U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM
FBJ

33,614 posts, read 22,894,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I am pessimistic, pissed as hell, depressed etc... too. Every time i sit down to do the whole job hunt thing, I feel exhausted. I try not to be negative, we all know the saying "negativity only breeds negativity,"- I try to be positive.

But really after sending out so many resumes and cover letters and only getting the customary: "Thank you for applying" email and nothing else, it is hard to stay positive. I mean it would not be so bad if I had an in person interview, an interview over the phone and then got turned down for the job-at least I can say "well I had a shot".

But really today you get nothing, you get absolutely nothing, stupid Thank you email and thats it. To make it worse the parents assume you are being lazy, that you are just holding out for that dream job , turning down every other job offer.

No Mom and Dad, I am not being picky, there is no job for me to turn down in the first place (and you can bet if I actually did get a job offer, I would not turn it down) there are no jobs, why can you not understand this? -people are applying everywhere, they want to work, this generation wants to work- make no mistake any attitudes of entitlement quickly disappear.

When you and every other liberal arts grad is applying for that minimum wage job, when every employer wants experience before they hire you (but then how do you get experience?), it is really hard not to be pissed. Dear lord I am trying, good god I am trying to see the good, that it will get better. It is hard, it is bloody freaking hard. Spend 40-50k something on a degree, around 10-20k in debt and can't even get the minimum wage work- Bloody awesome.

-End Rant...

Apply Less and research more. The more knowledge you gain about job searching the better you will feel. Applying to tons of jobs everyday is not a productive job search activity at all. Also expand your network so you can gain more knowledge about what's happening in your field not to get a job. But if you end up getting a job that's good too right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM

841 posts, read 817,857 times
I agree with TV Guy.

Stop applying for ads and start researching WHERE or WHAT industry you want to work for and target the companies.

The best jobs I have gotten have been ones not published. My resume was at places and they hired me before placing ads.

Another thing is you can call places and try to reach the hiring manager. In a polite way, not demanding, you can ask the manager of the dept. (not HR) if they are hiring or if you can just discuss what you can do for them.

Yeah, it's scary but chucking your resume at a job where 100 or more people are also trying doesn't make sense.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,130,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well you are definitely not to provide your SSN before talking to a real live person.

Most online applications make your SS a required field, so if you don't fill it in, you can't send the app.

But then, most online applications are just BS anyway. All they need is a resume, but most don't want to read them, they want everything boiled down and to be selected by a computer program as to who is good for an interview.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Most online applications make your SS a required field, so if you don't fill it in, you can't send the app.

But then, most online applications are just BS anyway. All they need is a resume, but most don't want to read them, they want everything boiled down and to be selected by a computer program as to who is good for an interview.
Well you don't apply to the job, simple as that.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,130,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I agree with TV Guy.

Stop applying for ads and start researching WHERE or WHAT industry you want to work for and target the companies.

The best jobs I have gotten have been ones not published. My resume was at places and they hired me before placing ads.

Another thing is you can call places and try to reach the hiring manager. In a polite way, not demanding, you can ask the manager of the dept. (not HR) if they are hiring or if you can just discuss what you can do for them.

Yeah, it's scary but chucking your resume at a job where 100 or more people are also trying doesn't make sense.

Sorry, but most places won't let you walk in and talk to a manager. The hiring process is through Human Resources. Now, if you are talking about a <15 employee company, you might get to do just what you are talking about. But few do. What you talk about was common in the 1960s, the more you called, the more you showed interest, more likely to get the job.

Yes, it does not make sense, but that is the game now, and they can set the rules, and no matter how much you don't like it, that is reality.

Unless you know someone, or have a skill no one else has, you're taking a number and standing in line.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM

428 posts, read 369,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Ugh, this is more of a rant but anyone can join in. I HATE this game of trying to find a job.

I'm so pessimistic these days when applying for one. I applied to a job almost 2 days ago and I feel I'm perfect for it. I fit the description perfectly. I haven't heard anything yet, which is to be expected, but I'm so negative about it that I'm instantly thinking great, I won't get it. They won't call me. I probably should have said something differently. I probably shouldn't have written so-and-so the way I did.

Why am I like this? Because this is a freaking game! Seems like with the way things are, employers just find the dumbest things to count against anyone these days.

I don't know, am I the only person who has become so negative like this when it comes to the whole job search and applying game?

Sorry to rant. Ugh.

ME TOO !!! Thats all I have to say... Hang in there and yes it sucks.. I feel just as frustrated as you, however not as argumentative like some folks here. It is what is and eventually something will turn up. But some days I just want to scream

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM

1,002 posts, read 708,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Sorry, but most places won't let you walk in and talk to a manager. The hiring process is through Human Resources. Now, if you are talking about a <15 employee company, you might get to do just what you are talking about. But few do. What you talk about was common in the 1960s, the more you called, the more you showed interest, more likely to get the job.

Yes, it does not make sense, but that is the game now, and they can set the rules, and no matter how much you don't like it, that is reality.

Unless you know someone, or have a skill no one else has, you're taking a number and standing in line.
Heh I actually tried that, went in person etc... was promptly told by HR "Apply Online, everything is online now" and away I went...

Career fair coming up at my college April 20th, hoping to impress, internship, job, you want me to stand over there in the corner- I'll do it

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Heh I actually tried that, went in person etc... was promptly told by HR "Apply Online, everything is online now" and away I went...

Career fair coming up at my college April 20th, hoping to impress, internship, job, you want me to stand over there in the corner- I'll do it
My friend went to a job fair with just a note pad to write down the names of the company and collect info. He didn't take any resumes

Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 PM

746 posts, read 777,116 times
Have to agree with nebulous on this one . You can not talk to a real person these days. It is more or less not allowed. Hiring is done online run by HR. I was an intern if someone came in with a resume. I was told not to take it tell them to go to HR. When I was in college I went to a job fair almost no one took resumes. They told everyone apply online. Unless you have a niche skill set no one has you are just standing in line. Waiting in line for your number to be called like a numbers game. It is like 200 to 300 for every job.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Have to agree with nebulous on this one . You can not talk to a real person these days. It is more or less not allowed. Hiring is done online run by HR. I was an intern if someone came in with a resume. I was told not to take it tell them to go to HR. When I was in college I went to a job fair almost no one took resumes. They told everyone apply online. Unless you have a niche skill set no one has you are just standing in line. Waiting in line for your number to be called like a numbers game. It is like 200 to 300 for every job.
Job Fairs are for networking not employment. No need to take a resume
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment