U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 PM

936 posts, read 2,538,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The OP's statement about the economy must not be so bad because OP has seen lines of people buying electronic doo-dads- reminds me of the first time I was old enough to vote. I was in a college area of Pittsburgh and voted for McGovern ('ouch'). One roommate said he was sure that there was some sort of conspiracy or fraud because "Everyone I know voted for McGovern."
He does have a point. Even in the early - mid 1990s there wasn't this extreme consumerism & spending we are seeing today. I mean, it seems like everyone has the newest smartphone/IPAD & LAPTOP (when they are released) and of course the latest designer clothing. Apparel stores are having their best year in the last 20 and selling at full price without any discounts or promotions

Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM

879 posts, read 387,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post

Just because someone is employed doesn't mean they have so much disposable income to buy what they want (meaning they are likely buying on credit)

Or in my case where you are single with no kids, no debt other than a $5k car note, no child support and take home 4x your monthly expenses you can have a fair amount of disposable income... I have one credit card with a $0 balance. Paying with cash makes the most sense to me.

Anyway, I don't have any real use for the new iPad or any other overpriced Apple product because my laptop serves my needs and my Android phone gets the job done but I am a PS3 owner with a brother who has an Xbox 360. He's convinced me to take the plunge and get one, so I am getting the Xbox 360 Limited Edition Kinect Star Wars Bundle for Xbox 360 | GameStop when it is released on April 3rd.

Use the Force!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM

10,452 posts, read 5,700,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I still see people buying IPADS, and getting on the train and bus going and coming home from work so I'm not buying that it's a weak economy.
Ever heard of saving up? Or a good investment? My Apple computer makes school and work possible, so it's worth the dent in my finances, till I can work and pay it off.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Or in my case where you are single with no kids, no debt other than a $5k car note, no child support and take home 4x your monthly expenses you can have a fair amount of disposable income... I have one credit card with a $0 balance. Paying with cash makes the most sense to me.

Anyway, I don't have any real use for the new iPad or any other overpriced Apple product because my laptop serves my needs and my Android phone gets the job done but I am a PS3 owner with a brother who has an Xbox 360. He's convinced me to take the plunge and get one, so I am getting the Xbox 360 Limited Edition Kinect Star Wars Bundle for Xbox 360 | GameStop when it is released on April 3rd.

Use the Force!
You take home '4 times' your monthly expenses & live in the Pac NW? I live about 10 miles north of Boston recently got a good job offer of just under 100K, single and no kids either (I am 36 with no wife, child or even pet to support) and my car note (its only a 2008 Honda Civic with over 36,000 miles on it) has around $4,500 left on it and still I have nothing left at the end of the month to save.. I try not to use credit cards but things come up.. I also never go out anywhere because I can't afford to.. People think that because I rent a two bedroom apartment on my own I am somehow able to party and have people over all the time. --- somehow many people my age think life is just one big party but eventually you grow up and don't have that parental support and see the dangers of carrying a credit card balance -- for that I am not considered 'cool' I guess.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM

14,499 posts, read 15,989,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then you don't know anything about the economy or don't understand it. You're not working are you? Have you been paying attention to what has happened to manufacturing in PA over the last couple decades? How hard was it becoming to place your clients in jobs prior to your most recent layoff?

Are you suggesting that because some people are buying new phones that happy days are here again? Keep in mind that while unemployment is high that the vast majority of people are working.

What classes did you take to get your degree?
well said. OP needs to read up on Microeconomics 101, apparently.

only in America do kids assume a new I- pad or cell means "the economy is cranking".

Its been awhile since I taught undergrad. business.
Today they now still grant degrees in sociology and "Communications" which requires a C- average, at most.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

35,128 posts, read 24,377,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

only in America do kids assume a new I- pad or cell means "the economy is cranking".

Today they now still grant degrees in sociology and "Communications" which requires a C- average, at most.
Well why do I always see tons and tons of people getting off the train and bus in the evening? Where are they coming from? The mall parking lot was filled up today on a sunday and the diner I was in was filled up.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Again, its mostly on credit or mommy & daddy are paying.. I always wonder how all these fresh faced college kids can afford to hang out & shop on Newbury Street in Boston and are never without the latest Macbook Pro. I don't think you can even be seen in Starbucks with a Macbook that is more than a year out of date or with the original IPAD.
I have to admit - I ordered the IPAD 2 with the smartcover when it came out but somehow lost interest and never even opened the shipping box. I am scared I may do the same with the Ipad 3 which I also ordered (the 4G top model)...

I know what you mean about these kids values but many just follow the materialistic & narcissistic lifestyle of the parents as well as only listen to whatever MTV & the characters on the newest reality TV show

Old 03-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well why do I always see tons and tons of people getting off the train and bus in the evening? Where are they coming from? The mall parking lot was filled up today on a sunday and the diner I was in was filled up.
I am also surprised how busy the malls are on weeknights & it was similar when I was in CT a few weeks ago.. On a Monday night a few weeks ago, it seemed as busy as the Monday before Christmas

Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM

879 posts, read 387,488 times
Quote:
You take home '4 times' your monthly expenses & live in the Pac NW? I live about 10 miles north of Boston recently got a good job offer of just under 100K, single and no kids either (I am 36 with no wife, child or even pet to support) and my car note (its only a 2008 Honda Civic with over 36,000 miles on it) has around $4,500 left on it and still I have nothing left at the end of the month to save.. I try not to use credit cards but things come up.. I also never go out anywhere because I can't afford to.. People think that because I rent a two bedroom apartment on my own I am somehow able to party and have people over all the time. --- somehow many people my age think life is just one big party but eventually you grow up and don't have that parental support and see the dangers of carrying a credit card balance -- for that I am not considered 'cool' I guess.
Yes, I live about 20 miles south of Seattle... take home pay with OT is about $60k. I have a one bedroom studio apt for $600 with about $750 in additional expenses a month... that would be car note, insurance, utilities, cell phone and food. ($1350 x 12 months x 4 = $64k, so yeah, my 4x estimate is pretty close.)

I never said I was living in a mansion on the coast... I was unemployed for 14 months, moved cross country for this job, and am basically "starting over" out here, but I am in a great position with little debt and the ability to save.

Do I see myself buying a house? Not really, the housing market is insane out here, but I have no problems renting either.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,677,548 times
Quote:
He does have a point. Even in the early - mid 1990s there wasn't this extreme consumerism & spending we are seeing today. I mean, it seems like everyone has the newest smartphone/IPAD & LAPTOP (when they are released) and of course the latest designer clothing. Apparel stores are having their best year in the last 20 and selling at full price without any discounts or promotions
And on the other hand a few weeks ago there was a riot at a mall in Orlando, FL over $200 sneakers.

The same people who were rioting on Thursday night(the store opened at 10pm for this new sneaker) were back there on Friday morning.

So they don't work nights, they don't work during the day, yet they can spend over $200 on sneakers.

We have a "I want it, and I want it now" mentality in this country, especially among younger people.

You can't base the economy on a couple of events. Looking at the people being interivewed on the news about the Orlando riot, you had to wonder where they came up with more than $200 for sneakers.

There are people who will go into debt just to have the latest device or fashion item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment