Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

My husband works as an aircraft dispatcher, Most people thinks its the same as air traffic control. But its not. Its a certificate program. You start out your career at a regional airline making maybe 27000-33000 a year. After maybe 5 years, give or take you can go on to a major carrier making anywhere between 45-55k to start, and top off at over a 100k 10-15 years later. Its a hard job as far as you will most likely be low senority for many years and work very nontraditional hours. But on the other hand there are other great benefits working for an airline. Like travel anywhere in the world for free.
The reason I bring this up is because these regional airlines are hiring all the time. My husband just left a regional for a major carrier after 4 years. He received his dispatch certificate at 33 and after a few years of hard work he finally moved on. He loves aviation. I'm just giving some of you an idea. There are jobs out there that does not require years in school and you can still make it your career.

Flight Dispatcher Career Overview

What are some other suggestions for jobs that are available that most people don't know exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
There are a bunch. Elevator Operators. Everyone thinks they are all gone. But some buildings have ancient elevators that are too expensive to replace. But not all have great benefits. In many cases you are self-employed and how much you make depends on business conditions and whether you are willing to put in the hours when it is good.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There are a bunch. Elevator Operators. Everyone thinks they are all gone. But some buildings have ancient elevators that are too expensive to replace. But not all have great benefits. In many cases you are self-employed and how much you make depends on business conditions and whether you are willing to put in the hours when it is good.

So where do learn about elevators?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
If you want to start at 40,000 or more a year without a college degree, look at the railroad. They hire conductors off the street. You have to be willing to relocate (unless the opening is in your town), but they train and pay for relocation under certain circumstances.

On the flipside, it is long hours, physical work, and completely on call. If you are a bachelor, it is a great deal! Just know that they own you for the most part. Mind, body, and soul baby! But hell, if you ever wondered what it's like to "drive" a freight train, the opportunity exists to become an engineer after only a year (sometimes less). Just know that there are lots of rules, and they have very heavy handed discipline techniques. They like "yes" men. If you're ex-military and don't know where to look for a job, go railroad!

Just go to UPRR.com or BNSF.com for the west coast. If you're east coast, check out CSX or NS.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If you want to start at 40,000 or more a year without a college degree, look at the railroad. They hire conductors off the street. You have to be willing to relocate (unless the opening is in your town), but they train and pay for relocation under certain circumstances.

On the flipside, it is long hours, physical work, and completely on call. If you are a bachelor, it is a great deal! Just know that they own you for the most part. Mind, body, and soul baby! But hell, if you ever wondered what it's like to "drive" a freight train, the opportunity exists to become an engineer after only a year (sometimes less). Just know that there are lots of rules, and they have very heavy handed discipline techniques. They like "yes" men. If you're ex-military and don't know where to look for a job, go railroad!

Just go to UPRR.com or BNSF.com for the west coast. If you're east coast, check out CSX or NS.

Wow, a friend of ours just was hired with BSNF as a dispatcher. His military experience along with his 7 years working for continental airlines as a dispatcher landed him a 85k /year job.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow, a friend of ours just was hired with BSNF as a dispatcher. His military experience along with his 7 years working for continental airlines as a dispatcher landed him a 85k /year job.
Yes. Ex-military ATC's have #1 priority for train dispatcher positions. Those that have private ATC experience in addition to military are a virtual shoe-in for the hire. Congrats to him! I am ex military (non aircraft) and have close to a decade of railroad operations experience coupled to an undergrad cert in railroad operations and working on a Masters in Transportation management, and I didn't even qualify for an interview for dispatcher. In fact, if the position was out of Ft. Worth, he was probably one of my competitors for that recent position.

Good for him!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Yes. Ex-military ATC's have #1 priority for train dispatcher positions. Those that have private ATC experience in addition to military are a virtual shoe-in for the hire. Congrats to him! I am ex military (non aircraft) and have close to a decade of railroad operations experience coupled to an undergrad cert in railroad operations and working on a Masters in Transportation management, and I didn't even qualify for an interview for dispatcher. In fact, if the position was out of Ft. Worth, he was probably one of my competitors for that recent position.

Good for him!

Yes, it was in Ft Worth/Dallas. Im sorry you did not get it
In the army he was an artillery guy. But he had worked as an airline dispatcher for 10 years after he left the military.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yes, it was in Ft Worth/Dallas. Im sorry you did not get it
In the army he was an artillery guy. But he had worked as an airline dispatcher for 10 years after he left the military.
I wish him the best. It is an EXTREMELY demanding high stress position. If he was a prior ATC, I'm sure he will handle the job well.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
People always say, "I have a political science/international relations degree and I can't do anything with it."

You can become an intelligence analyst if you have a clean background.

Quote:
Pay
Median salary
(experienced) $82,500
Top pay $115,000

Opportunity
10-year job growth
(2006-2016) 15%
Total jobs
(current) 51,000
Online want ad growth
(April 2009-August 2009) 21%
Best Jobs in America 2009 - Top 50: Intelligence Analyst - Money Magazine on CNNMoney.com

Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Through the forum I've detailed two careers in fire protection. Specifically becoming a certified layout technician (wave) or if you are more of a hands on person become a certified inspector.

College is not required.

Do a Google search on nicet sprinkler design jobs and here is a job in Wisconsin posted 3 days ago.

Minimum requirement is NICET II or above but they prefer Level III or IV. They won't get many applications that meet the minimum qualifications because there aren't that many. They will be lucky to get two qualified applicants.

Here is the tabulation of certificate holders across the country as of February 23, 2012.

In Wisconsin there are 17 Level I, 17 Level II, 28 Level III and 23 Level IV. If every last person holding the minimum qualification statewide applied for this job they would get 68 applications.

If you want to get exotic there's a job in Hawaii. Maybe not for me but maybe someone under 30 and single? Living in Hawaii there are 2 Level I, 0 Level II, 2 Level III and 8 Level IV. With 12 people holding any level of certification the pond to pick from is kind of small and I know there is 100% employment in the field right now.

Why is certification valuable? No doubt they get a lot of US Navy work. That and other military. We're in the specifications, you gotta use me

It's the kind of job where getting an interview is easy. If I walked in cold off the street I guarantee you they would talk to me... they wouldn't let me go until they dragged me back into an office. I wouldn't fill out any silly applications until they talked to me either.

Seriously, if they don't want me there are plenty around that do.

If you are more of a hands on guy there is a very severe shortage of certified inspectors. We've been looking for a year and can't find one.

Salary isn't all that bad once you get some experience. Partial screen shot of the 2010 salary survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment