Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 01:00 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
You are so right. I'm 19-years-old and I am MISERABLE at my PT job in retail. I go to school full-time and I'm trying so hard to balance school and work and a little of life (which seems impossible). I get very short breaks and I'm constantly being mistreated at work.

I knew it was going to be hard finding a job when the economy crashed but didn't think it was THIS hard. It took me almost three years to finally find a job and now that I finally have, I am miserable there. I feel nothing but torment and it's so painful. I blame the greediness of corporate America. If people didn't want more and more, the country probably wouldn't become like this. I'm extremely frightened about my future when I get out of school.
I hate to disappoint you, but it really doesn't get any better as you get older. You might make more money, but your expenses also rise, especially if you decide to have children. Eventually, you learn to forget about money. You just give up and try to live the best life you can that fits within your budget. It's best to find cheap ways to have an enjoyable time like going to the park, working out, going for walks, etc.

And don't blame corporations solely... The average Ameican who continues to shop at Walmart has a stake in the blame. We the consumer seek the best value, and the corporations provide. If a corporation came along and tried to break the trend by making high quality goods made in the U.S.A, you wouldn't buy from them, because most of us couldn't afford them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I hate to disappoint you, but it really doesn't get any better as you get older. You might make more money, but your expenses also rise, especially if you decide to have children. Eventually, you learn to forget about money. You just give up and try to live the best life you can that fits within your budget. It's best to find cheap ways to have an enjoyable time like going to the park, working out, going for walks, etc.

And don't blame corporations solely... The average Ameican who continues to shop at Walmart has a stake in the blame. We the consumer seek the best value, and the corporations provide. If a corporation came along and tried to break the trend by making high quality goods made in the U.S.A, you wouldn't buy from them, because most of us couldn't afford them...
My wife loves San Antonio Shoes, they are of the highest quality and made right here in America. San Antonio, Texas to be exact.

Imagine that, shoes made in America!

San Antonio Shoes - Handcrafted Women's Shoes, Women's Sandals, Handbags, and Men's Shoes

But I know they are not cheap and while my wife (who is worth every cent might I add) won't show me the receipts my guess is they run between $100 and $200 a pair.

Next time she goes I am going too. Last pair of shoes I purchased hurt my feet and no, I did not get them at Wal Mart.

So the American shopper has a choice, travel 50 miles to find an SAS store (we have to travel 120 miles) to spend $150 on a pair of shoes or head off to the local Wal Mart where you can get a Made in China pair for $20?

People should not blame corporate America, they are completely innocent, but should look in the mirror instead.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
You might make more money, but your expenses also rise, especially if you decide to have children.
I think the statistics show that children and family formation are increasingly getting cut out of the loop. It's an interesting trend. In a time of greater material abundance than decades ago, it has actually become way more difficult and costly to finance the raising of kids. To the point where many younger people are simply deciding not to do it at all.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think the statistics show that children and family formation are increasingly getting cut out of the loop. It's an interesting trend. In a time of greater material abundance than decades ago, it has actually become way more difficult and costly to finance the raising of kids. To the point where many younger people are simply deciding not to do it at all.
That differs greatly by education level.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
That differs greatly by education level.
It used to vary more than it does now. Childbearing appears to be falling off at all income and educational levels over the past few years, though not as much as the very top end, perhaps because that rate of childbearing wasn't as high to begin with.

In any case, the percentage of people under 30 with a bachelor's degree or more is still only around 35% or so, which means that in any discussion of trends, most of it will involve people without college degrees.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It used to vary more than it does now. Childbearing appears to be falling off at all income and educational levels over the past few years, though not as much as the very top end, perhaps because that rate of childbearing wasn't as high to begin with.

In any case, the percentage of people under 30 with a bachelor's degree or more is still only around 35% or so, which means that in any discussion of trends, most of it will involve people without college degrees.
I believe it's about 30% but you are right about it being the minority.

You did mention family formation also which is decreasing in lower income brackets while higher income are still marrying at similar levels. Obviously that will create a much bigger class gap if it continues.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
The age of first marriage and child bearing has been increasing in the US, for native born residents, for the last 2 or 3 decades.

Generally, the more education an individual has the later marriage comes and the fewer children are produced.

Live Births and Birth Rates, by Year — Infoplease.com

The 2012 Statistical Abstract: Births, Deaths, Marriages, & Divorces

Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
And don't blame corporations solely... The average Ameican who continues to shop at Walmart has a stake in the blame.
Yes and no.

A couple things are flawed with your point.

In many parts of the country, the only places available for people to shop at are the Walmarts and TArgets (due to unfair competition, monopolization).

Also, it's a catch as well because many Americans, between inflation and stagnant wages, can only afford TO shop at Walmart (and ultimately, they don't have a choice in shopping at the more expensive mom & pop store when they must choose between buying necessities). There was an article recently released a few months ago where Walmart was whining about their shoppers running out of money. The fact that even Walmart notices their customers' pockets are running on low really reveals the real problem.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yes and no.

In many parts of the country, the only places available for people to shop at are the Walmarts and TArgets (due to unfair competition, monopolization).

Also, it's a catch as well because many Americans, between inflation and stagnant wages, can only afford TO shop at Walmart (and ultimately, they don't have a choice in shopping at the more expensive mom & pop store when they must choose between buying necessities). There was an article recently released a few months ago where Walmart was whining about their shoppers running out of money. The fact that even Walmart notices their customers' pockets are running on low really reveals the real problem.
Products can always be bought online. Obviously precise can be an issue.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:14 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yes and no.

Your looking at it from a present standpoint. This problem has been decades in the making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment