Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM

101 posts, read 193,821 times

Advertisements

I have a CIS degree with certifications using memorization [testking], but no relevant work experience. Many employers ask for in-house work experience that I lack. I don't have any qualified recommendations for graduate school, should I try getting a MS degree in CS anyway or continue to do projects on my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 14,481 times
I'd try to get some relevant work experience, even if you have to volunteer somewhere.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM

84 posts, read 180,750 times
You will not see ROI on getting a masters degree vs gaining real world experience. Suggest volunteering your IT skills at local businesses to help your experience level and build your resume.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM

554 posts, read 977,224 times
I am in IT, I have not seen any real advantage of a masters degree in the IT field. Now if you want to go into management then it may help but for technical IT jobs, you should be fine with a BS and some job experience. I am Northern VA based which is one of (if not the) highest educated places in the US. I see people with Master's all the time sitting in cube farms making 50-60k less than I do.

Last edited by sportsterjohn; 03-06-2012 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Masters degrees are a horrible idea for 95% or people with bachelor's degrees right bowl esp people with no job. DONT DO IT! You will thank me later.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger865 View Post
You will not see ROI on getting a masters degree vs gaining real world experience. Suggest volunteering your IT skills at local businesses to help your experience level and build your resume.
I could not disagree with you more. While education short term will not make up for lack of experience, an MBA type degree does provide you with the foundation needed for future success. It provides you the business acumen needed to overcome the glass ceiling that plagues many engineers. I would suggest the original poster continues working while attending an evening MBA program. This will be the best decision they ever make in their long-term career plan.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,580 times
not many tech jobs out there period, at least where im at. got two guys in my dept with masters doing tech support.

if you go back for a masters i would get it in a better industry. too many people with IT degrees/experience floating around competing for the few positions that aren't going to indians.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eling View Post
I have a CIS degree with certifications using memorization [testking], but no relevant work experience. Many employers ask for in-house work experience that I lack. I don't have any qualified recommendations for graduate school, should I try getting a MS degree in CS anyway or continue to do projects on my own?
your own statement pretty much answers your question. Employers at this point is looking for experience - which you don't have. Getting a graduate degree isn't going to change that fact. So investing money (most of which you probably don't have) in this may not pay off in the short run.

My suggestion - as others have said, find experience however you can. Find opportunities to work for little money if necessary, but suck up as much knowledge as you can. And continue to look for more opportunities. Eventually - you'll have enough experience and hopefully find a place that will also pay for your graduate degree.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
No experience at all?

More debt?

How much does it cost?

Sounds like a brilliant idea... go into more debt 20k to 50k to compete with H1B workers for an entry level IT job?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
not many tech jobs out there period, at least where im at. got two guys in my dept with masters doing tech support.

if you go back for a masters i would get it in a better industry. too many people with IT degrees/experience floating around competing for the few positions that aren't going to indians.
THIS.

Seems like every I.T. department around here is turning into a Calcutta sweatshop. At my workplace they're so brazen that they don't even speak English at work anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment