Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,543,951 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember me as I have posted asking for advice with interviews and such. I thank you all in the past for the help!

I have just reached a point of frustration. I mean, what DOES it TAKE to get a call back? I am just looking for an internship. Here are some examples of what I have been told and done.

1. Went to a career fair at my school. The recruiter told me that I was the ONLY Professional student who showed up with a cover letter and resume. She called me and set me up with an interview only for them to cancel and reschedule because one interviewer could not make it. So I go to the rescheduled one and the other interviewer STILL did not show up. Needless to say, I did not get it despite my work experience and how I was told I was the only professional student at that school.
  2. Another company needed someone for web page development and social media. I have shown my examples and work (attained English Minor) and still do not hear back.
  3. Another company told me to message them additional writing samples. That night, I did it right away. At the interview, they did not know what the position entailed exactly (strange right) but *I* had the printout.
  4. I had references FROM THE COMPANY ITSELF and I still have not heard back. I did great on their writing assessment and data analysis.

Keep in mind that I have a letter of recommendation from the DEAN and professors in my field. Also, I have references (who have not been contacted) who are trustworthy and would only say good things about me. I feel like I am more prepared than the interviews themselves! Showing up on time and having EVERYTHING ahead of time (References, work samples, coursework, resumes, cover letters and anything related to the job).

I also find it so rude that they do not let me know what they decided. I do not wish to feel like a pest either but it just sucks. I know it is their market but how hard is it to show some respect?

I don't know what it is. Is there always someone who is better than me? Bad luck? Am I doing something wrong?

Any advice? I really want an internship over the summer before I graduate. I just feel so frustrated not knowing what else I can do or what I am doing wrong. What does it take? I even do follow ups and say "thank you".

I truly appreciate you all reading this and the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,858,106 times
Sorry, but I can't remember what your major is... That info might help.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,543,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sorry, but I can't remember what your major is... That info might help.
I am majoring in Business Marketing.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,858,106 times
Have you considered speaking to some smaller companies and asking them if they'd be willing to take you on as an intern for the summer? I'm talking really small places with only a handful of employees. My guess is that you'd get a lot more hands on experience with them than some of the big corps.

I'd literally go door-to-door at smaller companies in your area, ask for the owner and then ask to make an appointment to discuss it because you value his time. My guess is that many of those business owners did internships when they were in school and they might be willing to take you on. And because they are small companies they are off the radar of the traditional internship seeker.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM

213 posts, read 1,104,652 times
Dude, finding a job blows. No matter what. No matter how great you are. No matter your experience. College major def does not matter in most cases. Welcome to the hell of finding a job. Welcome to finding a job that is even remotely close to what you want. I have no advice, but to just keep plugging away. Send your resume everywhere. Good luck with it all.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,185 posts, read 80,329,413 times
Don't beat yourself up. You might have been a shoe-in a few years ago, but now you are competing with people having a lot of experience willing to work for far less than they made in their previous job.

Yes, in some ways it seems like there will always be someone better qualified, but if you keep trying some luck can come your way. Unfortunately some people become so frustrated that it shows in the interviews and ruins their chances. Don't let that happen to you. Just under a year ago I interviewed
15 people for an opening. Two of them, when asked why they were the best person for the job, said that they "probably weren't." Needless to say neither of them was selected.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,843,460 times
Times are tough, and perhaps companies have even less of a budget for internships. You've got good advice here so far...go for the smaller companies. Look at the business listings in your town's chamber of commerce and find the owners there. You may not have to play phone tag like you would with large companies, and you'd likely get the decision maker right away. My oldest child is an incoming college freshman in the fall. This early, I'm already sounding out to my friends that they can expect to hear from me for placement assistance in their companies. I've even started talking to a friend for my son who is still a HS sophomore. But they are on very targeted career tracks and I happen to be part of a rather tight group of schoolmates who keep in touch to this day. It can't hurt to do as much as I could for them. Who knows what the job market would be like for them when they get out of college.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:56 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,617 times
It's not you.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM

417 posts, read 823,168 times
Most new graduates who didn't screw around tend to have a stock of good recommendations from their professors. I'm sure these recommendations help, but without experience I'm guessing they're not looked upon as highly differential to the average recruiter/ HM. Furthermore, without any real experience in your field, you start to look like more and more of the same. It's a numbers game. It's a game that companies have more and more control over.

Someone I know graduated in Graphic Design + some other tech degree. They searched getting like 2 interviews, distributing their portfolio, etc over the course of 7 months with no success. In the end, they basically gave up on this route. Instead, since they still were connected to the Univ, they asked their professors directly if they could volunteer on anything they had going ( even if it would normally pay). They did the same for all ex-classmates they had in their field who were working, and having them ask their bosses. They got one. That become their internship. So I don't know if you tried already, but you could ask the dean/etc to work on anything for free. That being said, it's probably different degree to degree. I don't really know anything about structure of business internships...

Whatever. The point is that it's probably not you. It's just that there are so many people out there similar to you that your efforts won't necessarily pay off immediately. You have to keep that in mind. Still, you should EXPAND your search. Look high and low, free and paying, in and out of state,etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,140,237 times
can you offer to intern for free? my school had a program where they'd give you a stipend if you did an unpaid summer internship provided you qualified for financial aid. yours may have something similar- something to look into
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment