Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,344 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am currently doing BS in Electronics in India(About to finish) then I have got job offers from CISCO, Cadence, Texas Instruments and a good startup company, all in software field with good packages but I want to do MS in CS down the line.

I started my way into Electronics but from first semester when I learnt C in college and Java from outside I got interested in those stuff. So I got into robotics club and was programmer of my team. Soon I realized that CS is not limited to languages so I did many things on my own from web and applied them.

I have done many Computer Science core courses from Udacity and Coursera like Algorithms, Theoretical Computer Science, Discrete Mathematics, Compilers, Database, Web-Technologies, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Graphics, Android etc.
Operating System, Networks and C I have studied in my college.
Not only I have learnt these subjects but worked on projects involving their knowledge.

I also have done official courses like Core and Advanced Java from professional training Institutes.
Language wise I know Assembly, C, Java, Python, Perl, Linux Shell

I have won 2-3 prizes in robotics national events(Image Processing n all) held at technical fest of top institutes of my country.
Also I was the Head Organizer of all CS events at my college fest.

I have done my 6 months internship in software at Texas Instruments where I made one language to another language converter, various graph algorithms, efficient word search engine, code-graph visualizer and other product specific Linux shell scripts. They were so happy with my work that they and Cadence offered me pre-placement offers after internship.
Also all my college projects specifically include software part like using my own coded Google Talk like chat system for controlling robot, devices and games for both Desktop and Android.
I have good GPA of 9.43/10 in academics.

My aim is to do MS in CS from reputated college(top 50 world) in US. But I feel my bachelors in electronics will come in my way though I share nearly same knowledge as any other CS guy of our college.

What would you advice me to do?
1) Now should I go for companies like CISCO first and gain some experience and then apply or
2) I have some chance of getting into good colleges if I apply this year.
3) Also I have a gap of good 2 months should I do a research internship. Will it help me? Coz I have talked to a very good professor of very good college on SOCIAL NETWORKS.
4)
Should I apply for Robotics as I believe I have more chance of getting selected in it because it is mixed kind of field but I am mainly interested in doing MS in CS.

I m very confused about how to proceed further as this tag of electronics has always made the things worse and have to convince recruiters or professors as they always have perception that I will be tough to guide.
I know that I won't have that much difficulty understanding things while doing MS.
But how do I tell admission committee. They"ll just reject my application looking at my branch.

Plz help me, my whole life depends on this decision.
Attached Thumbnails
in Electronics: Job in Software but Want to do MS in CS-abhinav_sharma_resume_01.png   in Electronics: Job in Software but Want to do MS in CS-abhinav_sharma_resume_02.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I don't see why a university would reject you for having a B.S. in Electronics; taking a masters degree in a different field than one's Bachelor's degree is very common in the US. But you really need to clean up that resume; there's too much stuff on there that isn't going to make sense to a US admissions officer, and also it needs proofreading. (note that I am not offering my services)

Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM

30 posts, read 96,120 times
Keep your resume to one page. It's too wordy.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I don't see why a university would reject you for having a B.S. in Electronics; taking a masters degree in a different field than one's Bachelor's degree is very common in the US. But you really need to clean up that resume; there's too much stuff on there that isn't going to make sense to a US admissions officer, and also it needs proofreading. (note that I am not offering my services)
Thanx,

Resume is not a problem, I"ll get into contacts of my senior or from professionals outside and get it corrected.
This one I used for companies.

Would you suggest me on going fir job for 1 or 2 year at CISCO in software? Will that strengthen my application to apply for CS or 6 month internship is enough
Should I do a research internship for 2 months in social networks? I think admission officers consider it more seriously than company internship though I was in RnD there and did some research work there also.
Because I personally think my resume is strong for companies pt. of view not for MS pt. of view.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseccus View Post
Keep your resume to one page. It's too wordy.
2 pages are ok if you have a lot of work exp.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 PM

30 posts, read 96,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
2 pages are ok if you have a lot of work exp.
Absolutely. I was talking about OP's resume though. He's a young buck, born in 1992. No need for two pages. It's too wordy as it stands now.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseccus View Post
Absolutely. I was talking about OP's resume though. He's a young buck, born in 1992. No need for two pages. It's too wordy as it stands now.
Agreed.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Is there any way you can take the CSCO job and pursue the MS in CS? Is the location of the CSCO position near a University that offers MS in CS? Maybe you can work during the day and attend class nights/weekends. Go to school part time. Does't have to be a top school, IMO, just an MS in CS.

This way you have the experience AND the MS in CS. You'll be worth more money for you next position with the experience AND MS.

To top it off, CSCO might have tuition assistance to pay some of the tuition. Eve if they don't, I think the experience would be great for you. CSCO experience would be a great company to have on your resume.

Another option...maybe you work at CSCO awhile and go to school part time. Then maybe take a 5 month 'leave of absense' to complete your MS. then you can go full-time to school the last 2 semesters. And your job would be waiting for you when you finished school. (possibly transfer to a top school the last 2 semesters if possible, if a top school is important to you and if you can get the time off work.)

BTW, I worked full-time in IT and went to school for CS (undergraduate) at night/weekend. Many classes were much easier for me due to having the IT work experience.

when you work and go to school, your managers at work and your peers are very understanding about your school schedule. They really respect you for going to school. They don't try to get you to stay late for work because they understand you are in school.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Cisco is almost cultish. I have a strong background in high tech sales but they want you to have all of these expensive certs. that competitors like Avaya don't. I stopped applying there when I saw the time and money it would take me just to sell Cisco.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Is there any way you can take the CSCO job and pursue the MS in CS? Is the location of the CSCO position near a University that offers MS in CS? Maybe you can work during the day and attend class nights/weekends. Go to school part time. Does't have to be a top school, IMO, just an MS in CS.

This way you have the experience AND the MS in CS. You'll be worth more money for you next position with the experience AND MS.

To top it off, CSCO might have tuition assistance to pay some of the tuition. Eve if they don't, I think the experience would be great for you. CSCO experience would be a great company to have on your resume.

Another option...maybe you work at CSCO awhile and go to school part time. Then maybe take a 5 month 'leave of absense' to complete your MS. then you can go full-time to school the last 2 semesters. And your job would be waiting for you when you finished school. (possibly transfer to a top school the last 2 semesters if possible, if a top school is important to you and if you can get the time off work.)

BTW, I worked full-time in IT and went to school for CS (undergraduate) at night/weekend. Many classes were much easier for me due to having the IT work experience.

when you work and go to school, your managers at work and your peers are very understanding about your school schedule. They really respect you for going to school. They don't try to get you to stay late for work because they understand you are in school.
Thanks for your reply.
Since Cisco branch I m placed is in India, Bangalore. Though there is 1 university IISC there but that ranks ~150 worldwide.
And US universities gives you much better exposure, placements, research level etc.
Yes they give some financial help for doing MS but after a experience of 2 years on recommendation of manager that too I guess nearby work location but not in US(I'm not sure as they won't pay even 10% of hefty tution fees in US).

So I have to leave it somewhere down the line in an year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment