Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Prices never went down when manufacturing was moved, profit simply went up.
Not accurate; had clothing not been moved, we'd be paying several times what we now pay. And appliances and electronis dropped in price. As a kid, I'd sometimes consider hand appliances as gifts, and recall in passing aisles, 40 years ago, blenders, toasters, coffee makers were about the same or higher price as NOW. That means, as a factor of average hourly wages, prices dropped. My first VCR bought almost 30 years back was 2 heads, 2 events, basic Tandy, not hd, and cost $450. My 32" HDTV was cheaper, and I could buy 2 Blu Rays plus a portable DVD player for $450, and I'd be working 10% of the hours I needed to to make $450 vs 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Not accurate; had clothing not been moved, we'd be paying several times what we now pay. And appliances and electronis dropped in price. As a kid, I'd sometimes consider hand appliances as gifts, and recall in passing aisles, 40 years ago, blenders, toasters, coffee makers were about the same or higher price as NOW. That means, as a factor of average hourly wages, prices dropped. My first VCR bought almost 30 years back was 2 heads, 2 events, basic Tandy, not hd, and cost $450. My 32" HDTV was cheaper, and I could buy 2 Blu Rays plus a portable DVD player for $450, and I'd be working 10% of the hours I needed to to make $450 vs 1985.

The ONLY thing that went down relatively is consumer electronics. However, as someone else was pointing out, that is not neccessarily a factor of reduced labor costs alone.

The argument of "well, wed probably be paying way more for X, Y, and Z, had it not gone over seas", is not neccessarily true at all, and is highly speculative. If we assume the ridiculous profit margins being achieved today, that might be the case, however, those ridiculous profit margins were achieved in the first place large in part by exporting jobs.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 PM

35 posts, read 83,079 times
i hate employers but at the same time we need them

Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
ihatespoiledbrattypeople

OCpopculture

and despiseloathinitiating appear to be the same person?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM

62 posts, read 732,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
ihatespoiledbrattypeople

OCpopculture

wheres your evidence to support that?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
I can't believe the lengths I have to go to get the younger kids (most in early to mid twenties) to just get past another day where I work. I have to repeatedly explain the same thing over and over, be careful not to hurt their feelings explaining things, go to great lenghts to explain and show-draw-repeat in almost gradeschool levels how to do what most know they did just days or hours ago. I have to stay ahead of them and keep them working or they just wander the shop. Most will not grab a broom and clean their area,pick up tools, or ask if there is anything they can be doing, they'd rather wander,visit and joke around. And the things you have to document before firing them,my gosh!
Not to be too hard sounding here. I have been teaching people about my area of the oilfield and specialized welding for over 24 years, so I do know some about it. I got out of the patch for almost 16 years and got talked and moneyed back into it. I got back into it a couple of years ago.
I have had 200 to 250 people go on to great careers and lifestyle in the patch all over the world. Maybe less than 20 were just not teachable in this field or couldn't-wouldn't commit to the field. But I never had this much trouble. I figure I got three to four more years and all our things are paid off and I have enough to start another business. But this is my last shot at this for sure. But most old oilfield have heard that one.Ha,ha.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The ONLY thing that went down relatively is consumer electronics. However, as someone else was pointing out, that is not neccessarily a factor of reduced labor costs alone.

The argument of "well, wed probably be paying way more for X, Y, and Z, had it not gone over seas", is not neccessarily true at all, and is highly speculative. If we assume the ridiculous profit margins being achieved today, that might be the case, however, those ridiculous profit margins were achieved in the first place large in part by exporting jobs.
Most margins are far from ridiculous. I would not want corp profits down, as our 401ks, that retirement vehicle, would be worth less than putting cash under a mattress.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM

428 posts, read 900,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
ihatespoiledbrattypeople

OCpopculture

They do appeat to have the same attitude and seem to be very angry individuals

Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
They do appeat to have the same attitude and seem to be very angry individuals
Correct, and there isn't even a tiny chance their poor attitude is not showing when they meet employers. If that does not change, they will be wriiting about their lack of success finding work 5,10,20, and 30 years from now. They may get a spot job here and there, but w/o changing from within, none will last.

Its always shocking those who should be trying the hardest to mend their ways are the ones who protect the patterns that have failed them.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 49,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCpopculturelover View Post
wheres your evidence to support that?
Because you write the same way under all three screen names. So many commas separating synonyms and you quote your own posts to agree with them. It's as if you are sitting in front of your computer with a thesaurus trying to make yourself look smart.

Pick yourself up by your bootstraps, do some volunteering to make your resume look somewhat acceptable, and change your attitude. You have no idea how much I want to throw up reading your whining. I am also in my early 20s, but I busted my ass working almost full-time the entire time I was a student. It paid off and I have a job lined up for when I graduate. But even if I couldn't find a job in my field and was competing against you for an entry-level, minimum wage job, how could you fault the employer for favoring me over you? Same age, Candidate A worked his ass off his whole life and candidate B whines on a message board under three different names all day. The hiring manager who chose you over me would not have his job for very long.

No matter what your circumstances are, there is someone who had it way harder than you did, worked way harder than you did, and is doing much better than you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment