U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM

11,786 posts, read 13,112,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
That's what I'm saying. In a couple of months, you're working on a million dollar piece of equipment. It wouldn't take NEARLY as much training to do the vast majority of office jobs.

Because yes, my cousin has pretty much ZERO mechanic experience. None. But provide a little training and away he goes.
So, how do you know he's the guy repairing the tank, and not the guy washing or degreasing things? I mean seriously, everyone likes to talk up their job. Some people can make their McJobs sound like top secret NASA projects...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM

5,507 posts, read 8,955,612 times
Quote:
That's what I'm saying. In a couple of months, you're working on a million dollar piece of equipment. It wouldn't take NEARLY as much training to do the vast majority of office jobs.

Because yes, my cousin has pretty much ZERO mechanic experience. None. But provide a little training and away he goes.
It's the reward for service, the government funds training. Not all that training translates to jobs outside the military either. I still don't know why you don't join if you view it as such a great deal.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Not all that training translates to jobs outside the military either.
That's the tricky thing about the service. You have to land in the right position, and you're not always in control of your own destiny. Some technical paths, and even not so technical paths do have potential though. Even front line military can land some rather high paying private contract company work, although it tends to be exceptional dangerous.

I was almost considering joining the navy in 2008, after being laid off from my full time job. Their machinist corp is top notch, and for those that land hourly pay jobs for the navy, the pay is around $28/hr. There's a lot of interesting paths and job opportunities available for the service, but it's something many don't consider or research. The service is not simply a place for the bottom 10% of HS grads, as some people would try to make you believe.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 PM

809 posts, read 1,446,966 times
Quote:
It's the reward for service, the government funds training. Not all that training translates to jobs outside the military either. I still don't know why you don't join if you view it as such a great deal.
There's nothing in the military I want to do. My point is simply that the military clearly shows it's training, not formal education that matters when it comes to doing a job.

Training you can't get on your own time. You can't self teach it, and even if you could, how could you verify it? Private companies should be more willing to train people from the bottom up.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
There's nothing in the military I want to do. My point is simply that the military clearly shows it's training, not formal education that matters when it comes to doing a job.

Training you can't get on your own time. You can't self teach it, and even if you could, how could you verify it? Private companies should be more willing to train people from the bottom up.
Not sure it clearly shows that. Not everyone leaving the military has job options.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 PM

3,286 posts, read 6,229,141 times
Quote:
The military values formal education. I have a cousin who is in the Air Force Academy in Colorado. My high school calculus teacher graduated from the Naval Academy and had a long career as a submarine commander before retiring from the Navy.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM

3,286 posts, read 6,229,141 times
Quote:
Not sure it clearly shows that. Not everyone leaving the military has job options.
You can stay in the full 20 years and make the military your career. When you get out, you will have full VA health benefits and a nice cushy retirement.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
You can stay in the full 20 years and make the military your career. When you get out, you will have full VA health benefits and a nice cushy retirement.
Sure and that is a good plan for many. I was speaking to the idea that you could be in for five years and come out with all these skills that translate to a civilian job. That just isn't reality.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Show me one path in life where everyone is a winner? When you find that, report back so we can all flood that one isolated opportunity. The military does offer plenty services to help make the transition to private sector employment from military as smooth as possible. And if they feel a former serviceman is being discriminated against, they will raise hell about it. Trust me, they will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Unfortunately, the big push now, in the never ending battle to balance the budget, is to forcefully push military folks out early, so they can not collect those benefits, or the pension. Conservatives should take notice...

Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM

48,521 posts, read 80,450,655 times
Yep;we are likely to see them start dumping military people like what happened after vitenam;and dessert storm under Clinton. I am hopeful this time they will make the cuts in bases and alot of the civilian jobs firsr ;plus contracts.I really don't think we can cut personell any more than what we did and expect anything good when needed.I know I have and will write my representative nno personnel in miltiary ranks.I have seen to mnay veterans who where pushed out after servicing in both dessert strom and Somolia who want a career.I thnik if we want to keep atteacting qauilty people by offering a career we need to stop discarding them after combat is ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or