Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I can't believe the lengths I have to go to get the younger kids (most in early to mid twenties) to just get past another day where I work. I have to repeatedly explain the same thing over and over, be careful not to hurt their feelings explaining things, go to great lenghts to explain and show-draw-repeat in almost gradeschool levels how to do what most know they did just days or hours ago. I have to stay ahead of them and keep them working or they just wander the shop. Most will not grab a broom and clean their area,pick up tools, or ask if there is anything they can be doing, they'd rather wander,visit and joke around. And the things you have to document before firing them,my gosh!
Not to be too hard sounding here. I have been teaching people about my area of the oilfield and specialized welding for over 24 years, so I do know some about it. I got out of the patch for almost 16 years and got talked and moneyed back into it. I got back into it a couple of years ago.
I have had 200 to 250 people go on to great careers and lifestyle in the patch all over the world. Maybe less than 20 were just not teachable in this field or couldn't-wouldn't commit to the field. But I never had this much trouble. I figure I got three to four more years and all our things are paid off and I have enough to start another business. But this is my last shot at this for sure. But most old oilfield have heard that one.Ha,ha.
Perhaps you would enjoy my thread about following directions. It seems to be a more prevalent issue regarding the younger folks, as I find many that are simply not teachable. I would love to offer the kind of pay that the college grads would be attracted to, but these days, it's very hard to get the boss to consider even $13/hr to start. It's not that the boss is greedy, it's the shops down the street that want to pay $10/hr, and the vast supply of cheap illegal labor around these parts. At any rate, I think part of the problem I face is that the wage just doesn't attract the brains required anymore. I don't much blame them. I started in 2004 at $14/hr while in high school. 2 raises a year, seemed like a great union job... Those days are long gone I'm afraid. Many good, honest paying jobs have either left the states, or been turned into slave wage jobs. The best one can hope for it to find any employer who is at least kind, and is willing to pass on some knowledge, which can lead to better paychecks down the road.

For those who are bitter about it... Stop. No one is going to listen, because we've all been effected on way or another. Getting laid off is a heartbreaking experience. Leaving everything you know and love behind in search for work is no picnic. Job security is scarce for many, and I can't imagine being tied down to a home that's worth half of what it was 10 years ago. How about all those folks who had to put off retirement due to the economy? Everyone has their stories. For you kids stuck in your parents house... I would consider you lucky. It's no picnic out in the real world, so enjoy it while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Most margins are far from ridiculous. I would not want corp profits down, as our 401ks, that retirement vehicle, would be worth less than putting cash under a mattress.

So, you are laboring under the assumption that stock prices are tied to corporate profits........

Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Perhaps you would enjoy my thread about following directions. It seems to be a more prevalent issue regarding the younger folks, as I find many that are simply not teachable. I would love to offer the kind of pay that the college grads would be attracted to, but these days, it's very hard to get the boss to consider even $13/hr to start. It's not that the boss is greedy, it's the shops down the street that want to pay $10/hr, and the vast supply of cheap illegal labor around these parts. At any rate, I think part of the problem I face is that the wage just doesn't attract the brains required anymore. I don't much blame them. I started in 2004 at $14/hr while in high school. 2 raises a year, seemed like a great union job... Those days are long gone I'm afraid. Many good, honest paying jobs have either left the states, or been turned into slave wage jobs. The best one can hope for it to find any employer who is at least kind, and is willing to pass on some knowledge, which can lead to better paychecks down the road.

For those who are bitter about it... Stop. No one is going to listen, because we've all been effected on way or another. Getting laid off is a heartbreaking experience. Leaving everything you know and love behind in search for work is no picnic. Job security is scarce for many, and I can't imagine being tied down to a home that's worth half of what it was 10 years ago. How about all those folks who had to put off retirement due to the economy? Everyone has their stories. For you kids stuck in your parents house... I would consider you lucky. It's no picnic out in the real world, so enjoy it while you can.
Sorry, but being stuck at the parents house is no picnic either. I would KILL to be in the world right now, making a living and supporting myself. I actually have my parents pressuring me to marry someone I don't love just so they won't have me there anymore. I have actually been told that I need to find a job or a man because it is too much of a burden on my parents for me to live there. My parents want me married to someone I don't love or working and making enough money to support myself.

I hate that kind of pressure. I mean yeah I would like to get married and have a couple kids some day, but I want this person I marry to be someone who is kind and pleasant to be around. I don't want to marry someone just because I have no place to live.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Sorry, but being stuck at the parents house is no picnic either. I would KILL to be in the world right now, making a living and supporting myself. I actually have my parents pressuring me to marry someone I don't love just so they won't have me there anymore. I have actually been told that I need to find a job or a man because it is too much of a burden on my parents for me to live there. My parents want me married to someone I don't love or working and making enough money to support myself.

I hate that kind of pressure. I mean yeah I would like to get married and have a couple kids some day, but I want this person I marry to be someone who is kind and pleasant to be around. I don't want to marry someone just because I have no place to live.
What have you done to better your disposition? Have you looked at different careers? Have you considered looking for work out of your state? Are there any technical or college programs that you think could lead to more optimal prospects of employment?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Are there any technical or college programs that you think could lead to more optimal prospects of employment?

The solution is not to dump more money in to your education hoping that you roll the right dice eventually.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The solution is not to dump more money in to your education hoping that you roll the right dice eventually.
BecAuse that's never worked....

Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
BecAuse that's never worked....
What it HAS done is put Americans over 1 trillion in debt, and has pushed its tentacles through every part of this country, including:

- Destroying disposable income
- Delaying or completely evaporating home ownership
- The leading cause of huge swaths of boomerang kids
- Dragging down of wages for work that actually requires training or education
- Increasing of requirements across the board. We now have assistant manager jobs at BK requiring a bachelors degree.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
So, you are laboring under the assumption that stock prices are tied to corporate profits........
They are tied to the optimism of analysts - which comes from corps doing the types of things to maximize long-term profits. Lose their belief in your executive team, and the stock will tank. Most trade at relatively narrow P-E ranges.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
What have you done to better your disposition? Have you looked at different careers? Have you considered looking for work out of your state? Are there any technical or college programs that you think could lead to more optimal prospects of employment?
Have enough student loan debt. The last degree didn't help so I don't know why another one would help. I am looking out of state and out of the country. I am applying the Ukraine and Honduras right now. Oh, I am trying to teach myself Spanish. I am actually having some success with that, but Spanish doesn't seem to be a marketable skill in this area. I am not fully fluent, but I know a lot more Spanish than most people.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Have enough student loan debt. The last degree didn't help so I don't know why another one would help. I am looking out of state and out of the country. I am applying the Ukraine and Honduras right now. Oh, I am trying to teach myself Spanish. I am actually having some success with that, but Spanish doesn't seem to be a marketable skill in this area. I am not fully fluent, but I know a lot more Spanish than most people.

Excellent decision in not dumping more money after bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment