Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Now the children are adults and are getting a does of reality. In the long-term we will be better off as a society. The last thing we want is three decades of families having it easy.
What's wrong with that?

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 03-15-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinNation11 View Post
I understand exactly what you mean. I too, am a 20 yr old college student and I have been looking for a job for nearly two years now. I have applied to every reasonable company in my hometown and I have only managed two interviews. I dont understand it. I am a good person, never been arrested< so what is the problem here. It's crazy
Have you tried being arrested? I've been arrested twice and I have a job...

No, seriously, if there's no jobs in your hometown you'll have to look further out.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Online applications are what killed it for us. I refuse to fill out an online application because I never get a call back. If I can go in person and apply for a job I will. Every job I ever got was because I went in person and filled out an application.
That's why I stopped applying for Comcast

Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
I'm a recent college graduate; and, even though I have not found a professional job yet, I haven't given up hope. It's only been 3 months since I've graduated, but I started applying months before that. I worked the whole time I was in school. I have over 5 years of experience in one industry and almost 3 of those as a supervisor. I have a job that pays the bills, but it is not a career.

The problem I have is that a lot of older people are out of work and applying for entry-level jobs. There is very little "you are overqualified." Employers know these experienced people have nowhere else to go and are more than willing to hire someone with 10-20 years of experience for $30k-$40k a year. So, I'm working on a graduate degree and hoping to get a job with the government. There is always law enforcement, which doesn't care so much about experience and will even pay you extra for your degree.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I do feel sorry for much of my generation. They are not all lazy, and many of them have made all the right choices in life to no avail. While I'm pretty conservative on most fronts, I get a little sick of hearing the Fox spin on my generation. There is not much opportunity out there to allow them to work towards success. If they cannot find decent work, many end up in an endless cycle of costly, debt fueled education, training for opportunities that may or may not exist. Like most, I can't offer much in the way of an idea or solution on what can be done.

We probably should be spending more time discussing how this came to be though. I would blame a dismal K-12 educational system, a dismantlement of vocational programs in high school, and a political system that doesn't represent the best interests of the majority of Americans. Also, remember the motto "United we stand, divided we fall"? We as a people do not care for one another, or care to help one another in times of need. We are a very polarized bunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I remember being 18 and the companies treated you okay. You got bonuses, raises, lunch breaks, steady hours. These kids have no idea what that is like.
What worries me is, this young crowd won't come to expect fair treatment from their employers. Why would an employer treat anyone decent when they could hire a horde of hungry workers who will starve for a job, and accept mistreatment as the norm? Things are cyclical, and they tend to go full circle in time. We are heading back into the age of the Robber Barons I'm afraid.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I do feel sorry for much of my generation. They are not all lazy, and many of them have made all the right choices in life to no avail. While I'm pretty conservative on most fronts, I get a little sick of hearing the Fox spin on my generation. There is not much opportunity out there to allow them to work towards success. If they cannot find decent work, many end up in an endless cycle of costly, debt fueled education, training for opportunities that may or may not exist. Like most, I can't offer much in the way of an idea or solution on what can be done.

We probably should be spending more time discussing how this came to be though. I would blame a dismal K-12 educational system, a dismantlement of vocational programs in high school, and a political system that doesn't represent the best interests of the majority of Americans. Also, remember the motto "United we stand, divided we fall"? We as a people do not care for one another, or care to help one another in times of need. We are a very polarized bunch...

What worries me is, this young crowd won't come to expect fair treatment from their employers. Why would an employer treat anyone decent when they could hire a horde of hungry workers who will starve for a job, and accept mistreatment as the norm? Things are cyclical, and they tend to go full circle in time. We are heading back into the age of the Robber Barons I'm afraid.
A down economy along with average students going to college who shouldn't is a bad combination. The kid with all that student loan debt didn't go to a top 100 school. He racked up debt at an average school when he probably had no business being in college in this "new" economy.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
A down economy along with average students going to college who shouldn't is a bad combination. The kid with all that student loan debt didn't go to a top 100 school. He racked up debt at an average school when he probably had no business being in college in this "new" economy.
So what are his other options? Work at Starbucks?

That's the problem now with this new economy and why our middle class is in decline. You are basically left with working low end paying jobs if you don't go to college or you have to go to college with the hopes of making a success of your life. Manufacturing leaving the states and technology is the main problem. Technology is advancing so rapidly that less and less jobs are becoming available for people.

This is becoming a more and more dog eat dog world as time goes one. Average and below average people will probably suffer the most. You now have to be creative, strategic and innovative in how you job search/make a career for yourself. There isn't enough room for everyone in this economy and now only the top people will move on.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Online applications are what killed it for us. I refuse to fill out an online application because I never get a call back. If I can go in person and apply for a job I will. Every job I ever got was because I went in person and filled out an application.
Really? But so many companies recruit online now.

This is surprising considering that every job that I have gotten since 2002 was from applying online or submitting my resume online. I applied to a job just last Weds and the hiring manager emailed me the following morning. Had a phone interview Tuesday and I'm meeting him in-person next week.

I think by not applying online, you'd be cutting out the majority of the hiring market.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post

That's the problem now with this new economy and why our middle class is in decline. You are basically left with working low end paying jobs if you don't go to college or you have to go to college with the hopes of making a success of your life. Manufacturing leaving the states and technology is the main problem. Technology is advancing so rapidly that less and less jobs are becoming available for people.

This is becoming a more and more dog eat dog world as time goes one. Average and below average people will probably suffer the most. You now have to be creative, strategic and innovative in how you job search/make a career for yourself. There isn't enough room for everyone in this economy and now only the top people will move on.
I have to agree with Gatornation. What's wrong with Starbucks? My friend started as a "barista" worked his way up to store manager in about 5-6 years. With bonus was taking home $90K a year. He racked up a nice 401K and has lots of stock options that are still worth something since he got them for like $8 back in the day. He would have made district manager had they not made those cuts a few years back. He has since quit and started his own catering business using his savings and options as start up capital.

It's all about attitude and working hard and having your eyes on the big pitcutre. Like some have said, opportunity is there, you just have to find it, and yes, it is harder than before and you have to be a bit more creative.

In retrospect, part of me wishes I stayed in the food business and not gone to college. I could have made manager, decent salary, benefits and had them pay for school. However, I would have missed the college experience.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post

A trade for many would be fine. The reality if you don't and shouldn't go to college is you have to find a lower wage job and work way up while aquiring skills.

Job availability is as much of a problem as unrealistic lifestyle. You can't be an average worker and expect to live in a 300k house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment