U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,221,260 times

Advertisements

If you're worried about an employer or potential employer asking for your Facebook or Twitter password, you might just want to move to Maryland. The state's General Assembly has become the first to pass a bill to keep social media passwords safe from employers.
Just a few weeks ago national attention was put on the issue of job applicants and employees being asked for their Facebook passwords so that companies could ensure the individuals had appropriate social media identities.
In response, New York Sen. Charles Schumer and Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate if the practice violates federal laws. But Maryland already had legislation in the works. And yesterday it passed the House as Bill 433. The full text of the bill can be found here.
"In a nutshell, it protects employees and employers. It prohibits employees from having to provide access to their digital content or social media account information," Bradley Shear, a Maryland social media lawyer who worked to get the bill passed, said.
The bill also protects employers. "It's a pro-business bill; it provides employers with a shield against lawsuits," Shear added.
Maryland State Sen. Ronald Young was instrumental in pushing the legislation. Young couldn't be reached for comment, but he told ABC News earlier this monththat he felt that such social media password practices were an "infringement on constitutional rights." Facebook's privacy officer Erin Egan has called such password requests wrong.
Wrong and illegal is exactly what it will be in Maryland as soon as the bill is signed by Gov. Martin O'Mailey.
And other states might not be far behind: Minnesota and Illinois have also drafted legislation based on Maryland's bills and Washington State, Massachusetts, and New Jersey lawmakers have announced their intentions to introduce similar legislation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM

50,331 posts, read 47,680,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's a double-edge sword. Unions would have been more welcomed if they didn't start making outrageous demands and playing dictatorship while taking down American companies. Both parties have to play fair otherwise it doesn't work. It's better without them in their current form.
we shall see. as the new workers attempt to assert their "rights" we shall see how far they get.
what u said about union exploitation is however true. but now that u got rid of that good for nothing sheep dog, what will u do about the wolves.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,022,005 times
So, here's the thing. If the company you're interviewing for has any type of decent background check, they could most certainly get into your Facebook account without any "formal" permission because you already signed off on a "background" check. I think it's quite nervy to ask someone for their password, and I would have probably walked out of the interview as well. Honestly, I wish more of my FB friends had to keep their walls cleaned up for prying eyes, some of the crap they post, ugh. TMI.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM

1,765 posts, read 960,609 times
This is good news...It was only a matter of time...however, this little "blurb" "The bill also protects employers. "It's a pro-business bill; it provides employers with a shield against lawsuits," Shear added." concerns me, what exactly does this mean??? Shield against lawsuits for what?? asking for a password, accessing employees social media accounts, spying on employees via social media...this "pro-business" portion of the bill sounds pretty sketchy...If this bill protects the businesses more than the employees rights well than as always...the one with the most money has the most power and usually wins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If you're worried about an employer or potential employer asking for your Facebook or Twitter password, you might just want to move to Maryland. The state's General Assembly has become the first to pass a bill to keep social media passwords safe from employers.
Just a few weeks ago national attention was put on the issue of job applicants and employees being asked for their Facebook passwords so that companies could ensure the individuals had appropriate social media identities.
In response, New York Sen. Charles Schumer and Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate if the practice violates federal laws. But Maryland already had legislation in the works. And yesterday it passed the House as Bill 433. The full text of the bill can be found here.
"In a nutshell, it protects employees and employers. It prohibits employees from having to provide access to their digital content or social media account information," Bradley Shear, a Maryland social media lawyer who worked to get the bill passed, said.
The bill also protects employers. "It's a pro-business bill; it provides employers with a shield against lawsuits," Shear added.
Maryland State Sen. Ronald Young was instrumental in pushing the legislation. Young couldn't be reached for comment, but he told ABC News earlier this monththat he felt that such social media password practices were an "infringement on constitutional rights." Facebook's privacy officer Erin Egan has called such password requests wrong.
Wrong and illegal is exactly what it will be in Maryland as soon as the bill is signed by Gov. Martin O'Mailey.
And other states might not be far behind: Minnesota and Illinois have also drafted legislation based on Maryland's bills and Washington State, Massachusetts, and New Jersey lawmakers have announced their intentions to introduce similar legislation.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM

1,461 posts, read 943,764 times
Say I deleted my FB account. I wonder if they would believe me if I told them I didn't have one. I locked my account very tightly and that it would be hard to find me. All my photos, posts, info, interests, etc. won't show. If you were lucky to find me, you could only see my name and photo. I lock my stuff tight because anyone from anywhere can snoop around on your profile. Even some pervert from China can snoop around your stuff, and maybe send a friend request. Still, I don't post pics of myself half naked or getting drunk and at wild parties. Your social media profiles should be none of their concerns. The only thing that matters is that you are able to do the job, and have the right qualifications for it.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:12 PM

140 posts, read 178,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Maryland rocks. This State is very pro-consumer, having already banned the sale of medical debt and pre-employment credit checks.

Excellent!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 PM

21,198 posts, read 16,836,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we shall see. as the new workers attempt to assert their "rights" we shall see how far they get.
what u said about union exploitation is however true. but now that u got rid of that good for nothing sheep dog, what will u do about the wolves.
Have faith in labor laws. Unions came around prior to labor laws to help workers with horrible working conditions -- beyond imaginable for the most of us. I'm not saying it's perfect, but the need for unions are much less now.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 PM

7,161 posts, read 5,447,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Say I deleted my FB account. I wonder if they would believe me if I told them I didn't have one. I locked my account very tightly and that it would be hard to find me. All my photos, posts, info, interests, etc. won't show. If you were lucky to find me, you could only see my name and photo. I lock my stuff tight because anyone from anywhere can snoop around on your profile. Even some pervert from China can snoop around your stuff, and maybe send a friend request. Still, I don't post pics of myself half naked or getting drunk and at wild parties. Your social media profiles should be none of their concerns. The only thing that matters is that you are able to do the job, and have the right qualifications for it.

Exactly. this is still America, And by damn we have rights to our personal lives.

Frankly, They will back off when people give them the passwords actually:

Seven letters-Use your imagination what they spell.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 PM

21,198 posts, read 16,836,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
[/b]

Exactly. this is still America, And by damn we have rights to our personal lives.

Frankly, They will back off when people give them the passwords actually:

Seven letters-Use your imagination what they spell.
We certainly do have a right to our personal lives. And we should fight long and hard to keep it that way.

We don't have a right to be hired, however.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 943,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Good point. Also on the flip side: Read int the paper today that employers are using social media (They mentioned FB and twitter) To get general insight into candidates in general by seeing the public posts and such. What about folks that have NO social media like FB, Linkedin or twitter?

Or C-D?
Now they'll ask them passwords to their email acount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment