Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 AM

134 posts, read 366,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
But you can control how you react to it. Some self-destruct, Some fall into a corner, And Others get fighting mad and come out swinging.

Strive to be the latter. Life is for living.
*DISCLAIMER* - City-Data and the above poster do(es) not condone excessive consumption of alcohol or other drugs to achieve the "desired result"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM

841 posts, read 1,912,656 times
The way I figure it, this is life, now. Count your blessings. We all have them.

Maybe we don't have fancy cars, or gourmet meals, or all the things people think they need to be happy.

But if you have life, you are blessed. Many people in wheelchairs would give their life savings to walk.

Right now someone would LOVE to trade their problems for yours.

If you have children and they drive you nuts, remember all the childless couples who yearn for a baby.

If your spouse or family are annoying remember all the lonely or widowed people who wish they had a few minutes with someone who loves them.

What I would love to see on this forum is people being a little kinder. Yeah, there are some clueless clowns who seem like they live in the mind of a 10 year old.

And there are few bullies. Doesn't take long to spot them.

But the rest of us can offer a little help. I've gotten some good advice here.

Thanks for that.

I hope to give some, too.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,072,564 times
What I realized before quitting my job is that all the worst case scenarios played out in my head. Then I thought of the worst case scenarios if I stayed. They all pertained to my health. I would have been fired and had poor health and where would have I been at that point? Unable to work after that?
I said eff it and got a $10/hr temp job for about 2 months and still made ends meet. I made sure to focus my life on the truly important things instead of filling my house with stuff or spending money friviously. About 2 months after quitting, I am starting a new job with tuition reimbursement so I can start on my Masters. I would have not found that opportunity if I was so beat down from my previous job.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,228,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I woke up this morning and started looking at all of these depressing threads and thought to myself "so what." Nobody makes it out of this life alive. We are all worm food in the end.

If you don't make the money you want, don't have the job you want, so what. Make the most of what you have (whatever that may be) and try to be happy. Life is too short to be pessimistic and miserable all the time.

Go outside and get some fresh air, take long walks, etc.
There is perspective, and there is la-la land. This ^^^ is la-la land.

To test my theory, repeat the contents of the above post to someone who is about to lose a home, who can't feed their children, who has been out of work for a year, or who has cancer and no health insurance. If it sounds preposterously cavalier, it's la-la land.

When you're on a message board as large as City-Data, there will be other members in those situations, so my advice is to remember your audience before posting something so all-inclusively vapid.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,074,061 times
I think people that have not had a lot of bad things happen to them tend to not handle things as well as others that may not have lived such a charmed life. Some of us have lost children, homes, vehicles, everything. Some of us have been left with only the clothes on our backs and no place to lay our heads. We tend to be the survivors. We may be temporary laid low but it never lasts. We also tend to not take other folks' good news and perspectives as a slap in the face. We tend to not be bitter, jealous and perpetually angry. We play well with others and see these other folks coming a mile away with their self-pity and whiny attitudes.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,818,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I woke up this morning and started looking at all of these depressing threads and thought to myself "so what." Nobody makes it out of this life alive. We are all worm food in the end.

If you don't make the money you want, don't have the job you want, so what. Make the most of what you have (whatever that may be) and try to be happy. Life is too short to be pessimistic and miserable all the time.

Go outside and get some fresh air, take long walks, etc.
Which is why I was shocked when I was criticized for starting a thread and saying the economy is not weak-lol

Old 03-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think people that have not had a lot of bad things happen to them tend to not handle things as well as others that may not have lived such a charmed life. Some of us have lost children, homes, vehicles, everything. Some of us have been left with only the clothes on our backs and no place to lay our heads. We tend to be the survivors. We may be temporary laid low but it never lasts. We also tend to not take other folks' good news and perspectives as a slap in the face. We tend to not be bitter, jealous and perpetually angry. We play well with others and see these other folks coming a mile away with their self-pity and whiny attitudes.

We also remember where we came from and try to be sensitive to others who might still be there by being encouraging without sounding like an air-headed cheerleader capable of nothing more insightful than platitudes.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,818,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
There is perspective, and there is la-la land. This ^^^ is la-la land.

To test my theory, repeat the contents of the above post to someone who is about to lose a home, who can't feed their children, who has been out of work for a year, or who has cancer and no health insurance. If it sounds preposterously cavalier, it's la-la land.

When you're on a message board as large as City-Data, there will be other members in those situations, so my advice is to remember your audience before posting something so all-inclusively vapid.
I think the poster means in regards to employment not health. Of course you can't do what he is saying if you have cancer or some other serious health issue.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM

29,652 posts, read 24,678,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've often been called a survivor. Life sucked early on, but I managed ok. Now a lot of the successful people I knew, who perhaps did not have to work quite as hard as others for success, are not having such an easy time. Many can not be called "survivors". The difference is, I have compassion for those going through difficult times. Many people got caught up in their own success, and had no sympathy for those who were struggling. What disturbs me about my own country is how my own people care so little about their own countrymen. The middle class in this country is in a complete decline, because divided, we fall.

But what can I do... The more you think about this kind of stuff, the more you realize, it's best to let the chips fall where they may.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think the poster means in regards to employment not health. Of course you can't do what he is saying if you have cancer or some other serious health issue.
I think the poster didn't consider his or her audience before posting.

Many people with cancer can still work. Being diagnosed often has nothing to do with how you feel at the moment, as anyone with breast cancer, cervical cancer, or thyroid cancer can tell you. The point is that "not making the money you want" and "not having the job you want" can mean that you have no way or insurance to pay for your medical care--care that you may very well die without.

"But hey, we all die someday!"

I know it's Sunday, but let's not give deep thought a day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment