Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I have to agree with Gatornation. What's wrong with Starbucks? My friend started as a "barista" worked his way up to store manager in about 5-6 years. With bonus was taking home $90K a year. He racked up a nice 401K and has lots of stock options that are still worth something since he got them for like $8 back in the day. He would have made district manager had they not made those cuts a few years back. He has since quit and started his own catering business using his savings and options as start up capital.

It's all about attitude and working hard and having your eyes on the big pitcutre. Like some have said, opportunity is there, you just have to find it, and yes, it is harder than before and you have to be a bit more creative.

In retrospect, part of me wishes I stayed in the food business and not gone to college. I could have made manager, decent salary, benefits and had them pay for school. However, I would have missed the college experience.
You highlight part of the problem. Someone thinking they are too good to work at Starbucks and work their way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times
Quote:

In retrospect, part of me wishes I stayed in the food business and not gone to college. I could have made manager, decent salary, benefits and had them pay for school. However, I would have missed the college experience.
I have a brother in law in food service (manager) of a chain restaurant. He has never made much money despite being in this industry for years at MAJOR restaurants.

Despite working like a dog for all these firms, they have not paid him very well. He's missed family gatherings, major life events, and holidays all for the hope of them rewarding him.

At his current job, they told him he will NEVER see a raise.

So, if you want to go into food service, do a catering business or work for your own restaurant. Don't expect the multimillion dollar chain to reward you. Even at the managerial level, they have plenty of fodder to replace you if you don't scramble.

I know this is a killer profession (food service) if you want a family life. I work my own hours and do parties as a chef/pastry chef. providing desserts. I will NOT work for someone else again because it is too demanding.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You highlight part of the problem. Someone thinking they are too good to work at Starbucks and work their way up.
Yes but the problem is Starbucks requires a degree to move into higher up positions....

I worked at a gym in college, and I could of spent 10 years there working very hard, but I would never make it to a management position if I never finished college? Why because you need a degree.

I don't think the problem is that people are ashamed to work at Starbucks, it's just the simple fact that they won't get very far working there without a degree. Look at how many jobs out there in management role require a degree. Almost all of them. I don't think anyone is interested in being a barista for the rest of their life or could make a living. Without a degree you can only move so far before the company requires you to get a degree. My exstepmother has been working for the city of Chicag for 15 years, does great work, yet they refuse to give her a promotion or raise. Why is this? Because she has no college degree. If she did, they told her she would be promoted.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Yes but the problem is Starbucks requires a degree to move into higher up positions....

I worked at a gym in college, and I could of spent 10 years there working very hard, but I would never make it to a management position if I never finished college? Why because you need a degree.

I don't think the problem is that people are ashamed to work at Starbucks, it's just the simple fact that they won't get very far working there without a degree. Look at how many jobs out there in management role require a degree. Almost all of them. I don't think anyone is interested in being a barista for the rest of their life or could make a living. Without a degree you can only move so far before the company requires you to get a degree. My exstepmother has been working for the city of Chicag for 15 years, does great work, yet they refuse to give her a promotion or raise. Why is this? Because she has no college degree. If she did, they told her she would be promoted.
Yes, I agree with you. But what's wrong with working as a manager in training and getting your degree part time. At least you know that once you graduate you can move up in your job. Starbucks pays you for school too, it might not be much but something. It's not the same as getting a degree in English or Philosophy, graduating with $100K in debt and then not being able to even get an office job.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I have a brother in law in food service (manager) of a chain restaurant. He has never made much money despite being in this industry for years at MAJOR restaurants.

Despite working like a dog for all these firms, they have not paid him very well. He's missed family gatherings, major life events, and holidays all for the hope of them rewarding him.

At his current job, they told him he will NEVER see a raise.

So, if you want to go into food service, do a catering business or work for your own restaurant. Don't expect the multimillion dollar chain to reward you. Even at the managerial level, they have plenty of fodder to replace you if you don't scramble.

I know this is a killer profession (food service) if you want a family life. I work my own hours and do parties as a chef/pastry chef. providing desserts. I will NOT work for someone else again because it is too demanding.
I agree with you in part. Not all companies are the same. At the restaurant chain where I sarted (I only served in the summers to pay for college) they treated managers like crap. Our GM went to another chain and it's a whole of a lot better. He gets vacation, weekends, holidays off etc. My Starbucks friend got vacation (5 weeks in his last year) and paid holidays. He was the store manager and was required to close once a week and work two Saturdays a month. Outside of that, he worked 7am-3/4pm, closed one night a week and worked 7-noon some Saturdays. It wasn't bad. Again, not all companies are the same.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree with you. But what's wrong with working as a manager in training and getting your degree part time. At least you know that once you graduate you can move up in your job. Starbucks pays you for school too, it might not be much but something. It's not the same as getting a degree in English or Philosophy, graduating with $100K in debt and then not being able to even get an office job.
I agree. My comment was more directed towards another comment that said average people shouldn't go to college.

The problem is that all students now want to live that college lifestyle. The problem is that it costs way too much $$$ now. Again, in a sense I see this as a positive in some sick way. It will teach people of this generation to be much more financially responsible and really what it means to work hard to make a living.

We are Americans are SUPER SPOILED and have this sense of entitlement. And it is just not millenials, it the baby boomers too and everything in between. People become unemployed and the EXPECT that they should be hired within months. Why should we? We have been so spoiled in how rich our country is that we have been out of touch with how much of the rest of the world lives. If you take a look at Latin America, Asia, Africa and parts of Europe, they have been in similar economic situation (while different) for decades and yet they manage.

Perhaps this is why they are closer linked to their families than Americans. In the U.S. you rely on yourself, but in places like Latin America you rely more on family and friends. With so many grads living back at home we might be going this way. I myself moved home because when I graduated I couldn't live on my own. Now I am fully employed and everything but haven't left because now my mother needs help as she is unemployed. It's difficult out there, but i n hindsight we should be grateful that we had so good for so long.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,665 times
The options are not their in many cases. Yes we have too many people go to college. But in the past things were different. Back in the day a kid could go to work for the city state a plant and make a living wage with benefits. A guy in my family worked in a major supermarket chain. He wanted to move into management but had no degree. No degree no job in management. The starting pay was 25k a year. It is becoming super common for even for low paying jobs. No degree no job in many cases. My Dad did the hiring for a plant some years back. He only hired college grads I am talking floor help not management here. Pay was like 11 bucks an hour it was not high end work. In a time of fewer and fewer living wage jobs. People feel college might give them a leg up in getting one of those jobs. The trades are no longer what they were at one time. Their unions are weaker making it harder to get business or people to pay those higher wages. The use of non union workers to undercut the wages. Too many guys on the books so younger guys may not work much at all. Less work overall in many of the trades. So you may go may months without working at all. Making it hard to pay your bills. I have many friends and family in many different states. In many different trades. Most of the programs to train these people are gone as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
The options are not their in many cases. Yes we have too many people go to college. But in the past things were different. Back in the day a kid could go to work for the city state a plant and make a living wage with benefits. A guy in my family worked in a major supermarket chain. He wanted to move into management but had no degree. No degree no job in management. The starting pay was 25k a year. It is becoming super common for even for low paying jobs. No degree no job in many cases. My Dad did the hiring for a plant some years back. He only hired college grads I am talking floor help not management here. Pay was like 11 bucks an hour it was not high end work. In a time of fewer and fewer living wage jobs. People feel college might give them a leg up in getting one of those jobs. The trades are no longer what they were at one time. Their unions are weaker making it harder to get business or people to pay those higher wages. The use of non union workers to undercut the wages. Too many guys on the books so younger guys may not work much at all. Less work overall in many of the trades. So you may go may months without working at all. Making it hard to pay your bills. I have many friends and family in many different states. In many different trades. Most of the programs to train these people are gone as well.
This was the point I was trying to make. Yes you can opt out for not getting a college degree, however, it is going to be a much harder life. The jobs you can get without a degree are usually low paying. This isn't like 40 years ago where there were a lot of options. Many places require a degree now. So your options are go to school, get a degree and have a leg up in making a good life for yourself or not go to college and have no debt but a much more difficult time to making it to be successful. Neither one is better than other, but with the way COL is going up, I think it makes sense to opt for a college degree.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
This economy should motivate people to become self-employed. If you have marketable skills, use them to open your own business. I like Obama's initiative to offer relief to college grads with debt because with this economy in terrible shape, how can you pay back student loans with NO JOB! That's stupid. I'd rather go through the rough times now than later. I have a BA & MBA and even though I have a great job, I'm self-employed because I never know when I will or could lose my job. Nothing worse than to have one income source.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
This economy should motivate people to become self-employed. If you have marketable skills, use them to open your own business. I like Obama's initiative to offer relief to college grads with debt because with this economy in terrible shape, how can you pay back student loans with NO JOB! That's stupid. I'd rather go through the rough times now than later. I have a BA & MBA and even though I have a great job, I'm self-employed because I never know when I will or could lose my job. Nothing worse than to have one income source.
Please stop giving unemployed people this advice. I'm so sick of hearing it since it makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment