Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

[quote=andywire;24321163]Show me one path in life where everyone is a winner? When you find that, report back so we can all flood that one isolated opportunity. The military does offer plenty services to help make the transition to private sector employment from military as smooth as possible. And if they feel a former serviceman is being discriminated against, they will raise hell about it. Trust me, they will help.

quote]

Must be inept, based on vets higher than US average unemployment rates.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Must be inept, based on vets higher than US average unemployment rates.

So do we tell them the military is not a good path to start life? And are employers actively discriminating against those returning?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So do we tell them the military is not a good path to start life? And are employers actively discriminating against those returning?
We tell them ALL the facts, including the ugly truth that quite often, skills gained in the military are not easily transferred to the private sector. The need to staff a voluntary military IMO is behind the "implicit lie" of how valuable the skills learned are, even in later life, private sector. We must stop lying. Its the moral thing to do.

I do NOT think employers are discriminating. Its simply a case where horse and buggy drivers do not have applicable skill sets needed in 2012. (Analigious as the skill sets of the military are just as intrinsic only to military use!)

The shame lies with the government.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
The military values formal education. I have a cousin who is in the Air Force Academy in Colorado. My high school calculus teacher graduated from the Naval Academy and had a long career as a submarine commander before retiring from the Navy.
Well yea, but the military is by and large enlisted men. Not Officers. Hell, does it even matter what you majored in to be an officer? You just need to have "A" degree in most cases right?

All I"m saying is job training, experience, IMO is the most important part to doing a job. All the college in the world won't teach you how to perform in a position unless you're majoring in Accounting or some professional degree.

For everything else, for all the jobs that makes up your typical corporate office, you learn the job, on the job. If that means starting at the bottom, and picking up skills and experience and moving up, that's what it means, but that's not an opportunity that's being provided.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The economy was great when you got out of college. You talk like you graduted in the recession. You had a couple years when getting a job was easy and experience not hard to come by.
The economy wasnt great for me. Out of 308 resumes, over the course of my senior year, I ended up accepting a temp job for $10 an hour 2 months AFTER I graduated.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So, how do you know he's the guy repairing the tank, and not the guy washing or degreasing things? I mean seriously, everyone likes to talk up their job. Some people can make their McJobs sound like top secret NASA projects...

Someone has to be repairing the tank, and they all have equivalent qualifications and training requirements.

So if they all were as initially unqualified as his cousin seems to be, one of them, or probably more, is working on that tank after 14 weeks of training.

Im positive they dont have sergeants working on all of the equipment.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I was almost considering joining the navy in 2008, after being laid off from my full time job. Their machinist corp is top notch, and for those that land hourly pay jobs for the navy, the pay is around $28/hr. There's a lot of interesting paths and job opportunities available for the service, but it's something many don't consider or research. The service is not simply a place for the bottom 10% of HS grads, as some people would try to make you believe.
At various points I considered the Coast Guard or Navy, primarily because the pay was much greater then anything my college degree was going to get me, and would have a guaranteed retirement. Plus I had a huge ASVAB score. Unfortunatley, by age 15 I was already "4-F'ed" on one account, and by age 21, two. I probably could have covered up the first, but not the second.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 PM

382 posts, read 803,769 times
If you're college educated you will find work that pays decent money. If you never went to college, you are pretty much screwed. Plus, I read an article a few months back that talked about how the unemployment in this country is due to the aging population. I don't remember the exact details...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 PM

76 posts, read 91,119 times
i hate it more on how you are expected to have gained work experience by a certain age for even a minimum-wage, entry-level service job, like someone says:

"If you don't decide to find work until age 20 then of course someone is going to question what you've been doing."

"Most employers view going to school while unemployed a useful use of time, and a good character trait (displays initiative). Now if your answer to what have you been doing with yourself 18 months while unemployed is Ralph Kramden's "Humma, humma, humma...", yes you will inevitably end up in the circular file ASAP."

Why does the past have to matter to employers? why do they have to be so damn nosy about an applicant like that? why do you need a college degree just for a minimum-wage job? Why do they have to assume that if you did not finish what you started in college, you will be like that in the workplace as well?

Another person says "Exactly. The "first time for everything" opportunity comes when you're in your teens, not your twenties"

Stupid, Bull****, it should never be too late for person to get a job and to gain experience, never should be too late, even the lowest of standards type of jobs, employers, lowest paying jobs, minimum-wage or even lower want you to have experience, seriously, it's not like a person is applying to be a surgeon, doctor, FBI Agent, Engineer, etc.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:48 PM

126 posts, read 429,350 times
I didn't do a straight 1-4 year college pursuit. Financial Circumstances took me out of college for six years, but during that time I was working. I've held jobs in fields such as insurance, social work, and journalism. At the time I felt bad that I wasnt't able to return to school to finish my degree, but looking back on it I'm glad I have at least 5 solid years of working experience behind me now that I've finally finished (graduated this May). So far I've only had one interview since graduation (still waiting to hear back), but even then I could see how lucky I was to have real job experience to serve as examples to their various questions and scenarios. Only time will tell if this gives me a leg up in the hiring process, but I no longer feel so bad about having to sit out for as long as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment