing the company money-- there is a chance we would end up eating it depending on the account.

However, the REALLY good sales people I have worked with are those who KNOW the details and nuannces of their industry. They KNOW in great detail things like "shipping" or time to delivery, factors that could prevent successful completion of a project, etc.. because they WANT that customer to be able to hurry and get "live" so that they get their commission and so that they have a referenceable client who will also supply them connections and leads.

Sales who think they can just "sell" the product without attention to details usually burn out fast when they have no real network or they have mainly irritated clients who learn during the implementation process that oh yeah-- there is actually a different cost for that, versus this.

My impressions is that you have "seen" sales reps, you have maybe hired them-- but you have not really spent a lot of time seeing their end to end or what really sets apart the exceptional from the average short timers.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
And a 500,000 copywriter (who may or may not exist--
It takes an awful lot to surprise me but such a salary for a copywriter would totally shock me. I think an extra zero has been added on ... the average salary of a senior copywriter in a Fortune 500 environment is $80K.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:

My sales people are required to prepare their own proposals, but the shipping and other similar costs are provided to them by other people within the company. I'm not having them waste their time calling freight companies for quotes. They do need to figure a lot of other costs though. Often they have a set of numbers that are the costs to complete a job from the various departments--parts, labor, freight, outside vendors, etc. They need to mark those numbers up so we make a profit but still be competitive. They know their customers and who else will be bidding various jobs and have the competitive analysis they've developed to bid "just right."

So there is detailed work involved, but a lot of the job is big picture as well.

Our sales people are the highest compensated in the company. They also spend a lot of time on the road and don't work 9-5, so some weeks they might put in 20 hours, but when there's a $30M job on the line, they could easily put in over 100 several weeks in a row perfecting the quote and proposal.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It takes an awful lot to surprise me but such a salary for a copywriter would totally shock me. I think an extra zero has been added on ... the average salary of a senior copywriter in a Fortune 500 environment is $80K.
Exactly. I've spent the majority of my working life in marketing in one form or another so I've worked with a number of copywriters, editors, writers, layout artists, graphic artists, etc.etc.etc. and have never known any of them--even the really top notch ones who made more than about $125K. That would be for a senior/director level person in NYC or LA. The average was probably closer to $25K for junior level, $35-75K for intermediate level, and $75-100K for senior level. This was over a variety of industries located in multiple geographic regions and various company sizes.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Why don't you get involved in real estate property management(leasing, maintenance) , possibly at the commercial level. Maybe start with apartment complex property management and then aim to transfer into commercial office buuldings/strip malls, etc.

Lots of big picture work, some sales but not as many quotas as other sales jobs.

Big bucks can be made. You could eventially decide to own your own business, or can work for others. You could eventually plan to own some of the real estate that you manage, if you want to go this route. Some huge money can be made here...buying/selling/investing. You could get into land at the commercial level or office buildings (new, fixup, etc) or condos or even apartment complexes or new subdivisions. You could decide to get invoved in development of projects from the ground up. Soooo much opportunty in this line of work.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
And that guy/gal who is at 500k as a copywriter didn't just get there in a couple years. There was proven success over I imagine quite a few years.
And didn't get there just working 40 hour weeks too.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
For conceptual, nothing would be more perfect than an account executive position at an advertising agency. But you majored in the wrong thing at college. I doubt you would get your foot in the door at an ad agency with a finance degree.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
OP I wish I knew the job you're describing b/c I'm exactly the same as you. I would love to start / buy a business (I believe the whole "I'll never be that politically incorrect" statement, which applies to me as well, pretty much eliminates everything except self-employment in this day and age.) However, the whole idea is so overwhelming because of the details. I too majored in finance in college, ended up teaching math, got out finally after 18 yrs, and now here I sit, wondering what to do next. If you come up with something let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment