U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,646,645 times

Advertisements

The amount of junk mail and credit card offers that show up in the mail box every day. It's not quite back to what I was getting in 2006, but getting pretty close.

For a couple years I'd get a credit card offer every couple of months, now it's every couple of days.

And when the economy totally tanked, advertising budgets were cut to nothing and the junk mail pretty much stopped. Today I got eight different pieces of junk mail ranging from an invitation to a get rich in real estate seminar to a vacation club pitch to a flyer from a local furniture store and anything in between.

The fact that the companies are sending this mail again shows they are starting to see profits again--and conversely they are hiring people to handle the advertising/design, printing, and mailing again.

It shows promise that the economy is continuing to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,041,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The amount of junk mail and credit card offers that show up in the mail box every day. It's not quite back to what I was getting in 2006, but getting pretty close.

For a couple years I'd get a credit card offer every couple of months, now it's every couple of days.

And when the economy totally tanked, advertising budgets were cut to nothing and the junk mail pretty much stopped. Today I got eight different pieces of junk mail ranging from an invitation to a get rich in real estate seminar to a vacation club pitch to a flyer from a local furniture store and anything in between.

The fact that the companies are sending this mail again shows they are starting to see profits again--and conversely they are hiring people to handle the advertising/design, printing, and mailing again.

It shows promise that the economy is continuing to improve.
Meh- my experience is different. It seems like I NEVER stopped getting those damned offers. Every time I turn around, my mail bin is filled up with that junk, and that's been the case pretty much non-stop for a long time.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,951,361 times
I don't get any of those anymore. I opted out years ago (via credit reporting agencies). Here's some info from the Federal Trade Commission on additional ways to protect your privacy:

Federal Trade Commission

Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,646,645 times
I've opted out as well, but they still come. If you have an account with that bank or lending institution, they still send all the offers, even if you've opted out. Amex is one of the worst for it. I got two separate offers from their affiliates today!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,085 posts, read 49,828,962 times
Hey, the postal service would have been out of business years ago without that junk mail. Surely you don't want your mailman to join the ranks of the unemployed!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:59 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,501,419 times
U.S. economy's growth rate a strong 2.8% in 3rd quarter - latimes.com

Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,971,831 times
Credit is part of the problem. People buying houses they couldn't afford and racking up credit cards they couldn't pay off.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM

11,786 posts, read 13,102,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Credit is part of the problem. People buying houses they couldn't afford and racking up credit cards they couldn't pay off.
The economy would crash and burn without credit. But nice try.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:12 PM

5,233 posts, read 8,096,221 times
Bless your heart. Junk mail equates to economic improvement? Do some research. Ask yourself WHY we need to continue a .25% DISCOUNT RATE and 85 billion of bond buying per month by the fed if the economy is improving. 85 billion per month is over 1 trillion dollars per year.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 AM

25,043 posts, read 14,253,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Bless your heart. Junk mail equates to economic improvement? Do some research. Ask yourself WHY we need to continue a .25% DISCOUNT RATE and 85 billion of bond buying per month by the fed if the economy is improving. 85 billion per month is over 1 trillion dollars per year.
Some people just try to use coralation for causation. The fact is the credit cards never stopped. Several have sent for me to apply over the recession/recovery but that doesn't mean crap. The point is for many, the economy is good only if you are in the stock market or didn't lose your high paying job (or found one to replace your previous job.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment