Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Not all minimum wage jobs require experience. You can go work for Long John Silver's, KFC, Popeye's Chicken, and Arby's without experience. Some factory jobs will hire someone with no experience, but you have to work overtime.
Easier said then done my friend. These are the jobs I AM LOOKING FOR, and nothing ever works. I can't even get interviews. There can't be that much competition out here for these jobs. I've been harping on this issue all the time I've been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
of course there are always outliers, but unless one's parents donated enough money to the school to have buildings named after the family i doubt princeton or harvard is relaxing their academic standards significantly for legacies. legacies are what, 10-15% of enrollment anyway? but yea when i got my rejection letters from both of those schools thats what i told myself, too...if only i was a legacy or a minority! i just wasn't "privileged" enough, right?
The legacy line is a foolish one. In general an Ivy grad will be much more accomplished and educated.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The legacy line is a foolish one. In general an Ivy grad will be much more accomplished and educated.
LMAO! Really? Because I came name some people that aren't so bright who call themselves Ivy Grads.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
LMAO! Really? Because I came name some people that aren't so bright who call themselves Ivy Grads.
Yes, really.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:57 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Really.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I was chatting with my neighbor today and he was telling me he and his girlfriend are moving to a different state where it is cheaper and he can hopefully find SOME work, even retail work.

I encouraged him as a single guy to get out and keep trying to find a good place to live, to move around, look for some easier way of life.

He's 23 or 24 and never had a real job.

It's not from lack of trying. He goes to college part time and has worked for relatives but is from a rural area and since living here, he cannot find a job.

It's a pity that life has to be like this for people. We have generations growing up worse than their parents. Not everyone is LAZY or too good for a retail job. He said he would work retail but no one has called him.

This is an articulate, decent young man, not a weirdo or dirty or whatever the FOX crowd uses to justify why there is no work in this country for young people, older people, people who lost their jobs.

I have a nephew who can't find a job and is 18 years old. His brother is 16 and looking for part time work. These kids WANT to work, they want what we had, a part time job at store, or Dunkin Donuts or Friendly's or a burger shop.

It's just hard for everyone but these kids don't even get to put a foot in the door and start to make money or earn experience. Eventually these kids are going to get angry being locked out of jobs and it will be bad for society.

I remember being 18 and the companies treated you okay. You got bonuses, raises, lunch breaks, steady hours. These kids have no idea what that is like.

I find it sad. I just wanted to say it.
The dig at "the FOX crowd" was unnecessary. I'm what you would consider one of those "FOX" crowd...I know exactly what you are implying and it was uncalled for and bigoted.

As for needing experience, it's been that way for a long time, even when I was just starting out. I remember the same exact feelings: "How the hell am I going to gain experience if no one will hire me to let me gain the experience?" This is nothing new.

What is worse today is employers only hiring temp or part time or whatever they can to get out of paying a decent wage and including benefits. What they are doing is looking for top notch candidates but still paying them minimum wage or close to it. What is the problem is them having unrealistic expectations for those wages.

I wrote about this some time ago on another forum but I found this job in Miami a few years ago:

Dolphin trainer.

Must have BS in biology.
Must be SCUBA certified.
Must be bi-lingual, (apparently dolphins speak Spanish)

And what were they going to pay for all of that? A whopping $8 an hour.

THAT is the problem, these days. And it's not just the "FOX" crowd that's doing it.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I wrote about this some time ago on another forum but I found this job in Miami a few years ago:

Dolphin trainer.

Must have BS in biology.
Must be SCUBA certified.
Must be bi-lingual, (apparently dolphins speak Spanish)

And what were they going to pay for all of that? A whopping $8 an hour.
The only problem I see with that is the pay... which is (in my opinion) absurdly low.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The only problem I see with that is the pay... which is (in my opinion) absurdly low.
Which was entirely my point. Of course I would expect them to have a BS in biology and be SCUBA certified...but for $8 an hour? REALLY?!?!!?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Which was entirely my point. Of course I would expect them to have a BS in biology and be SCUBA certified...but for $8 an hour? REALLY?!?!!?
There's the possibility that the economy of Dolphin trainers or customer base pushes the wage down. Which is completely unrelated to skill-set and education.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenWillTheRecessionEnd? View Post
i hate it more on how you are expected to have gained work experience by a certain age for even a minimum-wage, entry-level service job, like someone says:

"If you don't decide to find work until age 20 then of course someone is going to question what you've been doing."

"Most employers view going to school while unemployed a useful use of time, and a good character trait (displays initiative). Now if your answer to what have you been doing with yourself 18 months while unemployed is Ralph Kramden's "Humma, humma, humma...", yes you will inevitably end up in the circular file ASAP."

Why does the past have to matter to employers? why do they have to be so damn nosy about an applicant like that? why do you need a college degree just for a minimum-wage job? Why do they have to assume that if you did not finish what you started in college, you will be like that in the workplace as well?

Another person says "Exactly. The "first time for everything" opportunity comes when you're in your teens, not your twenties"

Stupid, Bull****, it should never be too late for person to get a job and to gain experience, never should be too late, even the lowest of standards type of jobs, employers, lowest paying jobs, minimum-wage or even lower want you to have experience, seriously, it's not like a person is applying to be a surgeon, doctor, FBI Agent, Engineer, etc.
Your attitude speaks for itself, and until you get the experience
the employers want you will be in the same condition, and wondering why ! ! !

Employers want the best experienced workers for there dollar
and there is a large supply of experienced workers all over The US today.

Get the experience or stay unemployed ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment