U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
Default How to identify fake H1B job posting

Nowadays applying a job online is really tedious, time-consuming. The job applications processed by TALEO servers (in the form of [url]https://xxx.taleo.net/[/url]) are especially annoying - why do they ask so much irrelevant information? I spend hours but can only complete a limited number of applications.

What is most frustrating is some of the job postings are really fake. They are actually specially designed for H1B workers and have already been filled. H1B sponsoring companies are simply to collect resumes so they can disqualify other workers who are stupid enough to apply. I have zero chance of getting the job even if my qualification demonstrates a perfect match.

Discerning these job postings are difficult and requires even more time to do an FBI-like investigation. The following are two examples.

(1) This post from Genworth North America Corp originally clearly stated it was for the purpose of processing H1B and Green Card application, presumably due to the mistake of HR personnel. Many people probably had noticed it and the job post has since removed the reference of "PERMANENT ALIEN LABOR CERTIFICATION". The following is the job post which has been updated.

[url]https://www.genworth.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=13743[/url]

Ask yourself, if you see the current job descriptions above, can you tell that it is a fake hiring?

The original post that does include "AN APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT ALIEN LABOR CERTIFICATION " is as follows:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Requisition: RP13743
Posting Date: Feb/22/12
Job Title: Senior IT Systems Analyst
Interest Category: Information Technology
Business Unit: Retirement & Protection
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
State: Virginia
City: Richmond

Description: JOB DUTIES: Evaluate and recommend hardware configurations, define hardware/software requirements and capacities and adhere to technical standards. Define and implement automated application solutions. Use established operating procedures to provide troubleshooting and maintenance end-user assistance. Validate both hardware and software aspects of desktop services to optimize end-user satisfaction and productivity.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: Position requires a Bachelor’s degree, or foreign equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience as an IT Analyst, Systems Analyst, Software Engineer or related position. Position also requires the following experience: 3 years working with ETL for business intelligence / data warehousing solution; 2 years working with Informatica ETL and Unix Shell Scripting; 3 years working with SQL and on databases like Oracle, SQL server etc.; full lifecycle project experience in developing ETL solutions and standards; database development, design and data modeling; and working with IT security, networking, application development, project management, desktop / server management; and production services, continual maintenance and enhancement of multiple applications and issue resolution by analysis and co-ordination.

SALARY: $91,400 to $100,000 per year

WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours/week (8:30 am to 5:30 pm)

6620 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23230

QUALIFIED APPLICANTS:

Please contact: Saswati Khandat
Genworth North America Corporation
6620 West Broad Street
Building 4, 2nd Floor
Richmond, VA 23230

THIS NOTICE IS BEING POSTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE FILING OF AN APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT ALIEN LABOR CERTIFICATION. ANY PERSON MAY PROVIDE DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE BEARING ON THE APPLICATION TO THE LOCAL EMPLOYMENT SERVICE OFFICE AND/OR REGIONAL CERTIFYING OFFICER OF THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR.

U.S. Department of Labor
Employment and Training Administration
Harris Tower
233 Peachtree Street, Suite 410
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: (404) 893-0101
Fax: (404) 893-4642
-------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) The following job posting from Deloitte, Sr. Product Analyst (Reference Code: E12CHIOIM004DF38), looks pretty appealing for an IT system person.

Sr. Product Analyst
http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/experienced-professionals/opportunities.aspx?JobReqCode=E12CHIOIM004DF38 (broken link)

Is there any thing looking suspicious? Well, an experience IT worker and those who understand LC/LCA guidelines can tell convincingly that it is an H1B fake job, whose corresponding H1B LCA filing (Case# T-200-12067-369480) is here:

[url]http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-UnitedStates/Local%20Assets/Documents/Labor%20Condition%20Applications/2012/03%20-%20March/030912_seniorproductanalyst_hermitage.pdf[/url]

Study the two documents carefully and you can tell too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 69,136 times
You wont know. They are valid postings. Many companies follow this practice of posting jobs that are already filled by current visa sponsored workers. Internally the company may use one person to posts all such jobs are have a certain tagline in the posting or something but as an outside you will never know.

Unread 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM

4,448 posts, read 6,389,451 times
There are a lot of scammers in that industry. Nothing personal - quite of few of them Indian dot. Run the IP address of the recruiter or the job posting. Scary what you may find. Sometimes even tied into firms in the respective industry.

Unread 04-20-2013, 11:59 AM

262 posts, read 176,422 times
Default my experience

Was recently asked to consider an IT role because they found my resume online. The email was from someone with a non-indian name. I normally will not speak to indian recruiters nor will I respond to emails if they have an indian name. I frequently get spam and phone calls from "indian recruiters" whom I disregard as spam.

But this one sounded legit. I gave the woman a call. She was so eager for me to send her some of my work samples because they were desperate for their client, since the last candidate walked out on them. She said I was certain to get an interview if I could just send them an example of a specific task I have listed on my resume. She didn't seem real knowledgeable for a recruiter, but figured she was just young and new. She claims to be from a national company known in the bay area. So I sent her three extra things. She responded that it was exactly what they were looking for and complimented me, etc...

Suddenly they are silent. They said I was certain to get a phone interview within the next two days and a face-to-face the following week. So after a couple of days I called and she seemed very lethargic. That energetic enthusiasm turned into a laid-back confident indian accent. She confirmed that she was the same person I had spoken to because she knew who I was, etc. I asked her why the big rush for me to get her the paperwork she asked for and now they don't seem to care. She said she forwarded it to her supervisor [mahesh?] and hopefully will hear from him soon. This "supervisor" isn't even here in the US!

I'm so confused. Why would anyone do such a thing? Does this sound a bit shady or is it just the way things are these days?

Unread 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM

5,321 posts, read 2,760,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
Was recently asked to consider an IT role because they found my resume online. The email was from someone with a non-indian name. I normally will not speak to indian recruiters nor will I respond to emails if they have an indian name. I frequently get spam and phone calls from "indian recruiters" whom I disregard as spam.

But this one sounded legit. I gave the woman a call. She was so eager for me to send her some of my work samples because they were desperate for their client, since the last candidate walked out on them. She said I was certain to get an interview if I could just send them an example of a specific task I have listed on my resume. She didn't seem real knowledgeable for a recruiter, but figured she was just young and new. She claims to be from a national company known in the bay area. So I sent her three extra things. She responded that it was exactly what they were looking for and complimented me, etc...

Suddenly they are silent. They said I was certain to get a phone interview within the next two days and a face-to-face the following week. So after a couple of days I called and she seemed very lethargic. That energetic enthusiasm turned into a laid-back confident indian accent. She confirmed that she was the same person I had spoken to because she knew who I was, etc. I asked her why the big rush for me to get her the paperwork she asked for and now they don't seem to care. She said she forwarded it to her supervisor [mahesh?] and hopefully will hear from him soon. This "supervisor" isn't even here in the US!

I'm so confused. Why would anyone do such a thing? Does this sound a bit shady or is it just the way things are these days?
It sounds shady to me. They wanted to create the perception they were something else so people like you would not pass them over.

I had one Indian recruiter contact me, may have been a hacker frankly, and we wanted to know if I would take a job with state for an hourly rate without even discussing and when I tried to look him up on linkedin it appeared very shady. He made it seem like he was in Denver but he was in India. I don't think I would deal with an Indian recruiter because I don't think giving SS# to people overseas is smart I have already been the victim of identity theft and US laws don't protect us from foreign scammers.

Unread 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM

400 posts, read 323,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crradv View Post
You wont know. They are valid postings. Many companies follow this practice of posting jobs that are already filled by current visa sponsored workers. Internally the company may use one person to posts all such jobs are have a certain tagline in the posting or something but as an outside you will never know.
Exactly. You wont no unless you are part of the company. The jobs postings are NO different than the standard posting. But internally they may be a default tagline or a default person in HR who posts nothing but for the purpose of filling H1B/ immigration employment requirements. Theoretically if a company can find a person who is an American citizen who can do the job then they shouldn't hire the H1B person. In practice often dozens if not hundreds of qualified US citizens apply for these phantom postings but have no chance as the company has no intention on hiring anyone new. However for these and other types of phantom job postings for legitimate companies you as an outsider will never know.

Shady job postings and shady recruiters of false jobs and fake companies are something completely different....

Unread 04-20-2013, 05:02 PM

400 posts, read 323,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There are a lot of scammers in that industry. Nothing personal - quite of few of them Indian dot. Run the IP address of the recruiter or the job posting. Scary what you may find. Sometimes even tied into firms in the respective industry.
how do you run someone's IP address?

Unread 04-20-2013, 05:41 PM

5,321 posts, read 2,760,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
how do you run someone's IP address?
whois.net whois.com and some others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment