U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM

841 posts, read 817,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
My all-time favorite: Receptionist who can also do AutoCAD. I'm not making this up.
Sounds like a money saver...!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM

10,051 posts, read 13,843,270 times
When I've helped friends with their resumes or cover letters, if my eyes glaze over at their "resume-speak," I assume the same would happen for anyone reading it. When I used to write cover letters (when applying for jobs outside what I usually do), I always heard back, always heard that my cover letter was a real attention-grabber. That's because I write in a conversational tone, write the way I speak, and I don't tend to say stuff like, "I am searching for a position where I can contribute to the company as a self-starter team player... glaze over...

Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM

16,936 posts, read 13,897,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
1,500+ words of nonsense and over-generalized blech.

If I had a dime for every time I read the words "stakeholders," "integrate," "facilitate," "motivated," "engagement," and so on.

Meanwhile, when you show up to actually do the work you realize it has close to nothing to do with any of the cryptic ramblings in the job ad.
I hate this word.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM

6,922 posts, read 4,728,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
1,500+ words of nonsense and over-generalized blech.

If I had a dime for every time I read the words "stakeholders," "integrate," "facilitate," "motivated," "engagement," and so on.

Meanwhile, when you show up to actually do the work you realize it has close to nothing to do with any of the cryptic ramblings in the job ad.
IT doesn't matter.

They're the ones with the job and you're not. IF they want to type in a pre-school nursery rhyme in the ad, they can, and if you question them about it, you won't get the job.

That's all they see it (And unfortunately, they're right to see it that way).

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I've helped friends with their resumes or cover letters, if my eyes glaze over at their "resume-speak," I assume the same would happen for anyone reading it. When I used to write cover letters (when applying for jobs outside what I usually do), I always heard back, always heard that my cover letter was a real attention-grabber. That's because I write in a conversational tone, write the way I speak, and I don't tend to say stuff like, "I am searching for a position where I can contribute to the company as a self-starter team player... glaze over...
However, there's a VERY thin line between being convresational and professional and overstepping your bounds and coming across as outright awkward and unprofessional.

Where does one draw the line?

Consider that every person is different, and on the presenting end, what one person says may come across as different if another person says it. Likewise, every person is different. On the receiving end, what one considers well-spoken, another may consider rude and disrespectful. What makes it even harder too is that you can't read another person to get a feel of their personality through a computer screen.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM

89 posts, read 129,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
IT doesn't matter.

They're the ones with the job and you're not. IF they want to type in a pre-school nursery rhyme in the ad, they can, and if you question them about it, you won't get the job.

thanks, we had no idea. i mean why even bother posting?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,770,793 times
A good one is "Advancement Opportunities"...

Advancement Opportunities do not pay my rent!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM

639 posts, read 348,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
My all-time favorite: Receptionist who can also do AutoCAD. I'm not making this up.
these are the d'bags that are whining about "not being able to find qualified workers". A laundry list of bs @ $9/hr lol

Old 03-26-2012, 01:23 PM
FBJ

33,614 posts, read 22,894,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
IT doesn't matter.

I think everyone knows that, this thread is poking fun at job advertisements not complaining about them.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think everyone knows that, this thread is poking fun at job advertisements not complaining about them.
I'm well aware of that, but other than the brief spike in personal satisfaction one gets from making fun of them, the people posting ths ads will never realize how idiotic and that we're making fun of them, thus the situation will never change, so what's the point in wasting one's time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment